Squaw Fish/Carp vs. Bass???

F
Finneus Polebender
Squaw fish bounty

Squaw fish bounty

Its for real saw it in a local fishin mag today the odfw will have 18 registration sights you must register first 4-8 $ each for northern pikeminnow "Squawfish" over 9 in. length. many tagged and released fish worth 500 $ each. Not sure if it is restricted to certain waters but here ya go crawlerballs fishin for dollars. oh it started may 1st 2009

D
Dichrofisher
My grandpa caught a pair of these squaws on the dike (river adjacent pond which is part of the Wildish gravel quarries near Mt. pisgah.) They were seriousely about 7 lbs and tasted like chicken!

J
Johnny Southpaw
At least One Bass Left

At least One Bass Left

Fished the squaw/carp pond Sunday, formerly known as the kick a$$ Bass Pond, and only hooked up with one fish. The sucker fish aren't hoarding up on the bank like they were a few weeks ago, so done spawning, but they're still there in masse. So, I think the bass have moved around a bit, and they don't seem to be as aggressive as they should be, but they're in there. Have to really work to hook-up. We'll see as year progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Finneus Polebender
havin to work too

havin to work too

Thats the early thing its been spotty for me, had a couple hot days, should start gainin momentum soon nice fish though . They still there waitin for ya

C
coyo7e
Finneus Polebender said:
I never met a fish i didn't like except a squaw
I'm glad you said this, it was literally the very first thing I thought of when I read your signature.

T
Troutier Bassier
If you have problems with suckers. Tell some asains about the lake or.... Snag. Or for a small fee, Me and my friend can fish that place out of suckers. :)

J
Johnny Southpaw
Troutier Bassier said:
If you have problems with suckers. Tell some asains about the lake or.... Snag. Or for a small fee, Me and my friend can fish that place out of suckers. :)

It would take you and your friend YEARS to eradicate all the sucker fish in this particular body of water via traditional fishing techniques. Thousands of 'em bastards in there.

T
Troutier Bassier
Dynamite.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Troutier Bassier said:
Dynamite.

That's probably what it would take. Dynamite wouldn't spare the MONSTER bass that I know live in this pond however, so need a different option. Perhaps some sort of electric device that stuns fish and sends 'em to the top for a few minutes; have several boats out there to net the suckers up and leave the bucketmouths!

C
coyo7e
Johnny Southpaw said:
That's probably what it would take. Dynamite wouldn't spare the MONSTER bass that I know live in this pond however, so need a different option. Perhaps some sort of electric device that stuns fish and sends 'em to the top for a few minutes; have several boats out there to net the suckers up and leave the bucketmouths!
I thought The F&GD had these and used them for river census and stuff?

L
lizardman
Squawfish have a use. After you catch them cut them into strips and put them in the pickled herring juice... they make a great replacement for sardine or herring when fishing for sturgeon.

Dave