steelhead 2016

C_Run
C_Run
I made the first trip of the year to a well- known Tillamook County river. The water was really clear so stealth was imperative. Got this one with a copper Steelie. It was 1 for 2 for the day which is fine by my standards.

LFPPSPU.jpg

There's the other one that released himself right at my feet after a very long and eventful fight. Oh so close....

ioEm7YQ.jpg

He took off with my prized home made spoon in the right side of his jaw. In case you come across it, I'd like it back.:)

ZNwPbBY.jpg

Reactions: eugene1
C_Run
C_Run
This is now the official C_Run Winter Steelhead thread. After about a month I went back to the same spot last week and fished hard in the rain all day. I lost about 5 jigs and about a half dozen spoons for only one split second bite all day. The only consolation was a nice cutthroat trout at the end of the day. Being almost entirely out of spoons I quickly whipped up a new batch of 10 spoons.

HlxEBM7.jpg

My wife wanted to go to the beach yesterday so we headed over and I got to fish about one hour on the way over and another half hour on a different river after we got there. Today we headed back along the same route and I fished about half and hour and got the first ink on the tag on one of the spoons. Beautiful weather today. 9#.

0Kc5yZ8.jpg

One thing about this fish is that it was really hot and started down a big rapids to the next hole where I wouldn't have been able to follow. I was seriously worried about getting spooled because this is when I usually start freaking out and either thumb the spool too hard or tighten the drag and break off. However, I recalled the trick I had heard of a few times of sticking the rod all the way under water to slow the fish down and then easing it back in little by little. I had never done it before but, sure enough, after I stuck the rod all the way in the water, the fish calmed down and I began the tedious process of easing it back upstream about a foot at a time until it was back in the hole where he started and fortunately he was solidly hooked and made it to the bank finally. So, now I am a believer. Anyone else employ that trick before?

C_Run
C_Run
Well, what do you know? Exactly a month since my last fish so I am pretty consistent at one fish/month. I did fish twice and lost a couple prior to today but connected today with my hunk of junk spoon again. 1 for 2 today.... And where is everybody? A little rain and everyone stays home?? I had a major northwest zone river all to myself except for one lonely little drift boat. Some guy on ifish was griping about how many people are fishing this river but I guess it's only when the sun is out. Hey we're all Oregonians with web feet and all.

qGC9QNA.jpg

(It was wild.)

C_Run
C_Run
It is not over until it is over...right? I think I am running out of gas for steelhead fishing. I swear this is the last time I will bump this thread but I did make it out today and it was really nice not getting rained on for once and having an entire river almost to myself again. I guess people are shifting to bass and springers now. It was 2 for 3 and the two were small wild fish, one on a home made spoon and the other on a copper Steelie. The take home lesson was to check your line for abrasion often because I broke off a really nice fish and I almost never lose a fish to a broken line. My leader was pretty roughed up from the rocks and I should have taken the time to change it out.

SJ86U2C.jpg

Ee0rvxG.jpg

I think I am going to spy on Shaun Solomon and find out where that blackberry bush is.