Stranded on the jetty

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Please take all the precautions necessary to keep you and your fishing buddy's safe while on the jetty. If you don't pay attention, the least of your worries will be paying for the helicopter ride, funerals are expensive, too.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...shermen-lifted-columbia-river-jetty/82247538/

WARRENTON, Ore. (AP) — A Coast Guard helicopter crew has rescued three fishermen who became stranded on the south jetty of the Columbia River as high waves crashed over the area.
The men were lifted to safety by a Coast Guard crew from Astoria on Thursday.
The men, who have not been identified, had been fishing when they became stranded about a mile out on the jetty, which protrudes from the coast near Oregon's northwest tip.
The Coast Guard said seas were up to 14-feet high and there were 17-23 mph winds in the area at the time.
Coast Guard officials are warning people to stay away from the jetties due to the high waves.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's spring break and there are a few more folks down here enjoying the coast. My wife and I were at the south jetty about 3:30 yesterday. The wind and spray was enough to keep us off the observation platform. Going out on the jetty to fish would have been a wee bit much for me. We left before the rescue and did not even learn of it until this morning.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I can't figure out why anyone would go out there before checking all the available info, especially on a stormy day.

W
wils
Another Darwin outing?

M
martin s.
The ocean is no joke....my son Jacob was washed off the rocks from a sneaker wave at the south jetty at coos bay, luckly it didn't cost him his life, just 3000.00$ worth of stiches, NEVER turn your back to the ocean...

F
Fishpdx
martin s. said:
The ocean is no joke....my son Jacob was washed off the rocks from a sneaker wave at the south jetty at coos bay, luckly it didn't cost him his life, just 3000.00$ worth of stiches, NEVER turn your back to the ocean...

Never turn your back to the ocean is something I take seriously. This saturday I was fishing off rocks in depoe bay and it was outgoing tide and the place I was standing at was dry , and after a couple casts I got snagged and had to re tie, so I went up a little higher where my tackle box was and as soon as I left a huge wave came in and swept that place I was standing a couple seconds ago, the splash got me soaked and I was lucky I wasn't still standing on that rock.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yikes, glad you moved up to your tackle box.

EOBOY
EOBOY
wils said:
Another Darwin outing?
I was trying to lke this post but wouldn't work so just to let know "that was funny"