Shad Fishing Results

J
JPHedberg
I have not been shad fishing in years! I am looking to head out to Cascade Locks soon, but I have a question for you guys....

What kind of set up are you using out there?

Thanks,

Josh

T
Troutier Bassier
ok It looks like this (kinda)

At the very bottom of your line a swivel and a 4oz Pyramid, 5 Inchess above that a trebly hook with yarn 5in above that a treble with yarn and same thing. The way you fish there is. when you get there you will see cause thats the only way to fish there pretty much.

P
plunkme
at bonneville we drift like salmon/steelhead, we use a 1 oz weight to about a 3ft leader to a 1/16 oz shad dart

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah thats what you were doing. I dident brong shad darts Or lead weights so I was screwed cause that was my first time fishing for shad there. Up from where you were Plunkme there wasn't anygood fishing up there. better where you were,

B
bir48die
You can use some small spoons but shad darts are the way to go. Make sure you take chatreuse and some pink. Can also stick on colored grubs.

Use 3 way with weight and 36" leader.

F
FishSchooler
Use green in the morning when it isn't that bright, and pink when the sun is up.

I use no swivel, just 4-5 inches of hollow core lead and a jig head.

T
Troutier Bassier
Green red are my fav colors.

F
FishSchooler
How were you fishing them? I snagged WAY too much when I was at clackamette.

T
Troutier Bassier
dude, Plunk me snags tooo!

P
plunkme
yes i do but i was bank drifting 1/2oz sliding egg weight if i snag it will help allow the egg to move around on my line and most of the time ill get unsnagged but using 1/2 oz allows me to stay well off the bottom and a 3' leader to a shad dart will allow me to get closer to the bottom without snaggin i probably only snagged 2 times today

F
FishSchooler
oooh egg sinker... thanks. :cool:

Oh yeah, Im going shaddin at Bonneville on Saturday AM!

A
Anyfishisfine
plunkme said:
yes i do but i was bank drifting 1/2oz sliding egg weight if i snag it will help allow the egg to move around on my line and most of the time ill get unsnagged but using 1/2 oz allows me to stay well off the bottom and a 3' leader to a shad dart will allow me to get closer to the bottom without snaggin i probably only snagged 2 times today

So you don't let it contact bottom, or at least try not to? I think that might have been my problem. I was going for the bounce and snagged on nearly every cast.

I think a big part of the issue at Clackamite is the hundreds and thousands of yards of mono strong along the bottom there. It would be a fun cleanup project for a bunch of bored scuba divers.

T
Troutier Bassier
I agree with anyfishisfine! you will get SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much tackle.Its not even funny.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
I agree with anyfishisfine! you will get SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much tackle.Its not even funny.

Haha, most of it is going to be hooked in you if you even dare go scuba diving during shad season.

T
Troutier Bassier
.... Dont remined me of that. Anyways, What time do you go to bed??? its like 12:02 right now. and you post at 11:31????

dont you care about school?
JustKidding. Nobody dose.

F
FishSchooler
Err yeah I care about school. Funny how you don't. :naughty:

Anyway... I was doing homework, fininshing up a big project. Good thing I just brought myself back up to a 4.0!

T
Troutier Bassier
Dude, same here. I was typing 2 papers! science and math! i went to bed at that night and when i got to school I looked it over and found 7 mistakes on both papers!

F
FishSchooler
Who writes papers in math?:think:

T
Troutier Bassier
Well I had to write a ABC book using math terms.

A is a day without a calculator. AHHHHHHHHHH

Zis is my book.