Spring fly assortment?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I have a buddy that I would love to give a box of flies to for Christmas. Does anyone have a suggestion for some kind of a "box set" that would make a good gift in the Portland(ish) area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

D
Drew9870
I personally wouldn't buy packaged flies from just any company, atleast if I had to buy flies. I can however tell you, no matter what your buddy's experience level is, you couldn't go wrong with getting a bunch of Wooly Buggers, I stick to Black, but Olive and Brown are other proven killers.

Having little familarity with Portland area sport shops, maybe someone else will give you the name and location of a nearby(ish) fly shop if you don't know of one already, I know there is atleast one up that way.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
this would do, better then anything cabela's offers! :lol: plenty of flies in the assortment catch fish,if not all of them.. good set of flies. i order from this place, they are out of maupin. i usually get my order in 3 days sometimes the next day if i order them in the morning..just depends on how busy they are. it's just a good general set of nymphs that would be a good gift for sure! not sure if these come in a box, but they have plenty of other assortments that do come in boxes. i believe there is a place called river city fly shop in your area.. check them out. also, if you are going to custom select the flies for spring fishing you can't go wrong with bead head prince, phesant tails,possie buggers and march browns (nymph and dry) some phesant tail and hare's ear soft hackles or a hares ear nymph. i like the flashback versions of hares ear and phesant tail

http://www.bigyflyco.com/items/fly-assortments/BeadheadAssortment-detail.htm

Last edited:
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thank ya folks!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Not too shabby!

W
wozniasm
Just don't buy anything from Bass Pro! They're the debil!:mad:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Portland Fly Shop

Portland Fly Shop

Go to a local fly shop and tell them what kind of fishing your friend likes. They'll be the best to suggest flies. I was staying at Embassy Suites just off I-217 in Portland last week and found a fly shop about a 1/4 mile away on Scholls Ferry...River City Fly Shop. They had a huge selection of flies and the guy that had just come in from drinking his lunch was very knowledgable, friendly and helpful. I liked the shop and would suggest it as opposed to trying to find something online.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

T
The Nothing
RCFS is one of my favorite shops. TONS of flies and TONS of tying materials. Dare I say more than anyone else in town? Yeah, I do. It's packed. Not as super clean as some of the others in town, but if I need something I know they will have it

F
flyguy
If you're still looking Pinky...send me a message and I'll hook you up with what you need.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
something that is essential if it is a "spring" assortment, march browns nymph and dry.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
This is great advice, and exactly what I'll do before I hit the streams this Spring. In this case it's more of a gesture of good will than anything. In this case, I went with @Brandon4455's suggestion, which was just the budget I was looking for. If he never catches a fish with them, I think he'll still appreciate the thought. And if he does, I'll get all the credit. (nailed it. ;-)

Thanks guys!