Steelhead fly fishing anyone?

Z
ZeeBorn
BobberDown said:
i have not fly fished a lot in the past few years but for a steelhead fly fishing thread why has no one menshoind nymfing (not spelled write) it is the most produtive method for steelhead fishing strik indicater little split shot small bead head flieor micro jig 1/32 or 1/64 head works very nice

I haven't really done much nymphing for steelhead. I guess I have mostly seen guys out there swinging flies so I figured that’s the way to go. It's something I'll definitely do now though. I have to look into what flies are going to be good for that so I can tie some up. Hear is a picture of the flies I have made and have been using. I numbered them just incase someone would like to comment on any one in particular. The only ones here I haven’t used yet are 3a-b these would be more for nymphing I guess...?
In the December issue of STS there is an article that talks about balancing steelhead swinging flies. I just red it so I'm going to have to pay attention to how my flies "swim" next time I go out (witch will be tomorrow). I never would have thought that that would be so important.
Well I'll let you all know how I do on the upper sandy tomorrow. I know it's still high (around 11') but I'm hoping the color will be good at least.
Cheers,
Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BobberDown
ZeeBorn said:
I haven't really done much nymphing for steelhead. I guess I have mostly seen guys out there swinging flies so I figured that’s the way to go. It's something I'll definitely do now though. I have to look into what flies are going to be good for that so I can tie some up. Hear is a picture of the flies I have made and have been using. I numbered them just incase someone would like to comment on any one in particular. The only ones here I haven’t used yet are 3a-b these would be more for nymphing I guess...?
In the December issue of STS there is an article that talks about balancing steelhead swinging flies. I just red it so I'm going to have to pay attention to how my flies "swim" next time I go out (witch will be tomorrow). I never would have thought that that would be so important.
Well I'll let you all know how I do on the upper sandy tomorrow. I know it's still high (around 11') but I'm hoping the color will be good at least.
Cheers,
Nate
man those are nice looking flys 3a and 3b are nymping fies for sure i drift fish some egg paterns a lot like those and that sts artile is a grate one good luck

Z
ZeeBorn
I went to the upper Sandy today and got my first steelhead of the year! Although I wasn't fly fishing. I got it on corkey and yarn with my new Lamaglass xmg that I built (first fish for that rod!:dance:). The fish was about 6-7 lbs and was a native so it went back to fight another day. The weird thing about it was that it had fresh wound about 6-8"long running down it's side. It was even still bleeding when I caught it! It's amazing what these fish can endure. I had a feeling I was going to get something today though, when I realized I had forgotten my camera at home.:rolleyes: I also caught a white fish. Dose that count?:lol:
I did do some fly fishing and even some nymphing, but didn't get anything with that. I'll be going back tomorrow so hopefully I can get one on the fly!
Cheers,
Nate

Last edited:
T
theboone
congrats! i shoulda skipped church and went up there with you! how'd today go?

Z
ZeeBorn
Today was a bust other than one I foul hooked. Dosn't really count though. I think it actualy hit my corkey but when I set the hook it came out of its mouth and caught it's fin cuz it realy hit the korkey hard. It was even a hatchery but I let it go. Foul is foul! :naughty:
There were 3 legally hooked and landed fish that I saw other people with though.
I'll probably go again later this week.

T
theboone
Ha. Good call man.

Great to see people catching. Last week I spend a day at McIver and then another day split between McIver and Bonnie Lure and nobody was catching anything. Maybe it's picking up.

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
ZeeBorn's fly pics

ZeeBorn's fly pics

Hello ZeeBorn, the last good sized steelhead i caught and released in October was on the #5 pattern you showed. I was nymphing it too. Also when i tye those, i don't add any weight. I tye those on a #2 salmon/steelhead hook and the weight of that gets the leech down just fine when nymphing.

Of your flies, #'s 1, 4 and 5 would be my choices for winter steel. Great posts ZeeBorn, encourages me to get out there and hit some steel !

Steelhead from October caught on your #5 leech.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Last edited by a moderator:
Z
ZeeBorn
I never thought about nymphing an egg sucking leach. Would you also nymph #1? I'll have to give that a shot. I'm glad this thread is tempting you to get back out there. And you should! The fish are in the rivers and it's only getting better!
That's a really nice looking fish you got there! What weight rod do you use? it looks like a good fighter.

Thanks fore the comments,
Nate

M
MontanaMoose
Nymph

Nymph

Sure, #1 would look great drifting close to the bottom on a dead drift through a deeper slow pool or along the face of a shelf...while you are standing back at arm and rod's length so when steel looks to go for the leech pattern, you won't be seen. Very effective method imho.

That rod is a 9wt 9ft from LL Bean...one of the best fly rods in my quiver and i have a bunch of them. Fish was a great fighter but i got him on a short leash right away so i had 'hand' from the git. Played him up fast, tailed it, buddy snapped the pic, and back to fight another day he went. I always use fairly heavy tippet so i can bring them in fast without them 'siding' on me. Don't like when that happens.

I've been getting out as long as the water drops after the rain...now i'm just waiting for a day or so to head up and try some new gear and new leeches. I retired the pattern that hooked that good one in October and will keep it as a pattern. Thanks for your comments also Nate and yep, the rivers are filling up. I see road trips soon !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Last edited: