Springers in EC?

T
Troutcatcher
Kill them all guys they are no good for this creek!

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
So if the hatchery springers on EC are not fin clipped and EC is only open to fin clipped fish under requirements of the ESA for Willamette basin spring chinnook... You can not keep any of the hatchery springers on EC with the exception of a Clackamas fin clipped stray..

yep... and since there actually does appear to be a program to return a run to the creek it only makes sense to not clip them, if 64 fish returned probably half that again was retained illegally by anglers, so they wouldn't clip them becouse the exploitation rate has been met illegally, its not uncommon for rivers to be open to native/hatchery natives without retention, the salmonberry for instance, can be fished but only fin clipped steelhead may be retained.... its an all native run.. they just give you the benefit of the doubt you will ding a lost fish. If a fella is looking for freezer fodder runs of 60-100 fish probably aren't your best bet... these are sporting runs.. not everywere is meant to be a slaughter house, after all the only succesful recovery plan any state has ever had at consistently recovering fisheries is catch and release o retention no bait barbless restrictions, with no stocking program. So, why not just let them go.... or even just not target them? but they are there... so go get em.

E
eggs
Just seems weird to create a 'native' run on a creek via hatcheries with a known poaching problem, when that money could be spent on a larger river system to restore the native fish already present with less percentage of fish poached due to a hatchery program in place. Due to the habitat of the creek and high mortality rate that will occur will render it worthless when it comes to helping de-list ESA spring chinook, it won't become self sistaining. Without yearly releasese from the hatchery it will be poached dry in less then 5 years, hatchery releases of 'native' fish doesn't help de-list which is the entire goal of a native run restoration plan.

M
metalfisher76
Roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T
tnffishman
metalfisher76 said:

haha same!!!

M
metalfisher76
He said they "aren`t clipped", make it stop, it hurts, make it stop!!!!!!

T
Troutier Bassier
eggs said:
So if the hatchery springers on EC are not fin clipped and EC is only open to fin clipped fish under requirements of the ESA for Willamette basin spring chinnook... You can not keep any of the hatchery springers on EC with the exception of a Clackamas fin clipped stray..

ODFW, strange people.

E
eggs
I don't get it... guess I willl just have to go catch one for myself to see :)

G
GDBrown
I'll believe they are there when I see photos of fresh caught fish by the bridge.

H
halibuthitman
well....metal76 can call me on this, but im pretty sure he's already posted pictures last year of fin clipped 10+ lbers and I swear he is standing on the bank of that crick... im probably wrong..

M
metalfisher76
One "native" out of 12 for the month of June 2009.
And someone saying "they" got 54 back is a total crock! The hatchery is SHUT DOWN! There is NO water coming out of the ladder.For the love of winters go look for yerself and kill the disease ridden springers, now!

D
deadline
So if the hatchery is shutdown, does that mean the salmon run will die off eventually?

I'm a new fisherman. Never caught a salmon or steelhead but have been trying all summer. Don't know squat. I went to EC for the first time today. Tried fishing there with eggs. We went down a little but anothr fisherman told me you had to go much further to find the holes were they were bitin. I saw a few in the water but they wouldn't bite.

M
metalfisher76
Actually there`s a chance they`ll reproduce, creating a hatchery fish with a fin. You cannot keep those. But by all means as long as they`re stuffin it with clips, go get `em.

B
bigdog
metalfisher76 said:

tnffishman said:
haha same!!!

metalfisher76 said:
He said they "aren`t clipped", make it stop, it hurts, make it stop!!!!!!

metalfisher76 said:
"they" got 54 back is a total crock! The hatchery is SHUT DOWN! !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to say this is one of the funnier threads I have read in a while.
EC fish hatch does NOT do a nook run they are steelhead and coho only hatch so I have to know who the so reliable sorce was that said they got 54 fish back? :lol:
You want to get in to some nooks or steallies go to Mciver park and fish down by dog creek. There are plenty of fish there now and mostly through out the year.
They aren't cliped :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: