Steelhead in Eugene area?

T
TC2
Any news of steelhead being caught in the Eugene area? In the main stem Willamette through Eugene/Springfield, or below the dam at Dexter Lake (Middle Fork Willamette), or below the dam at Leaburg Lake (McKenzie River)? We are new to this and wondering where to start. Thanks!

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
I've given the town run a couple attempts from the bank with no luck. Middle fork has some nice trout........ An angler with more steelhead experience might have better luck.

Troutski
Troutski
Have you tried the local creeks, Little Fall Creek has a very nice run of Steelhead. I like to swing a small spoon through all those great Holes throughout the entire Creek. There plenty of small creeks feeding the Upper Middle Fork of the Willy. Spinners also work well, I stay in the 1/4 oz or smaller, one must be willing to lose a few lures on the structure that lies on the bottom. Best of luck and be safe on the water..

Chuck

Steelhead in Eugene area

Steelhead near Eugene

Reactions: allforthefish
sambone
sambone
Yeah they catch them in eugene, i talked to a guy at alton baker last night and he said its pretty good right now. Its just a matter of finding a good spot and hitting the run that day. Im going to pick up my tag this week and try it soon with a fly and spinner

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Troutski said:
Have you tried the local creeks, Little Fall Creek has a very nice run of Steelhead. I like to swing a small spoon through all those great Holes throughout the entire Creek. There plenty of small creeks feeding the Upper Middle Fork of the Willy. Spinners also work well, I stay in the 1/4 oz or smaller, one must be willing to lose a few lures on the structure that lies on the bottom. Best of luck and be safe on the water..

Chuck
Are those summer steelhead on Little Fallcreek? BTW, last time I went up there the gate was locked (it's been a couple years)..... I hadn't thought to try because of that. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Well when I was younger I took a bike in the back of my Jeep for the rest of the way to the upper reaches, There is a very good Summer plus a Fall run, in all honesty I have caught Steel all year long. One more thing- The Trout population is unbelievable, Rainbows and Cutties....

Chuck

Reactions: BeeDeeLynn
T
TC2
Thanks, y'all! Will try all this out! I've been to Fall Creek but never Little Fall Creek. We are going to try to the Willamette tomorrow.

Troutski
Troutski
Blue Fox and Salmon Fly Rooster Tails.. Think small...
Check the Regs but I believe that bait is allowed all year for Trout, remember Steelhead love Night crawlers...
Best of luck..

Chuck

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
I threw half a dozen different spinners and spoons at the non-existent fish in the McKenzie above Armitage a little ways. Fished for a couple hours in the evening. Not a single bite. Nothing rolling either. Funny thing is I normally see lots of small trout surfacing here and there was virtually nothing. I usually land a couple trout with a smaller rootser tail, but nothing. at. all. Weird.....

hobster
hobster
Steelheading has been tough around Eugene this summer. I went to Leaburg once and fished the meat hole for 2 hours at dawn and no one was to be seen. Crazy, on a good run it's shoulder to shoulder almost. Didn't see any fish in the trap for the first time ever. Numbers over the falls are seriously poor, the only year that was worse was 2017 which was the worst year ever. Don't feel bad if you're not hooking fish, there aren't many around.

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
I don't feel too bad. I did pick an awful year to pick up steelheading again. Last time I made a serious effort was fifteen or so years ago. Runs were poor then too. This year, I've got one steelhead (January) and one Chinook (May) for more hours/days effort I can keep track of. Maybe next year will be better. Coho are supposed to be in good numbers this year, but I can't get much info on non-ocean fishing for them. I may just give up and start again in December. I have a motorcycle that needs some attention anyway. :)

A
allforthefish
hobster said:
Steelheading has been tough around Eugene this summer. I went to Leaburg once and fished the meat hole for 2 hours at dawn and no one was to be seen. Crazy, on a good run it's shoulder to shoulder almost. Didn't see any fish in the trap for the first time ever. Numbers over the falls are seriously poor, the only year that was worse was 2017 which was the worst year ever. Don't feel bad if you're not hooking fish, there aren't many around.
This years numbers make me want to cry.... It is not good at all. Not even 1k over the falls and its August..

hobster
hobster
Yeah, this year has been horrible. I didn’t even purchase my Columbia river endorsement because I don’t want to bother. I know salmon fishing was shut down on the McKenzie due to low numbers. I’m not sure if it still is. It’s only gotten worse since this thread was started. I’m too busy anyways, looking forward to fall!

Reactions: scched
A
allforthefish
hobster said:
Yeah, this year has been horrible. I didn’t even purchase my Columbia river endorsement because I don’t want to bother. I know salmon fishing was shut down on the McKenzie due to low numbers. I’m not sure if it still is. It’s only gotten worse since this thread was started. I’m too busy anyways, looking forward to fall!
Ya I work at a boat shop here in Eugene so I have been hearing all about it. My focus has been towards the coast. Hoping this fall/winter brings some fun.

A
allforthefish
Troutski said:

Chuck

View attachment 615710

View attachment 615711
So is this the creek above the reservoir? Or a separate creek completely? Thanks!

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
It's a tributary that joins a few miles down stream of the dam(n ).

Reactions: allforthefish