Sturgeon fishing near Newport?

F
fishfreak13
Hello all. I've been here for bout a month and have the trout dialed in, rockfish wrangled, and now gunning for sturgeon. What's the closest producing spot near Newport? The wife is anxious to go, so we're doing some research and hopefully picking up some new gear for the biggins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:think:

B
BlackTalon
Sturgeon

Sturgeon

I know that some people fish both the Umpqua and and Yaquina but I have not done either myself. I fish on the Willamette and Columbia.

I think the Yaquina fish are few and far between from what I have heard. The Umpqua sounds like a more productive fishery but I have no information to share. If the Willamette near Portland is not too far let me know I can help with some ideas. Sturgeon are also targeted in Tillamook Bay but once again I have not done it personally.

Evan

F
FishKiller23
I heard of a 10 FT sturgeon caught on shrimp near the GP mill in toledo. I belive thats the yaquina. Not only have I heard of the 10FT one I also saw a few smaller ones picked up as well.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Umpqua...

Umpqua...

I can atest to the size and population of the fish in the Umpqua river, what time of year are you talking? Makes a difference on the bait you will need.

Chuck

G
GoDucks1
You can always try the Willamette