steelies in willy??

N
ninja2010
okay, i've been at work all day and now i'm logging in to find some really encouraging replies... phew. hope springs eternal.

i have a motor - 50lb on an 8 footer, so that should be enough to push me upriver if need be, right? and if the fish are bank hugging, i can just stick close to under 14' water.

barb
i appreciate your role on this forum as the mother hen. sometimes the young 'uns need guidance. but, yeah, from the sounds of it (from guys who seem to know what they're talking about) it's not an impossibility.

fishfinger:
what is this about floatilla? i've wondered if anybody ever organizes group floats. we used to do tide rides on float toobs. catch the tide coming in and drift until it turns and ride it back out to the parking area. timed correctly, that's several hours of fishing that covers a lot of water. i've always wondered it's done on a river where the current only goes one way. how does one get back to the car park?

O
osmosis
unfortunately you have to register even a pontoon if you're going to run a motor, so take care of that and avoid a ticket.

If I was you I would start somewhere and have a buddy pick me up at a downstream boat launch or park ect.

if your dying to get the pontoon wet do it.. but you can get winters from the bank pretty easily.

N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
unfortunately you have to register even a pontoon if you're going to run a motor, so take care of that and avoid a ticket.

If I was you I would start somewhere and have a buddy pick me up at a downstream boat launch or park ect.

if your dying to get the pontoon wet do it.. but you can get winters from the bank pretty easily.

i hear ya, osmo. my boat has tags and plates.

i'm gonna bank it for now for winters.

now if i have to toon solo, would it work if i motor upriver a ways, and just slowly drift, beach, fish, drift some more, beach, fish, etc. until i get back downriver to the vehicle? i just have zero experience with river current and don't know what it takes to push a toon upstream.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
that would be extending a drift by walking. side drifting involves a boat.

In a book, it says that it is side drifting from a bank. A boat is basically a movable/controllable wobbly piece of bank right? Just think as the bank as a gigantic uber slow moving boat.

L
luv2fish
rite now...i'll advise you don't even think of tryin willy on your 8 footer....its raging rite now.....other than that there's bulk of logs and all kind of crap coming down....i donno its not impossible but for sure if it can be postponed...its in the best interest.

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler said:
In a book, it says that it is side drifting from a bank. A boat is basically a movable/controllable wobbly piece of bank right? Just think as the bank as a gigantic uber slow moving boat.

Sidedrifting is a boat specific technique, requiring a lot of work on the boat skips part for it to work properly. If you are walking with the current, you are simply extending a prticular drift.

L
luv2fish
depnds what kind of water your fishing.....if its slow to moderate water and your walking....it is side drifting...but if its faster than your pace and your walking..it's just extending the drift

N
ninja2010
luv2fish said:
rite now...i'll advise you don't even think of tryin willy on your 8 footer....its raging rite now.....other than that there's bulk of logs and all kind of crap coming down....i donno its not impossible but for sure if it can be postponed...its in the best interest.

yeah, i'll chill on that till the flow settles down. thanks for the advice.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Unfortunately no, it does not. It is only dependent on where you are fishing from, i.e. a boat, or bank.. not what speed the water is moving...Sidedrifting was a term coined by boaters, who practice a specific technique...Now referred to as sidedrifting. The only thing you do from the bank without a bobber, or swinging terminal is drift fish. You can extend youer drifts by walking, and you can drift fish water of all speeds...But, sidedrifting can only be done from a boat. But anyways, this is a Steelhead in the Willy thread...
There is quite a lot of accessible bank space to drift fish between Gladstone, and Portland proper, and if you can find that water between 1 & 15 feet, you will be in Steelhead country. The high water will make it tougher, but I bet you there are a few spots still very fishable off of 43, all within 5 miles of eachother... Food for thought. They are in there, and they are eating bait.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Unfortunately no, it does not. It is only dependent on where you are fishing from, i.e. a boat, or bank.. not what speed the water is moving...Sidedrifting was a term coined by boaters, who practice a specific technique...Now referred to as sidedrifting. The only thing you do from the bank without a bobber, or swinging terminal is drift fish. You can extend youer drifts by walking, and you can drift fish water of all speeds...But, sidedrifting can only be done from a boat.

I couldn't resist to retaliate. :D
From another book called "Side Drifting for Steelhead." The first line in the description (I got this online) is "Quickly master the techniques necessary to side-drift effectively from a drift boat, jet boat or the bank." I like this arguement, because I actually know and read something about it. :cool:

D
dude young
Don't make me stop this car...

Don't make me stop this car...

I couldn't resist to retaliate.

Kids, do you need to be separated? :naughty: You say tomato, I say just go out and enjoy.

Agreed, fish are in tight. Had my first (for sure this time) on the line yesterday at Barton Park. Picked it up a foot from the bank and in less than a foot of water. Just re-tied my bait rig, dropped it in the water to wipe my hands, and WABO!

So, now I've got this thing bouncing around at my feet, and I froze. It flopped right out on to the bank, into a rock (or twelve) and SNAP! There he went, bait, tackle, and all. I nearly jumped in and chased the dang thing. (Mental note: go in the garage and find the box with the net)

Well, good luck if you make it out side/drift/walk/bank fishing. Keep an eye upstream, who knows what this next round of rain is going to send down river.

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
ArcticAmoeba said:
Unfortunately no, it does not. It is only dependent on where you are fishing from, i.e. a boat, or bank.. not what speed the water is moving...Sidedrifting was a term coined by boaters, who practice a specific technique...Now referred to as sidedrifting. The only thing you do from the bank without a bobber, or swinging terminal is drift fish. You can extend youer drifts by walking, and you can drift fish water of all speeds...But, sidedrifting can only be done from a boat. But anyways, this is a Steelhead in the Willy thread...
There is quite a lot of accessible bank space to drift fish between Gladstone, and Portland proper, and if you can find that water between 1 & 15 feet, you will be in Steelhead country. The high water will make it tougher, but I bet you there are a few spots still very fishable off of 43, all within 5 miles of eachother... Food for thought. They are in there, and they are eating bait.

hey AA...your right i got confused with other thing...lol...yes side drifting is a boat only thing. apologies for wrong info....

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
"The" man

"The" man

luv2fish;
Now, that is the way to show your manhood! No phoney chest puffing, no big bad bark. Just a simply stated fact that you had the wrong info. You are the man for showing the youngsters how it is done. Kudos!
Barb