Silly question but new to the idea of fishing steelhead

C
ColoradoTroutMan
I guess the answer to my question is "yes you can" but was wondering about C&R in regards to Steelhead.

I love fishing but I just don't eat them so if I were to take up the sport I would want to C&R. Just seems to me everyone seems to keep them. Would that be improper etiquette?

J
JonT
Keeping hatchery fish is highly encouraged. Wild fish, by law, mush be released. You will probably catch more hatchery fish than wild fish, but, in my opinion, wild steelhead are as good a target as it gets in the pacific northwest. Be careful - the pursuit of steelhead is an expensive and time consuming addiction.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
JonT said:
Keeping hatchery fish is highly encouraged. Wild fish, by law, mush be released. You will probably catch more hatchery fish than wild fish, but, in my opinion, wild steelhead are as good a target as it gets in the pacific northwest. Be careful - the pursuit of steelhead is an expensive and time consuming addiction.

Much appreciated.

B
Big3d
If you hit the mollala during winter run, you will encounter wild fish pretty much exclusively. Then there is no question. I am fairly certain you will need to buy tags anyway if you plan to fish for them, but c&r is def. Allowed! Good luck

bass
bass
I think that C&R for any species is fine.

I have C&Red hatchery steelhead, coho and springers (in addition to natives). I love to fish but I am not a huge fan of eating fish (especially salmonids). I love salmon sushi (sake nigiri) but I would not trust myself to freeze it thoroughly enough to kill the parasites. I do not care for cooked salmon/steelhead/trout so for me they are strictly C&R. I have given some thought of trying to smoke one, but I have never given it a try.

Thus, as long as you keep your pinky extended while you are releasing them you are exhibiting the proper etiquette :)

B
Big3d
Well said Bass!

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Much appreciated all.

hobster
hobster
I've released chrome hatchery steelies also because the freezer had plenty, people look at you kind crazy but you can always claim it's a native :D (if they can't see to close). Sometimes they are pretty easy to give away also.

T
Toyracer38
I never have a problem giving the Steelhead I catch away to family or friends. Catch and release is cool tho. I do that with sockeye while trying to find a Chinook.

S
SailCat
Just to clarify, you do have to have a tag when fishing salmon or steelhead in Oregon, even if you intend to release every fish. It's a sufficiently expensive hobby/lifestyle/addiction without having to pay a fine along the way ....

H
HRxPaperStacks
JonT said:

I can second this. In almost 10 years I've caught 2, and I have more gear than I even know what to do with. They're pretty finicky fish, but MAN when you hook into one the feeling is unreal. The fight is incredible.

T
troutmasta
bass said:
I think that C&R for any species is fine.

Thus, as long as you keep your pinky extended while you are releasing them you are exhibiting the proper etiquette :)

Bingo.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Great information all, thanks.

Working on that pinky extension thing. :)

Chromatose
Chromatose
I C & R 95% of the time. Personally I like the looks I get when releasing fish back. Better yet, the comments.