Siltcoos recon 11/6

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
last 2 days, we fished near the outlet/FishMill's and nothing going on. river not moving those days but some fish jump/rolling at the picnic area below the dam.

8am Wednesday, river was moving some and much better clarity at the picnic area, fish jumping every few minutes down there, but that was near low tide so not sure if dam setting has changed, maybe they are letting a little water out. at the launch, water level same or slightly higher than Tuesday, it is fairly low at the launch....

we have had steady drizzle here at the coast for several days but no heavy rain coming down...yet. cheers,roger

M
mikeredding
Excellent info Roger. I will be there somewhere on Saturday with my 18 year old son on a mission to fill two spots on the tags.
Have not had a skunk day yet this year.
Hope to keep it going.

B
bythesea
rogerdodger said:
last 2 days, we fished near the outlet/FishMill's and nothing going on. river not moving those days but some fish jump/rolling at the picnic area below the dam.

8am Wednesday, river was moving some and much better clarity at the picnic area, fish jumping every few minutes down there, but that was near low tide so not sure if dam setting has changed, maybe they are letting a little water out. at the launch, water level same or slightly higher than Tuesday, it is fairly low at the launch....

we have had steady drizzle here at the coast for several days but no heavy rain coming down...yet. cheers,roger

I've driven down to that river @ least 7 times in probably the last 10 days ...the only time that river has moved was when the wind started blow'en real hard I might go check today.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I checked the river Monday 8am, an hour after high tide, moving just a little, several coho splashing around at the picnic area.

more important, the lake level is higher, up at the launch another half foot or so...it is back up to where it was in early October...

B
bythesea
Monday,,,today ?? picnic area, are you talking below the dam I've seen a few fish rolling down there.unfortunately all you can do is watch.or at Tyee camp ground ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bythesea said:
Monday,,,today ?? picnic area, are you talking below the dam I've seen a few fish rolling down there.unfortunately all you can do is watch.or at Tyee camp ground ?

yes, today. I check the Lodgepole Picnic area below the dam to see if fish are moving up and what the water is doing down there...then at Tyee (today: no jumping, not really moving), then the launch...I think based on the lake level, they might let more water out soon...fingers crossed since letting more water out usually brings in a surge of fish...roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
it might be worth adding this about the dam- it does not keep the coho from passing it and entering the lake, the volume of water passing through it controls the lake water level and it has a fish ladder and now also a kayak/canoe slide...when they do open it more ("the dam was open?" or "did they open the dam?" are common questions at the launch), it drops the lake water level and flushes a lot of fresh water down the river and through the beach into the ocean. this causes coho already in the lower river and those still in the ocean near the mouth to beat fins right up into the lake...and fishing can be super hot for several days...cheers, roger

Reactions: billfisher
B
billfisher
Thanks Roger, good info there.Waiting the word.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nothing going on Tuesday, water level slightly higher, we fished 3 hours in the afternoon between the outlet and Booth Island. I did see a few big coho on the sonar and 2 jump/rolls. a few possible strikes on spinners but no fish hooked up, checked with several boats coming back from the arms- no fish caught by any of them. :frown-new: