South Fork regs question

D
Dweller
I am considering hitting the south fork around the opener on the 28th but wanted to get a second (third etc) opinion on the regulations for that water.

South Fork regulations say "from mouth upstream to marked deadline at milepost 1" for fin clipped steelhead Jan 1 - March 31 and Dec 1-31

Tributaries not listed - Closed.

My interpretation is that this water is open for trout using artificial flies and lures only (per the regional regulation) from May 28th - Aug 31.

Am I correct in my thinking? Special regulations trump regional. Regional trump state-wide. Since there is no specific mention of trout in the special regulations then the regional regulations apply, right? 2 per day, 2 daily limits in possession, lures and flies, May 28th to August 31st.

Thanks All.

B
beaverfan
Pretty sure it's closed to trout fishing.

S
shimano22
that is how it reads to me as well Dweller it does not say anything in special regulations about it being closed or different from the regional regs but i would call odfw or the sheriff in that area to double check that as you dont want to have a couple hundred dollar trout on your stringer.

B
beaverfan
I think you guys may be right but I would recommend leaving it alone as it is one of the key spawning tributaries for native Coho and native winter Steelhead. Much of what you catch will be smolt, the mainstem Wilson has some really good trout fishing and there's enough access to find a stretch of river to yourself even on the busiest of days. If you do fish it be gentle with em.

Y
Yohan
beaverfan said:
I think you guys may be right but I would recommend leaving it alone as it is one of the key spawning tributaries for native Coho and native winter Steelhead. Much of what you catch will be smolt, the mainstem Wilson has some really good trout fishing and there's enough access to find a stretch of river to yourself even on the busiest of days. If you do fish it be gentle with em.

What beaverfan said X 1,000,000

C
chris61182
Dweller said:
Am I correct in my thinking? Special regulations trump regional. Regional trump state-wide. Since there is no specific mention of trout in the special regulations then the regional regulations apply, right? 2 per day, 2 daily limits in possession, lures and flies, May 28th to August 31st.

Specifically there are two important parts to the zone regulations regarding the dates.
LengthLimits&Other said:
Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater,
May 28-Aug. 31.
and (emphasis below is mine)
Season said:
Streams: (including
tidewaters and
bays): Open
May 28-Oct. 31

Where the former is regarding the dates that you are restricted to artificial only, the later is the entirety of the season.

Last edited: