Which color braid for steelhead?

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
My apologies if this has been covered, but the search function seems to be borked this morning. I'm getting ready to re-spool my float setup and I'm wondering if I should change from yellow to green. Either way, I'll be running 12lb mono as a leader down to the jig/bait.

Many say Steelhead are not line shy, others say it matters. What say you all?

Thanks, and good luck out there. Water should be good pretty soon.
 
Artwo
Artwo
I use 14# Berkley Fireline in crystal, don't like the high viz stuff for my float setups.......

Sorry, I forgot to add my leader type/size..........I run about 12 feet of either 10# or 12# P-Line fluorocarbon CFX depending on water conditions. I run a fixed float setup 99% of the time.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: maxwyatt
Echskech
Echskech
I use a high viz yellow for my float fishing setup. I lve being able to track my drifts and mend accordingly. I always use about 15 feet of 20# mono as bumper for my float to slip on. During summer's clear water flows, Im confident that my hi vis is far enough from my bobber and hook.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rogerdodger
brandon4455
brandon4455
I use moss green or blue braid. I think it’s kinda personal preference.

As for leader.. I use to use 10lb maxima ultra green exclusively. I switched to fluorocarbon a few years ago and use 3 different leader strengths 8,10,12lb

last year my buddy and I had a 6 fish day all on 8lb fluoro after not touching a thing all morning with 10. I believe for steelhead it makes way more of a difference than it does for salmon. Steelhead are notoriously more spooky and couple that with the fact that they actually eat while in the river it makes sense. I’d never fish 12 mono unless the water was high and green/murky. Not to say aggressive fish that are flat out biters don’t exist, but my catch rate went up significantly since I started letting the water conditions dictate my leader
 
  • Like
Reactions: jamesapdx and troutdude
hobster
hobster
Echskech said:
I use a high viz yellow for my float fishing setup. I lve being able to track my drifts and mend accordingly. I always use about 15 feet of 20# mono as bumper for my float to slip on. During summer's clear water flows, Im confident that my hi vis is far enough from my bobber and hook.
Same here, except 8 ft 20 lb. bumper instead of 15. High viz all the way for float setup to help line mending. If you think about it, the fish will see your bobber before the line anyway. I’m very confident in this setup.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Echskech
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Thanks for the responses. I haven't considered running a bumper between the braid and leader because I wanted to keep the rig simple. Maybe I should reconsider that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Echskech
hobster
hobster
maxwyatt said:
Thanks for the responses. I haven't considered running a bumper between the braid and leader because I wanted to keep the rig simple. Maybe I should reconsider that.
I like the bumper idea a lot. First off you have feet of mono before your leader so you don’t need to worry about the high viz. line. I think the best purpose is to add more stretch, since there is none in braid. It helps with those crazy wild steelhead. I also like the way it keeps my bobber stop really solid. I use a double uni knot where my braid meets the bumper. I know there are lots of choices and newer knots but this one has never failed me so I like it. Goes through the guides just fine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rogerdodger
Echskech
Echskech
maxwyatt said:
Thanks for the responses. I haven't considered running a bumper between the braid and leader because I wanted to keep the rig simple. Maybe I should reconsider that.

Definitely reconsider for spooky fish like Steelhead. For salmon, I'm not sure a bumper even matters.
 
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
winter steelhead, fast flowing green water, I use yellow braid to help mend it, there is just no way to see green braid, especially on long casts across the river.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hobster
Grant22
Grant22
maxwyatt said:
Many say Steelhead are not line shy, others say it matters. What say you all?

Thanks, and good luck out there. Water should be good pretty soon
The braid color doesn’t really matter that much, because a steelhead can see it no matter what color it is I would stick will yellow so you can see your line on the surface of the water better. I usually use a bumper too between by fluorocarbon leader and my braid too especially in clear water.
 
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
maxwyatt said:
Many say Steelhead are not line shy, others say it matters. What say you all?

Thanks, and good luck out there. Water should be good pretty soon.

I think it comes down to visibility of the water. Yes, steelhead are line shy. However, fishing for 'summers' in low clear water is totally different from fishing for 'winters' in fast moving green/brown water with perhaps a foot of visibility.

Good example of adjusting your rigging and presentation to match the conditions. cheers, roger
 
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
I've added a section of 15lb mono bumper to hedge my bets. We'll see if that helps. thanks everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hobster
hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
I think it comes down to visibility of the water. Yes, steelhead are line shy. However, fishing for 'summers' in low clear water is totally different from fishing for 'winters' in fast moving green/brown water with perhaps a foot of visibility.

Good example of adjusting your rigging and presentation to match the conditions. cheers, roger
Exactly. I have used 10 pound ultra green leader for winter steelhead for many years and have had plenty of success. Summers, however, are a different story. Steelhead are definitely line shy, it all depends on the water conditions.
 

Similar Threads

Top Bottom