Surfperch status?

S
sportsmanlio
I am going camping in Brookings next week, and I am curious if and where the surfperch are running? We usually catch a few a day on our trips, but I would love to catch a number of them.

Also, I have never caught a striped surfperch--although one of my friends has while fishing with me--and I was curious if there was any secret(s) to catching more?

We will be in Brookings, but anything within 50ish miles is fair game. I would appreciate any and all suggestions :)

C_Run
C_Run
I am not real familiar with Brookings but there is likely good surf perch fishing right there. However, up the road at Gold Beach, I do know that the beach by the mouth of Hunter Creek on the south end of Gold Beach is popular for perch fishing. I have also seen folks doing well on a sandbar inside the jetty of the Rogue, south side. Also, I have seen surf fishing going on at Whaleshead Park but don't know if that's a good spot. The striped ones would be in more rocky locations or by kelp as opposed to off the sandy beaches.

Reactions: sportsmanlio
S
sportsmanlio
Thanks! We tried fishing in Gold Beach two years ago from the jetty, but we got skunked. We ended up being trapped by the deafeningly-loud sirens that kept going off. We had fun watching the sea-lions, though.

We fish the Meyers Creek mouth every year, and that is about halfway between Brookings and Gold Beach. How far away is Hunter Creek from there, do you think?

As for the striped perch, my friend caught his off the Brookings jetty, so that makes sense. I appreciate the info. I'll let you know how we do.

C_Run
C_Run
Hunter Creek is right before you get into town at Gold Beach. There is a huge rock at the edge of a big gravel parking lot right before the bridge on the creek. When you get to Brookings, to do some recon., go to the fish cleaning station at the Port of Brookings or whatever it's called where all the boats are. You can get intel there, I bet.

S
sportsmanlio
I know where you mean. I think we'll try that! We usually hit up the bait shops and the fish cleaning station, but most people there are just trolling with their boats, so it doesn't usually help us much. A few years back, a guy had some nice salmon, too. One silver and one king (must've been legal to keep them back then?)

M
Mad dog
Usually there are lots of striped perch inside the jetty tips on the Chetco. Chetco point can be good as well, look for rocks and kelp and you will find striped perch.
Coast021.jpg
Usually find greenling in the same spots.
Coast012.jpg

S
sportsmanlio
Nice fish! We usually fish the ocean side (south) of the S. Jetty that extends out from Brookings Harbor. We catch greenling in the 10-12" range, but that is bigger than any I've seen!

What do you mean by "inside the jetty tips?" Also, where is Chetco Point? I'll take any tips I can get, because this is a once-a-year trip for me, and I want to make the most of it!

Thanks for the info, by the way!

M
Mad dog
sportsmanlio said:
Nice fish! We usually fish the ocean side (south) of the S. Jetty that extends out from Brookings Harbor. We catch greenling in the 10-12" range, but that is bigger than any I've seen!

What do you mean by "inside the jetty tips?" Also, where is Chetco Point? I'll take any tips I can get, because this is a once-a-year trip for me, and I want to make the most of it!

Thanks for the info, by the way!

The river side of the jetty. Usually you can see schools of striped perch or rainbow perch as the locals in Brookings call them. We rarely fish for them though.... we are usually after lingcod!
LowTide2008050.jpg
Chetco point is just north of the North jetty. There is a trail that heads to the end of the point at the sewage treatment plant in Brookings. Chetco point is a good place to catch lingcod as well!