The name says it all... hello everyone.

N
NoobTooner
just sayin hey.. and seeing if i could post here. for some reason i can't post to the classifieds? anyway i'll be headed up to the clack this weekend for some good old bankie action.
give you an update then.

in the meanwhile and the reason i'm here,
I'm just into my first pontoon.
14'/6 1/2' w/22'' tubes.. woooohoooo!!!!
can't WAIT TO HIT THE WATER
but before i can im looking for some oars.
9ft er so?
anyone help with some advice and or OARS.
also the rig is pretty bare so please feel free to pm me any esentials you might have for sale.

tight lines everyone.

Ps.
admins :rolleyes:please excuse the post here but like i said earlier i can't seem to post to the buy/sell sections of the forums.

PC260010.jpg

Last edited:
D
durantmatt
NoobTooner said:
just sayin hey.. and seeing if i could post here. for some reason i can't post to the classifieds? anyway i'll be headed up to the clack this weekend for some good old bankie action.
give you an update then.

in the meanwhile and the reason i'm here,
I'm just into my first pontoon.
14'/6 1/2' w/22'' tubes.. woooohoooo!!!!
can't WAIT TO HIT THE WATER
but before i can im looking for some oars.
9ft er so?
anyone help with some advice and or OARS.
also the rig is pretty bare so please feel free to pm me any esentials you might have for sale.

tight lines everyone.

Ps.
admins :rolleyes:please excuse the post here but like i said earlier i can't seem to post to the buy/sell sections of the forums.

You can only post on the buy/sell if you have over 10 posts or threads.

N
NoobTooner
oh.. ok. thanks! i'll get right on that then. so here's #3 then.
btw nice bass.

W
waco
Welcome to the forum and i hope you find what you looking for!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
welcome!

N
NoobTooner
waco.. brandon...
thnks and me to!
got a lead on some oars and checked em out tonight but they turned out to be a set of mismatched old woodies (and not too good looking ether).. but maybe good for a spare or something.. we'll see. I remain hopefull.
:think: honestly though, I'm prob just gonna have to sell some stuff and get the scratch for a new set of carlisles or lamiglas oars.
man those lamies loook SWEEEEEET!
the hole wood thing kinda gets me anxious. the last thing i need is an epic failure mid drift. especially being a noob.
i have nightmares about all the things that could go wrong.

Oh that reminds me.. i'm gonna post a pic of the new rig back at the top...

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
:D how ya like that? :dance:

F
FishFiddle
SAWEEETT!! You will have a blast! Check out 'Franks Oars'. They are wood and pretty nice....not sure of the price. He is out of Eugene on Cloverdale Rd., may actually be a Creswell address or Pleasant Hill. He's a neat older fella.

N
NoobTooner
FishFiddle said:
SAWEEETT!! You will have a blast! Check out 'Franks Oars'. They are wood and pretty nice....not sure of the price. He is out of Eugene on Cloverdale Rd., may actually be a Creswell address or Pleasant Hill. He's a neat older fella.

:clap:thanks!!! i'll have to look him up.
what's his is user name?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Spare oar-locks, spare oar-locks, spare oar-locks!

Welcome to the forum!!!

G
Growbug
Wood oars... cos they float.
Although filling the hollow aluminum oars with foam may appear to work.. they sink after about 3 mins of you chasing them.

If you get oars by the weekend, come join us on Harriet.

Next best thing to "spare oarlocks" is to get the clamp on oarlocks. Probably work better on a smaller toon as you would have to have longer oars on that one.

N
NoobTooner
GraphiteZen said:
Spare oar-locks, spare oar-locks, spare oar-locks!

Welcome to the forum!!!

So you see the open kind of locks i have on the toon right? ..at the bottom there's a ring pin so they're pinned in place. i can't realy see them falling out. so are they known to break? should i be looking for a closed ring type?

G
Growbug
They are something that you can't row without, and they get stolen by pixies. A spare set means you need never be afraid of those pixies.

N
NoobTooner
Growbug said:
They are something that you can't row without, and they get stolen by pixies. A spare set means you need never be afraid of those pixies.

ahhhh. YOU ARE WISE SIR GROWBUG and MASTER GRAPHITEZEN.
spare oarlocks it is then.

also i was meaning to re to your last post ..bug.
i gotta be honest here, wood oars have been giving me nightmares. i can just see one snapping on me when i need them most. how bout those fancy (cataract/lamiglas) oars. the ones with the graphite/carbonfiber shafts.. they float? or are they just like those aluminum sinkers?

also i realy have to thank you guys for all your advise! like i said before, this is my first toon and though i can sit and study/meditate on all that i should do and need, nothing can substitute for real life exp. so thanks again, i realy do appreciate you taking the time to help a NOOB out.

G
Growbug
To be honest, what i would recommend over any thing except spare oar-locks is a spare oar.

On a toon your size, you could have wooden main oars, and a collapsible aluminum stowed somewhere as a 'backup'

G
GDBrown
Growbug said:

I drilled the hole at the bottom of the oar lock big enough for a small lock. It won't stop real thieves but keeps honest folks honest! Yea, a spare oar is more important that spare oar locks! you have plenty of room on that toon. Remember with one oar all you can do is go in circles!

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
nice. ok so I'm gonna take a trip down to andy and bax tonight. i have a set of old woodies that were gifted to me but one of them is realy looking like its in poor shape. the other will make a nice spare. i'll prob pick up a set of cataract sgg or those lamiglas shafts with a decent blade and that will get me started.
i'm still looking for a few accessories and safety stuff before i can hit the water but from the looks of things, the rivers arent exactly too friendly right now anyway.
i'll post a pic of the new oars tonight.
thanks for the advise guys. ill update later and we'll talk more.

G
Growbug
I showed up at Silverton Reservoir last year, put the toon, etc out, inflated it, put it in the water and had brain fart that i had left the car open. I walked about 30 yards, pressed the remote to lock the car and walked back. In that time one of the local "fishing pixies" that hang out around there during summer had managed to lob on of my oarlocks into the lake. I am not worried about the teenagers, i am large enough to scare most of them. Its the little buggers that annoy me.. "Look its a boat, whats this?" plop
I would have no qualms throwing a-hole teenager in after the oarlock, but something makes me feel bad about thinking that over a 5 year old.

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
:):D:lol::clap: oooh my god....
well at least snatch the icecream out of the little runts' OTHER hand and thow THAT in!!!

TOO FUNNY!

OK so update time..
picked up the lami shafts.
PC300018-1.jpg
and they look sooooo sweet on too.
PC300020.jpg
...9 and a half and decided against the real nice light blades. instead i went with the sawyer Indestructibles since these first trips will be just that.
i can just see me now. coming up on a rock i wasn't ready for and using em for more of a shovel in the panic.
so the list shrinks a little.

..oar keepers,
tethers,
throw bag,
drill out the locks and add LOCKS.
throw in a few dry bags and I'm off to the races!

..oh and the big one,
refab a flat-top for the trailer
shouldn't be too big a deal though.
man..
I'm getting pumped!

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
nice looking oars

Top Bottom