Silvers in Siuslaw

M
mikeredding
I used to fish for Silvers in the Siuslaw between Mapleton and Florence when I was a kid and was hoping to start doing it again. Is there still a run and when is it?
 
isabella
isabella
Yes there is a run of silvers in the Siuslaw. Most fish are native but also a few brats,From what i have been told about 6% of the run.This year the silvers came in around October slacked off and then another batch around late N:rolleyes:vember.
 
F
FishSchooler
isabella said:
Yes there is a run of silvers in the Siuslaw. Most fish are native but also a few brats,From what i have been told about 6% of the run.This year the silvers came in around October slacked off and then another batch around late N:rolleyes:vember.

yeah, wait for september. first come the hatcheries then come the wilds a while after that.
 
M
mikeredding
isabella said:
Yes there is a run of silvers in the Siuslaw. Most fish are native but also a few brats,From what i have been told about 6% of the run.This year the silvers came in around October slacked off and then another batch around late N:rolleyes:vember.

So you are saying that 6% of the run are hatchery fish. Right?
 
isabella
isabella
I am just repeating what i was told by the fish and wildlife guy. 6% is not a whole lot but it gives you a chance to take a fish home.:dance:
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
And brat stock fish hold, and travel with distinctly different habits, so targeting them is quite easy when the river isn't stacked full of Coho. The Suislaw will always spit a few clippers out, but for the most part it is a finned fishery. Very entertaining when their brain says, "It's time to go." Lots of action.
 
M
mikeredding
That sounds fun and I am C&R most of the time but when I go Salmon fishing I want some in the smoker!:D I guess I will see about some other waters.
 
J
JeannaJigs
If you want to retain some wild silvers with their fins take your boat to Tahkenitch or Siltcoos lake October-December :) you can take 5 a year, 100% wild run. It's absolutely one of my favorite salmon fisheries. Tahkenitch is a beautiful lake and has WAY less pressure than Siltcoos, but I've done quite well at both lakes.
 
M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
If you want to retain some wild silvers with their fins take your boat to Tahkenitch or Siltcoos lake October-December :) you can take 5 a year, 100% wild run. It's absolutely one of my favorite salmon fisheries. Tahkenitch is a beautiful lake and has WAY less pressure than Siltcoos, but I've done quite well at both lakes.

I have been hearing some about this. Definitely sounds like a possibility for me.:lol: I will be reading up on this in the upcoming months.;)
 
J
JeannaJigs
There's a tonnnnnnn of jacks in there averaging 18-19 inches, but hey they're still good eating :) they're pretty fat fish too. However I've pulled out some really nice fish, Last year 3 adults 27, 29 and 30 inches, and a few years back a 31 inch hen that weighed in at 18 pounds. As long as you have a boat with a motor, some wigglers, kwikfish, and blue fox type lures (I don't actually use blue foxes anymore, I switched over to North Country Lure's equivilent, soooo much better) You will be golden. I can email you a map too that shows the best areas to fish (the lakes are huge and you don't want to spend forever trying to find the fish)
 
F
FreshMoneyFisher
Maps?

Maps?

JJigs,
I'll take one of those maps if you're offering...thanks!
 
J
JeannaJigs
FreshMoneyFisher said:
JJigs,
I'll take one of those maps if you're offering...thanks!
I have some maps of both Tahkenitch and Siltcoos with some helpful info written on them, if you want 'em send me a PM with your email address, and I'll email them to you, or anyone that wants them for that matter.
 
M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
wigglers, kwikfish, and blue fox type lures (I don't actually use blue foxes anymore, I switched over to North Country Lure's equivilent, soooo much better)

What size do you run?
 
J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
What size do you run?
The smallest size of brad's wigglers they have at joes, not the magnums, and k12 kwikfish. Size 4 or 5 (usually go with 5's though) blue fox type lures, though i use north country lures equivilent, they're made locally instead of japan or wherever.
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
Storm's are much more consistent than Brad's on our rivers, and they seem to need much less tuning to get them to hunt properly.
 
M
mikeredding
Cool. I picked op a bunch of different colors of the Blue Fox today. Bi Mart was clearancing them for $1.30, couldn't pass them up!:lol:
 
J
JeannaJigs
I don't like blue foxes because they run weird, the eye is crooked 9 times out of ten because they're mass produced, they work though, and that's an awesome price, if they cost that much routinely i might use them, but i can't justify 3-5 bucks a piece for those things.
 
J
JeannaJigs
ArcticAmoeba said:
Storm's are much more consistent than Brad's on our rivers, and they seem to need much less tuning to get them to hunt properly.
storms are in short supply around here, but I find though that for lake use (which we're talkin' about in this case) they work very well and I've caught my yearly limit the last 4 years using them.
 
M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
I don't like blue foxes because they run weird, the eye is crooked 9 times out of ten because they're mass produced, they work though, and that's an awesome price, if they cost that much routinely i might use them, but i can't justify 3-5 bucks a piece for those things.

I couldn't pass on them for the price and besides it won't be anything that the needle nose pliers won't fix!:clap:
 
J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
I couldn't pass on them for the price and besides it won't be anything that the needle nose pliers won't fix!:clap:
Good point, I just like supporting local business when I can though ya know? If the price is right though I'll buy whatever lol
 

Similar threads

R
Replies
10
Views
744
Grant22
Grant22
sambone
Replies
6
Views
738
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
NKlamerus
Replies
2
Views
387
hobster
hobster
jamisonace
Replies
3
Views
284
4labs
4labs
T
Replies
2
Views
354
cchinook
C
Top Bottom