Steelhead, salmon north of Beltline?

D
droolbot
VERY new to fishing for the "larger" species of fish, but live off River Road north of the Beltline and figured I could get some of my learning how close to home. Anybody ever catch anything on that stretch? A few what I think are good looking spots, but have not found many posts about this area. Fishing from bank....looking forward to getting started, but not sure when. Will both steelies and salmon hit jigs under bobbers? I understand there are differnt waters for both, but both types of water seem to be here and just wondering what tackle is best for "multi use"? Also, if want to try eggs, are there jarred eggs that work, or do I need to cough up the money for the roe in the baggies, or just wait til I catch a hen? Thanks for any help! All this talk of people filling their tags is getting me excited for future fun!

D
DYJ
I work with a guy that lives off River Road and puts in at Beltline all the time. Not sure on "multi use" gear... I do ok for summer steelhead and spend a lot of time on the water. You'd think if you spend enough time with bait in the water you'd accidentally bounce it into the mouth of a springer but I never have. I think it's hard to catch salmon up hear unless you go up to the meat holes and even then...

My suggestion would be to focus on the steelhead water until you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
Bait is not allowed between beltline and Harrisburg

S
steelhead_stalkers
Have to protect all the trout no one is fishing for! :rolleyes:

R
randomschmoejoe
You may want to take a look at the a/c current regulations. Bait is allowed in the Willamette upstream from the confluenc with the McKenzie. Just the same i try to avoid bait that low because of all the squa fish. I usually stick with the casting lures in that stretch. Usually plugs, spinners and spoons. There is a good access point in that area that gets you into a lot of good water. If you're down you can pm me and we set up a time to meet up and go check it out.

B
bigsteel
steelhead_stalkers said:
Have to protect all the trout no one is fishing for! :rolleyes:

actually that stretch has great trout fishing.

F
fishingduck
I'm going to run that section real soon. I want to put in at Brown and take out at Harrisburg. The kicker is that I want to walk around blue ruin island scouting for bow deer season. check it out on the ODFW website. If you bow hunt this looks like the place. The water looks pretty good for pulling some salmon gear and they should be moving through there in a couple of days.

4runnerneal
Seen a lot of bank anglers just up-stream of beltline lately. Are they catching fish regularly? Or did one person catch a fish and every one came running?

E
eugene1
Last year, I heard of a guy catching a huge nook at beltline, so there's a chance anyone can too! There's a nice funnel to the river there that concentrates the fish and now's the time.

Best,