Southern Oregon Coast to NW Coast trip

S
slimyguts
Empire Lakes in Coos Bay today. Nice day. Sweet place for a drift boat or a pontoon. But, I have neither. Heard that they were gonna stock it and saw tons of locals fishin along the bank in one spot. decided to go off the the right back into the brush. It paid OFF. Landed two. (see pic below). The other was about 3" bigger. Let the bigger one go but this one was hooked deep so I kept it and gave it to some ol timer who was tickled pink about it. Looks AWESOME for some bass but never got a bite. Seems like where ever I go, #3 Bud Spinner (red with copper blade) slays them every time. Have to stop at BiMart and pick up a few more. Its great to find something that is cheap (cheaper than rooster tails) and works better than the rest every time.
gonna run up to Tenmile Lake and Tenmile creek tomorrow morning, maybe even try a bit of clammin. Laters yall.

S
slimyguts
So today sucked! Wind blowin and dumpin rain. Checked out Tenmile lake. Sweet place but weather was so crappy I just drove around it. Few casts into Saunders lake got nothin either. Bothe look great for bass. NEED MY BOAT! Owell, headdin north tomorrow morning. Maybe find something that is swimmin and hungry on my way.

Last edited:
S
slimyguts
Well, sorry for the dissapointment but didn't fish much on the later part of the week. Mostly did some scoutin for future trips and spent a few days in Newport. Got a few crabs and found that Moby Dicks bar is a good place to get 3 sheets to the wind.

I did dig a few clams. Did ok on the south side under the bridge in Newport. Also learned a lesson. Never pay for sand shrimp. Between 3 of us, within about 30 min. we had bagged about 4 to 5 lbs of shrimp! NEVER payin for it again, it was way to easy. Used a clam gun. Dig on one hole and when you pull out is sucks ather shrimp nearby into the hole. Getting average of 3-4 shrimp per hole. Way to easy.

Thanks for all the input. Maybe see yall on the water sometime.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Did you check out any of the lakes I had mentioned? My dad Did the sand shrimp gun back when he fished the siuslaw in the 80's and keeps telling me to get a gun and stop buying shrimp if I am gonna be fishing close to the ocean. I might have to do it now.

S
slimyguts
Yea, checked out a bunch. Too many to try to fish. Spent aout 10 mins at each stop and there was a lot to stops. Got atleast a hit or landed a trout at each stop.

Shrimp guns make small holes. Saw some guys using them and they would only get one or two per hole. THe clam gun hole is much begger and you can get the one you are going after plus watch inside the hole as they fall inside from other holes nearby. As the water fills the hole the swim to the top. Way too easy and was actually fun to see how many you could get from each hole. I dont know how long you can keep shrimp before they die but it would be worth a weekend trip just to load up for steelies or sturgeon or salmon.

T
Titanium_titty_fishing
That is one beautiful fish, what did you catch that on?

TTF

S
slimyguts
One BIG thing I forgot to mention. My wonder wife who has TONS of PATIENCE for my fishin addiction was with me during the trip. I made that special hillbilly breakfast on the tailgate in the motel parking lot for her. She was so nice the whole trip, she barley laughed loud enough for me to hear when I began to drool over the water before me.
Love ya baby, thanks for puttin up with me. I think she does it cause I would fish every day of my life but can't stand to eat fish so she gets it all.