Some technical questions about drift fishing

N
ninja2010
gotcha, osmo. i'll have to try tying that. just learned how to tie the egg loop... now i gotta go learn me something new...

and thanks, metal. what you said makes sense. gonna try the yarnball this weekend.

Last edited:
M
metalmania
ninja2010 said:
gotcha.

thanks, metal. that makes sense.

guess it's better to just pre-tie then. gonna try it this weekend.

Ya you'll want to pre-tie them, as they take a while to make when your just startin out with them, but you'll pick it up pretty quick. Try mixing colors like white/pink, peach/red and any other combos you want to try. Green is also a great color but it hasn't been as effective as the red's, pink's and orange colors on the clackamas, but worked well on eagle creek.

M
Mike123
I do mine differently then most.. I actually tie them on my hook in my fly vise.
This way I can get them looking sweet and can get them nice and round and it seems easier to tie small ones. Kinda how you tie a Glo-Bug I guess.

T
Thuggin4Life
Does anyone just take a few strands of yarn and tie them on the hook with a regular hook knot? That's how my dad used to do it so that's how i learned to do it.

F
Fishtopher
osmosis said:
When you pull the shank length of leader through to start your knot, pull extra line through, send the end back up through the eye. finish tying your knot over the "loop" of line.. you can then pull on the tag end which is now going back up through the eye of the hook to draw the secondary loop closed.

Im guessing this is what some here like to call "the pimped out egg loop"?
I dont know what to call it, but it works. It's nice to have a loop for yarn, and another for bait.

F
fishnquest
This was an awesome thread. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try yarnballs as soon as I get the engine back in my truck. I better get to work...

C
CLEARDRIFT
Hi folks Iam new to this forum.I live in vancouver BC I find the best way for steelheading is using a clear plastic float when the water is gin clear and using eggs or roe bags is my favorite!roe bags are so easy to use no mess lol. I like to use split shots spaced out even so I can get a nice even drift.leader line is important to if the water is very clear I would go down too 6lb test but most times I use 8lb test .tight lines:D

S
steelhead_stalkers
Don't tell to many people about floats then there will be less fish for me! :lol:

I actually learned how to steelhead fish drift fishing but over the years have added other techniques. That's the great thing about steelhead, so many ways to catch them.

B
Bfishin
I always drift, but have wanted to fish with a float in so many holes, but don't know the proper way to rig one. Also don't know what type to use. Do you just guess the leader length depending in the water depth or is there a method? :cool:

B
Bfishin
Bfishin said:
I always drift, but have wanted to fish with a float in so many holes, but don't know the proper way to rig one. Also don't know what type to use. Do you just guess the leader length depending in the water depth or is there a method? :cool:
Oh, I just watched the Steelhead Stalkers video on the float set-up. Great vid, lots of info, thanks a ton! I'll remember to always put the bobber on!:lol::lol::lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
:) yeah, I have done that a few times actually, pretty sad! I just like not having to retie ever!