Springer's and summer's - what's the word?

S
SantiamDrifter
capblack said:
i dont know about those graphs, but green peter is almost full, and detroit has went up almost 15 ft in 4 days. And thats not counting all the snow sitting up in the hills right now. I think the rivers and lakes will be just fine, Brian

yeah. I hope Im dead wrong. But I still think it will be a low water year. I mean, Detriots volume as been 70 to 80% of its normal monthly volume. Since december detriot has been running 20 to 30% lower then average.

All this snow and rain is great. But its only gunna affect the short term. Not the whole summer. Normally they would get this rain and let it out. But this year they have to save it to fill up the lake becuase we wont get the snow melt we noramlly get.

If they let it out, and we dont get enough snow melt to fill up the lake then theres nothing they can do about. Once they fill the lakes and feel comfortable about the amount of water stored up they will start to spill more water over. But by that time there just wont be much snow melt running into the lakes to spill over.

T
trigzilla
Salmonhungry said:
Are they around yet? The Willamette Falls counts look good and I was wondering if I would find anything this weekend. Lebanon area?

Any word?

Talked to a fishing buddy today ,Waterloo is BLOWN OUT...

C
capblack
the reason detroit is 20 percent below average this winter is because theyre working on the dam and have it lower than normal. that has nothing to do with snowfall or the shape of the rivers this summer

P
plumb2fish
Sunny,
There are steelhead begining to show up in the Eugene area so I am sure that they are present @ Foster. I hooked one that broke my leader and saw one caught.Also one lost today by a friend of mine. It will only get better from here.

K
Kodiak
There are summer steelies from foster to the mouth on the south right now, and from packsaddle to the mouth on the north fork. The Springers have held up in the mainstem due to cold water, not low water.

K
Kodiak
SantiamDrifter said:
yeah. I hope Im dead wrong. But I still think it will be a low water year. I mean, Detriots volume as been 70 to 80% of its normal monthly volume. Since december detriot has been running 20 to 30% lower then average.

All this snow and rain is great. But its only gunna affect the short term. Not the whole summer. Normally they would get this rain and let it out. But this year they have to save it to fill up the lake becuase we wont get the snow melt we noramlly get.

If they let it out, and we dont get enough snow melt to fill up the lake then theres nothing they can do about. Once they fill the lakes and feel comfortable about the amount of water stored up they will start to spill more water over. But by that time there just wont be much snow melt running into the lakes to spill over.

You mean lower warmer water in summer? Like the salmon regulatory plan calls for? Uh-oh....might start getting more fish back that are healthier....but then smolts needing food is so overrated.Guess I'll have to bust out the hardware a month earlier than i was going to. :LOL:

S
Salmonhungry
Well this thread went south....

S
Salmonhungry
Plum2 and Kodiak, thanks for the info.

The word is that I went up to the dam today and saw 50 plus folks crowded into the hatchery side and the park side. Only saw 4 Steelhead landed all day. No action at all at the church camp hole and Wiley creek was dead when I checked in there too. Saw 4 cars at the barricade hole and heard of no fish caught there either. So in my words - looks like the fishin' was great today, but the catchin' sucked. Lots of smolt, stay away from using bait.

I did run into a few friends, it was great to chat with them and know they all survived the winter in good health.

D
Damon79
plumb2fish said:
Sunny,
There are steelhead begining to show up in the Eugene area so I am sure that they are present @ Foster. I hooked one that broke my leader and saw one caught.Also one lost today by a friend of mine. It will only get better from here.
Where at in the Eugene area have people been catching early summer fish? I need to get in on some of that action....SOON

M
Mike123
Welp still snowing in the hills and mountains! Water levels don't look like they are gonna be short to me!?
This weather is kinda screwin us at the moment. I'd be happy if that water level at Willy Falls would stay at 54...

North Santiam is the place to be! :)

B
BlackBass
HAHAHA North no South . Get out and fish :)

M
markasd
Waters too cold, get back to work! hehehe

M
Mike123
Ya the South is BLOWN... the North is fishable though.