Spinner fishing technique by summertime

U
ufl
What is your spinning technique with spinners by summer when the water temperature is high? From bank fishing in a small coastal river with slow streams. By spring I'm using the "swing" technique downstream when the water is cold and this worked very well, but haven't success by summer fishing, so hope you guys could help me out....

Thanks Ulrich

O
OnTheDrop
Very small spinners & natural colors work for me...

U
ufl
SteelmonKiller20

Casting downstream, across or upstream? Size spinner for Atlantic salmon and Brown Trout in summers?
Here anglers almost casting upstreams, so like to know how you doing over there.

Ulrich

O
OnTheDrop
Well, where are you fishing?

C_Run
C_Run
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Well, where are you fishing?

He's in Denmark.

I mostly cast out 90 degrees from the bank and swing (unless I see a fish upstream).

O
OnTheDrop
Nice. I listen to an artist from somewhere over there called "Ulrich Schnauss".

They are both predatory fish I imagine you shouldn't have too much of a problem hooking fish. Both methods will work.. Maybe try early in the Am and right before dark as this is when browns are most active..

U
ufl
Fishing in Denmark, will try casing across or a little upstream and give the spinner time to go down before making the swing in the current, but we have snaggy button of vegetations, so swings is not always easy that you have to work your spinner up and down-

Ulrich

M
Modest_Man
If you're not losing spinners you're not fishing them right!

U
ufl
Losing more then average, so I think that I have to much weight on my spinners and maybe retrieving too fast by upstream fishing.

Ulrich

M
Modest_Man
You'll lose more by casting upstream for sure.

U
ufl
Will change the technique for the next season, it doesn't work for me, but many anglers practice upstream fishing here, thanks guys

Ulrich

B
BlueWater
I cast upstream to the top of a hole, and retrieve with a jigging motion. Slow retrieveal, occasionally pulling the spinner with the rod tip, also slowly, while not changing speed of retrieval with the reel. It pops the spinner a bit higher in the water, then allows it to settle a bit on the slack line. By "slow retrieval" I mean retirievig no faster than needed to keep the blade spinning. The slow jigging supplieas a bit more action.

I have better luck pulling the spinner towards me quickly for two or three feet the moment it lands, then slowing down the retieve. In my head, that makes it look like a bait fish getting out of the way, but I have no idea what the fish think about it. I usually don't wait for the lure to come perpendicular to me, but only as far as about 15-degrees above perpendicular, although it's often effective to let it drift past to about 30-degrees beyond perpendicular if it's a large-ish pool.

I have a lot of luck with all black spinners, black body and black blade (Vibrax and Mepps) and with white with a silver blade (Panther-Martin). Color matched to carity of the water is rumored to make a difference, but I haven't noticed a significant difference, yet.

Good luck over there.