Smoking trout--help!!

F
fish face
I tried smoking trout (not salmon) using a recipe I found on the internet using dill for the brine and alder for the wood. Sounds good right? It was terrible and a disaster. Does anybody have good TROUT brine, or do you use the same brine for trout as you would for salmon? I also was told that cherry wood is the best for fish. Thank you for any information.

F
fishtales
Here is my go-to recipe for when I smoke fish. Note, it is for jerky not moist smoked trout. I'm sure some other guys on here could help you better with exactly what you are looking for.

I have used it for salmon trout and rock fish. It was edible each time.

Because some peices cook fast than others, I try and keep on eye on the food and pull off what is done and let the rest continue to cook

2 pounds of fish cut into 1/4 inch thick strips, 1 inch wide and 3 to 6 inches long. perferably fish not so much natural oil.

Marinate fish for in the refridgerator over night. 1/2 cup of soy sauce. 1/4 cup pineapple juice. 1 tbsp. brown sugar. 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper. 1 garlic clove crushed. 1 tbsp. fresh ginger minced. 1 tsp. salt (I am cuttng back on salt and do not add it). 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper.

After sitting over night discard the marinade and dry fish strips well, dabbing them with a paper towel.

If you own a dehydrator or smoker use it otherwise you can us a lightly oiled cake rack or oven rack. place the fish on the rack and set the temapature to 145. after two hours reduce the heat to 130.

The fish should be dry but not brittle so the pieces crack but do not break went bent.

enjoy

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds like a great recipe there. I love brown sugar so I would use more. Also, the salt is important to draw the moisture out and replace it with brine, getting the flavor throughout the fish. I understand the no salt thing though. I could cut back myself. If using a dehydrator, which I usually do with trout, I use liquid smoke too.

Fishtales....I just noticed we have the same number of posts. Race you to 1000! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fishtales
F
fishtales
Hmmm. Agreed, if you are using a dehydrator liquid smoke is best. we dont dehydrate fruit much so a smoker/oven is what I usee in the recipe above.

Last edited:
F
fishtales
I'm up for a race, I might be more like the tortoise than the hair. ;)

O
OnTheFly
I smoked all of my trout from this years Trillium trip and it turned out great. Simple. 1 quart water, 1lb. brown sugar, and 1/4 cup non iodized salt. Make sure it dissolves completely.Soak over night and let dry. Pat dry as well. Until I get a better smoker, I still use a Little Chief. Smoke the fish about 10 hours and it's done. You can vacuum pack and freeze any amount you want to save for later.....much later....a year later if you want. I have one bag left and it'll be cut open during the Super Bowl. The stuff is so good it's worth saving for major events!

E
eggs
Nothing tops smoking carp in a pipe... talk about getting wasted! ;)

I don't have brine and smoke recipe... just wing it and always works out well!

E
eugene1
LOL eggs

eggs said:
Nothing tops smoking carp in a pipe... talk about getting wasted! ;)

I don't have brine and smoke recipe... just wing it and always works out well!

F
fish face
I also have a little chief. What kind of smoking chips do you use—or does it matter?

F
fish face
I want to thank everybody who shared their fish smoking secrets. Looking back, I did everything wrong. I didn’t have a good brine, I didn’t air dry the fish long enough, and I didn’t let the trout smoke nearly long enough. Oh well, live and learn.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
for smoke, I have been using half Apple and half Alder...same brine for trout or salmon....

for whole trout or kokes, after about 2 hours in the smoker, I pull them out and fillet to remove the backbone and expose more flesh to the smoke, then back in for more smoke and heat to finish the process. (cutting the skin along the top from head to tail with a small scissors make them fillet without tearing the skin)...

we smoked and canned 5 pounds of fat rainbows yesterday from Detroit Lake/Brietenbush River, good eats!

cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
S
steelhead_slayer
I use the same brine for trout or salmon.
1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup some kind of sugar. I like brown sugar. Then other spices like garlic, cayenne, lemon. What ever flavors sound good to you. Let it sit in brine at least 12 hours. Take fish out and place on paper towel skin down. Pat the top dry and let sit for half hour. Start the smoker so it is heated up. Then place little pieces on top rack and bigger ones on the bottom. I like to use Adler chips. I smoke trout for about 6 hours changing the chips every hour.

T
trouthunter
I use 1/2 cup salt 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 gallon apple cider I let the fish soak in the brine mixture for 4 days in the fridge then smoke them they have a after taste like a honey cured ham as well as the smoked fish flavor have used this for over 30 years always works for me and I have had no complaints.

A
Andrew8100
That sounds nice, easy and tasty. Think I will try that...I also found one this type of nice recipe for trout from the home weekly magazine. I sure will must be next time post here...Thanks for sharing this....

F
FishNinja
If you would have released it you wouldn't be needing help to smoke it. Smoking is bad! Put the first down and go fishing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
FishNinja said:
If you would have released it you wouldn't be needing help to smoke it. Smoking is bad! Put the first down and go fishing.

setting aside, for now, your apparent issue with harvesting fish as a food source, I am curious about your concern with properly smoked fish....cheers,roger

F
FishNinja
I'm all for killing fish for food! Smoking on the other hand I cannot agree with. The smoke has to taste horrible! Not to mention the health consequences! What benefit does smoking a freaking fish have?!?!

F
fishtales
It tastes good in my dip thats for sure. I also spread it on my toast.:D

C_Run
C_Run
I just served up a double batch of smoked kokanee dip at a potluck last month using the smoked salmon recipe from Allrecipies.com . The guests were on it like a pack of dogs and it was the first thing to disappear. Apparently, they were not concerned with any health consequences and seemed to like the taste.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
FishNinja said:
I'm all for killing fish for food! Smoking on the other hand I cannot agree with. The smoke has to taste horrible! Not to mention the health consequences! What benefit does smoking a freaking fish have?!?!

it makes them taste great and still a healthy food if done correctly. I am curious about your source for thinking there is a health issue with fish smoked, what part of the process or end product are you concerned about? cheers, roger

Last edited: