Surf fishing Nehalem area

O
Ole tex
Be spending the hot months in the Nehalem area, would appreciate any advice on surf fishing in that vicinity... I love to long cast the surf or jetties and have plenty of equipment, but certainly open to any and all info.... I'm not seeing much on the net, other than surf perch....also an avid kayaker and am looking forward to my first salmon...

Irishrover
Irishrover
I don't do much surf fishing. Surf perch is about it. But you mentioned the Nehalem are and kayak. I've fished Nehalem Bay quite a bit an there seems to be a lot more folks out there in kayaks. The area up river from Wheeler and on up past the town of Nehalem seems to be a good spot for kayakers. The nice thing about fishing that area is being able to pull into one of the public docks and going into town for lunch. I remember a tavern in Nehalem that had great cheese burgers and beer. After lunch it back to the water and out for Salmon. Good luck and welcome to the forum. I'm taking a guess that you might be from Texas if you are which part did you call home?

O
Ole tex
Thanks for the info! Sounds like there're be plenty of opportunities and lots to learn.... That just makes it more fun! I'll defiantly be checking out Nahalem bay and those cheeseburgers! I've seen salmon in the Foley creek that's next to our cabin, what's the best gear for them? I've never fished for them and haven't got a clue....I'm not much of a fly fisherman although I have done a little....oh yeah I'm from south Texas, few mile north of Corpus Christi..... I've been fishing the bays and surf all my life, so that's why I was curious about the surf fishing......

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hey Ole Tex, welcome, you will find some kayak fishin' folks here at OFF, including one amazing sturgeon fighting dude, I focus on salmon/trout/kokanee around the Florence area...we have a sub-forum at OFF: 'Inflatables / Kayaks', under 'Boats and Motors'....cheers, roger

O
Ole tex
Wow! Sturgeon from a kayak! That sounds interesting! I'll sure check that site out..... Thanks Roger!

A
Astonleo
Thanks for your info. I know little about surf fishing,is it done often at night to follow the nocturnal feeding habits of many target species?
What about flashlights, headlamps, light sticks and other gear to facilitate night fishing are needed?:)