Steelhead beginner

N
ninja2010
thanks, ss... maybe it's time to respool...

S
steelhead_stalkers
I really like fireline crystal and use it on my float rods and drift rods along with every other rod. It doesn't get wrapped around my rod tip every and doesn't seem to spook fish at all, plus it floats well for float fishing and is sensitive for drift fishing.

N
ninja2010
thanks for the rec...

i was looking at the crystal and was also checking out spiderwire's ultracast invisi braid. i typically spool up on 8lb diameter braid (40lb) so i don't have to spool up more than 130 yards. does the crystal come in that size?

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would not use that large of braid for steelhead if you are using the reel for salmon and steelhead that would be fine. I believe the fireline crystal and the invisi braid are basically the same but I could be wrong but I do know the fireline crystal is quite a bit cheaper around here. If you have a 2500 or 3000 series spinning reel or a low profile baitcaster you shouldn't need more than 125 yards because the braid may say that it is 8lb diameter but it wont lay as smooth as mono so you wont get as much braid on your spool as the diameter on your reel says you will. Also I use the 10lb fireline crystal on my micro jig rod and have never lost a steelhead on it and when I lived in CA I landed a few 25lb salmon on it as well! The line is very strong.

I do know that if you want a braid that breaks over 20lbs or more get the fireline crystal in 14lb test and its 6lb. diameter. I read somewhere a while back about someone strength testing it and its the same as stren superbraids 20lb and they are the same diameter. Stren superbraid is 20lb and breaks somewhere above 20lb and is 6lb diameter and the fireline 14lb breaks somewhere above 20lb and is 6lb diameter.

If you feel your reel will hold more than 125 yards of fireline then just spool on some backing of like 20lb mono and then tie your mono to the braid and finish spooling up! Good luck.

N
ninja2010
yeah i picked up a coupla spools of crystal to try out. sure feels different from powerpro and spiderwire. i'll spool up my drift reel with the 20lb (8lb dia.) and my hardware round reel with 30lb (12 lb dia.) they were cheap at joe's so i figured i'd just try it out. what do i got to lose? i've never caught fish with what i'm using now... :lol:

P
PDXKush
can't wait to see the new gear ninja...I got a few new toys myself :)...This Steelhead Stalker guy seems to know his stuff. Nice Site Bro. Thanks

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thanks! You will be happy with the line and you will get into some fish soon. Good luck an let me know how you like the line.

N
ninja2010
steelhead_stalkers said:
Thanks! You will be happy with the line and you will get into some fish soon. Good luck an let me know how you like the line.

okay chad, so i spooled up the shimano 201 dc with 30lb crystal and the revo stx with 20lb.

the 20 was definitely better than the 30. the line diameters are definitely not comparable to braids, they're thicker. but then, fireline is NOT braid.

it definitely needs some getting used to. it fishes like braid on sensitivity and no stretch, but it casts like mono and has memory (slight). it feels more like nylon. because of the stiffer feel, the line definitely screams through the guides and wasn't as smooth going through the level wind eyelet - therefore affecting casting distance. i think fireline is more suited for spinning reels.

that's my take on the line... i don't hate it, i just don't think it's a good fit for my baitcasters, especially not anything above the 20lb.

and the worse part is... i didn't even get into any fish while testing the lines.

so i'm going back to sufix's performance braid, but in low-vis green rather than hi-vis yellow.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Whats your rods' actions and what weight are they rated?

S
steelhead_stalkers
ninja2010 said:
okay chad, so i spooled up the shimano 201 dc with 30lb crystal and the revo stx with 20lb.

the 20 was definitely better than the 30. the line diameters are definitely not comparable to braids, they're thicker. but then, fireline is NOT braid.

it definitely needs some getting used to. it fishes like braid on sensitivity and no stretch, but it casts like mono and has memory (slight). it feels more like nylon. because of the stiffer feel, the line definitely screams through the guides and wasn't as smooth going through the level wind eyelet - therefore affecting casting distance. i think fireline is more suited for spinning reels.

that's my take on the line... i don't hate it, i just don't think it's a good fit for my baitcasters, especially not anything above the 20lb.

and the worse part is... i didn't even get into any fish while testing the lines.

so i'm going back to sufix's performance braid, but in low-vis green rather than hi-vis yellow.

Like I said before, if you are used to running 30lb braid you should use the 20lb fireline, 20lb fireline has the same diameter at 30lb braid and they break at the same pound test. That maybe why you noticed casting problems and I figure you are using these for salmon as I use the 10lb and 14lb fireline on my steelhead rods and 20lb for salmon unless Im fishing rivers with exceptionally large salmon then I would go with the 30lb. Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you!

N
ninja2010
i've got 2 other reels to spool up... so i'm gonna try the 14 and 10 before giving up completely on the line. i'm sure the lighter lines would further increase sensitivity for light tackle, so i'm looking forward to test#2...

i know the fireline has awesome break-strength. it's not like braid at all so it doesn't fray and probably has excellent abrasion resistance. oh, and it knots up really well.

but with the 10 and 14, i might have to leave some backing...

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:
Whats your rods' actions and what weight are they rated?

they range from med light to extra heavy, rating from 4-10 to 30-50. why'd you ask?

if you're asking about the ones i tried the crystal on, they're both medium action 8-17s, one's 9' the other's 8.5.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, Daniel added some backing the last time we spooled up some of the 10lb on his reel! Keep us posted :)

N
ninja2010
steelhead_stalkers said:
Yeah, Daniel added some backing the last time we spooled up some of the 10lb on his reel! Keep us posted :)

sure thing. i think they'll be killer, paired with your micro jigs - at least that's what i'm counting on. :lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
My favorite setup this winter was my custom rainshadow XST 9'6", light power, fast action micro jig rod spooled with 10lb fireline crystal. Rigged up with a small 8g drennan zeppler float, six pound p-line flouro and a micro jig!!!! Oh man now you got me thinking about winter runs already, dang.

N
ninja2010
steelhead_stalkers said:
My favorite setup this winter was my custom rainshadow XST 9'6", light power, fast action micro jig rod spooled with 10lb fireline crystal. Rigged up with a small 8g drennan zeppler float, six pound p-line flouro and a micro jig!!!! Oh man now you got me thinking about winter runs already, dang.

Why such a light setup for winters? I thought it was the summers that needed light gear coz of the gin clear warm water.

C
cchinook
steel is great however .....

steel is great however .....

it is nook time ! you have a choice , a metal head or a big boy , man I love the Clack. !

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its perfectly balanced for the micro jigs and other small offerings! This winter was especially good because of the low clear water but it works well even in steelhead green water :) I caught fish on my other rods as well but my micro jigs rod got the most workout!

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm prepping to give Steelheading a try this weekend with mgdguy. I just wanted to say thanks for all the pointers in this thread. It's a wealth of info.

SS and AA need to get together and write a book. I'd buy it.

M
metalmania
SS and AA need to get together and write a book. I'd buy it.[/QUOTE]

Man I couldn't agree more:D.