Tackle cleanliness

N
nativefish
So most of my gear i just throw back in my plano container after fishing. This has resulted in mangled messes of spinners and spoons and plugs. I always wash my plugs before i fish em as i carry a small container of lemon joy and a brush to give a quick once over before i toss em. Should i be cleaning the hardware? And what good ways of storage are out there besides just tossen in the box. I think leaving them in the package would help but does anyone actually do that?

E
eugene1
I clean all my gear in lemon joy soap and water at home before I go out. Plugs, spinners, flashers, even leaders for trolling herring! Not sure it helps at all though...

When I'm done with a plug or spinner, i put it into the "used gear bucket" on my boat. Keeps the clean ones clean, and i just need to wash the dirty ones back home then into the tackle box.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I agree on the non-ultra Joy, and when I have things (lures, flashers, dodgers) that have leaders tied or pre-connect to them, I often use sandwich or snack size ziplocks to keep them ready to go, coiling the leader around my hand when putting them in the bags, so it un-loops cleanly. I do end up with a pocket full of empty bags at the end of an outing and a "used gear bin" of chaos where I toss the ones I have used, but it keeps them clean and ready to use quickly when out fishing...

E
eugene1
Good idea with the zip lock's. I use them also especially for prerigged leaders-flasher-bumper set ups for trolling herring. I reuse the bags until they get too beat up.

N
nativefish
What about bank fisherman though?

T
troutmasta
I cut the top OFF a milk jug and I hang my spinners and even used but still sharp hooks on the rim with the hardware from the lure or the hook shank of the hook on the inside of the milk jug "bucket". then I hose every thing down w WD-40 and let it air dry. I read about it in Salmon Trout Steelhead magazine. I have limited on coho since. im sure itll help w steelhead.

Last edited:
T
todd_brooks
nativefish said:
What about bank fisherman though?

I don't think of it as being necessary with spinners/spoons and the like, unless your bothering with sent. Then a wash would be in order. Spinners and spoon are a reactionary triggered bite so sent doesn't play a big part at least in my mind.
I think the WD 40 sounds interesting and its better to have em drip dry like that vs using it like a sent as some do. But I think if everyone was doing it, it would be a problem for our waters.
I don't use em myself but they do make hook covers that might help stop tangles in the box. I just try and keep it to three or four spinners or spoons per box section so they can't get too tangeled any who.

W
waco
I don't wash mine! They don't get that dirty. I just do what Todd_Brooks does! ^^

N
nativefish
ya i normally dont either waco, just the clack coho have got me beat this year!... i am started to over think everything.

O
OnTheDrop
nativefish said:
ya i normally dont either waco, just the clack coho have got me beat this year!... i am started to over think everything.[/QUO
I've never really bothered about cleaning my stuff as well. Kinda of just throw in and go. Occasionally i might clean a few. And I've never really had it affect my fishing.

In my opinion the clack Coho is one of the worst fisheries. Granted, go to the bowling alley and you can get 5-10 in a day. But it's 95 % floss job. Hooked prob 100's if not thousands down there until a few years back I realized it was just flossing. ( Lost respect for the hole itself ) for coho anyway. All of the other Chinook/Steelys bite. Fished this river since I was a child and only caught a handful on an actual egg bite and one on a spinner that was a jack. Now go to a coastal stream or even the sandy at times and you can sit there and wack 'em on whatever. And they ACTUALLY bite. My go to is a 1/8oz pink jig. I'd be up at Mciver for summers ( Been hot lately ) if I was fishing the clack... Or i'd get coastal with it if possible. Loads of biters there. Good luck on your success.

Tanner

W
waco
Go coastal tons of fish on any of those rivers! I haven't spend a single day in the clack or sandy yet, if i'm fishing I'd go coastal!

O
osmosis
Lemon joy everything in my boat. Including reels and handles periodically.

O
OnTheFly
osmosis said:
Lemon joy everything in my boat. Including reels and handles periodically.
And leave the Cheetos at home.;)

E
eggs
I rub all my stuff with banana peels... never caught a thing since!

O
osmosis
banana's are a myth. Fried chicken and potato chips are not.

Reactions: Boombollie
W
waco
osmosis said:

Now I know why ninja(Jimmy) never catch anything! He is always with fried chicken! LOL

E
eggs
waco said:
Now I know why ninja(Jimmy) never catch anything! He is always with fried chicken! LOL
Bahahahaa

T
troutmasta
osmosis said:

X2