Surf perch at Lincoln City

C
cdumitru78
Fished for about 3 hours today in the AM on the incoming, bite was HOT, limited out and could have caught more. I was fishing with Gulp worms, beach right in front of Sandcastle, using 2 ounces weight at the bottom. Fun day of fishing, get out of there if you have time. I will get some pics up later today, ask away if you have questions.

T
TimberTodd
Fished Garibaldi Wednesday morning. Caught 11 between 9 and 11:30. I was the only one on the beach. Couldn't say that for the mouth of the jetty though.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like a relaxing, fun way to spend the day. How big do surf perch get and do you have a favorite recipe?

G
Gulfstream
Sounds like a great day! I like em fried crispy with some lemon! Also the top of the filet is great for sashimi

C
cdumitru78
I got some pics, I will post later today. The biggest ones are close to a pound, I think... most of them are smaller. I gotta admit, I catch them and I give them to a friend that cleans and cooks them, I get invited to eat some of them! Fried crispy they taste great, I tried them on the barbecue and it didn't taste as good.

F
Fishpdx
Wow I fished newport jetty and fishermans rock today with no luck not even a bite. used jigs,plastics,shrimp,sandchrimps , weird thing was theres no wind but the waves were huge. I mean huge as in I never saw them like this before. Happy that you had good luck, I might actually drive there and fish a bit, any recommendations?

C
cdumitru78
Yeah, waves were pretty big too where I fished. Never fished the places you mentioned, sorry, no input there. I tend to keep it really simple and I really only target perch. I use a simple set up, weight at the bottom, and I go anywhere between 2 ounces all the way up to 4, based on conditions, I want to make sure waves don't throw my set up back to the shore too fast. I set up two hooks first one about 12 to 18 inches above the weight and the other a further 12 inches up. I use Gulp red worms almost exclusively, although I've done well with live shrimp. I almost always fish the incoming tide, start about 2 to 3 hours before high tide, fish through incoming. Tons of places along the beach, nothing special. Remember, you don't need cast way out there, actually, I get most of my fish closer to shore than you would think. Cast out, work your way in slowly. I have caught large fish in knee deep water.

As far as exact location, I was right in front of the public bathrooms off 32nd to the left off the hotel as you looking at the ocean. I tend to work an area, if I don't get any bites for 3 casts or so, I move a bit, these fish school.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

C
cdumitru78

P
playhooky
You hit the jackpot! Nice haul. I fished that same area recently only I was just a bit north of the motel. Tried diligently on the incoming tide (couple hours). There were really large breakers. Had to be extra cautious when wading into the surf the day I was there. I threw 2" chartreuse Gulp Worms and Red Saltwater Worms on a double rig. An ounce and a half might not have been quite enough weight for how heavy the surf was. Anyway, it was my first attempt at trying for Redtails...... low and behold I couldn't get the skunk out of the box for anything but I'll be back there one of these days after looking at your picture. Thanks for the post. Those are beauties!