Smith River boundaries

L
Lamiglas
Just curious how far up smith river you can go? Odfw says sisters creek. I like to explore and find my own holes so any suggestions for neat stretches that require a hike or where there won't be much pressure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

S
spmpdr
Lamiglas said:
Just curious how far up smith river you can go? Odfw says sisters creek. I like to explore and find my own holes so any suggestions for neat stretches that require a hike or where there won't be much pressure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are we talking about the smith river that runs to the coast in Smith River ,CA ???? If so It depends on which fork of the river your fishing on. Thats my home water so let me know if this is the case and ill point you to some good lesser known spots!!!

L
Lamiglas
spmpdr said:
Are we talking about the smith river that runs to the coast in Smith River ,CA ???? If so It depends on which fork of the river your fishing on. Thats my home water so let me know if this is the case and ill point you to some good lesser known spots!!!

Smith River, Oregon

L
luddite
The regs say closed above Twin Sisters creek for steelhead. I believe it is C/R for natives only so does not get a lot of pressure. I used to spend time camping there and used to pull some nice Cutthroat out of the river there. There was a campground at the creek but it was removed about 10 years ago, now there is just a bridge. About 1/2 way between there and hwy 101 is Vincent Creek rec site, it has been on my list of places to spend some time camping/fishing for the past couple years. Good luck.

L
Lamiglas
luddite said:
The regs say closed above Twin Sisters creek for steelhead. I believe it is C/R for natives only so does not get a lot of pressure. I used to spend time camping there and used to pull some nice Cutthroat out of the river there. There was a campground at the creek but it was removed about 10 years ago, now there is just a bridge. About 1/2 way between there and hwy 101 is Vincent Creek rec site, it has been on my list of places to spend some time camping/fishing for the past couple years. Good luck.

Thanks. I hit it pretty hard today with spinners and jigs but only managed to catch a trout. I went a couple miles above the Vincent campground and found some great water but nothing. I almost fish exclusively for natives so I'll check it out again sometime, maybe go farther up.

D
dtikey
Lamiglas said:
Thanks. I hit it pretty hard today with spinners and jigs but only managed to catch a trout. I went a couple miles above the Vincent campground and found some great water but nothing. I almost fish exclusively for natives so I'll check it out again sometime, maybe go farther up.

I fish in that area a lot for winters and if I were you I would not fish up but fish down. There is sweet slots that always hold fish just above the falls and then the deadline hole at the falls is nice float fishing or drifting and then I always drop down to doe creek and walk down fishing from that bridge with 1/4 ounce steelies or bluefoxes.You will find nice deep bedrock cuts through there.It is a great river if your not into keeping all the fish you get as I have gotten lots of fish here and spend lots of time here and know of one hatchery in 6 years.

L
Lamiglas
dtikey said:
I fish in that area a lot for winters and if I were you I would not fish up but fish down. There is sweet slots that always hold fish just above the falls and then the deadline hole at the falls is nice float fishing or drifting and then I always drop down to doe creek and walk down fishing from that bridge with 1/4 ounce steelies or bluefoxes.You will find nice deep bedrock cuts through there.It is a great river if your not into keeping all the fish you get as I have gotten lots of fish here and spend lots of time here and know of one hatchery in 6 years.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check those spots out. I found a great looking hole above and after I was done I saw a sign that said 'water hole'. I ended up catching a trout but I bet that spot is good just after a big rain in January. Catch and release is all I try to do - Natives are my passion.

A
abibibo
How wide does the river average up around the falls? I just finished building up my first spey rod a week or two ago. I'm having a blast learning to cast the thing. Right now its about all I want to fish, but I've been also been wanting to check out the smith sometime this winter. I'm guessing up there it'd be pretty skinny water for a 13 footer? Kind of a long haul for me and might wait till some of the novelty of my spey rod wears of before making the trip if I'd be limited to just my single handed rods.

D
dtikey
yes the water is pretty skinny up there and lots of brush and steep banks but if you really wanted to the river would be wide enough for your spey rod 1/4 mile above the falls in all the bedrock flats up there.It will give you about 300 yards maybe of fishable water otherwise stick to a single hander.

A
abibibo
Thanks dtikey! Still want to make the trip down there sometime this season, but its always nice knowing what type of water your getting into before burning a bunch of gas.