Shad above the falls?

N
nwflyingdutchman
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of people catching shad above the falls. I've heard of people catching it below the falls in Oregon City, just didn't know if they made it up past the falls or head elsewhere. Kinda want to give it a try out at Champoeg or San Salvador but willing to go below the falls if necessary.

B
Big3d
For what it's worth, I'd stay below the falls, the shad that get up above the falls on the fish ladder will be a huge difference from the numbers in the O.C. area

or read the reply below for a good answer

Last edited:
S
SailCat
There are no shad above the Falls due to the enclosed design of the fish ladder. Shad won't swim through a 'pipe.'

N
nwflyingdutchman
good to know. With that in mind is there any spot below the falls I should target from the bank (or kayak)?

C
catfishman89
Clackamette park and the docks at oregon city.

S
SailCat
From The Guide's Forecast: "It's worth mentioning (as we do every year at this time, that shad move upstream nose-to-tail in an undulating line. Anchoring in the path of the fish results in frequent hookups so if you see others getting more action than you, try moving toward one bank or the other. One they're intercepted, you should catch all you need or want. Even of it's not fast and furious, it's only a matter of putting in the time. They're in there. When they're hitting well, a bright brass swivel and a shiny, nickel Siwash hook will get 'em."

In addition, chartreuse grubs have been hooking shad. Frankly, if you go now through June, in a kayak or any other watercraft, you will get shad of you got in their path.

N
nwflyingdutchman
Struck out today. Gave it a try down at clackamette park for a while this morning. I wasn't getting a real good vibe from the lack of boats and bank fishermen, but stuck out there for a couple of hours. Since I was banking it I stuck with the a drift fishing set up. jThrowing dick nites and chartruse grubs and nothing happening. Only saw one fish caught after being out there 3 hours. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

B
Big3d
if that side's bad try mary s young park in west linn, that way you hit both banks, you could pick up a few bass too when you're over there

H
Half-Fast
I hit the river on Thursday for shad. We are used to catching them 'till we are tired of it. Only got 7 in the boat and saw very few caught. Is it over?

S
SailCat
It's not "over" but is winding down and will require a little extra effort. The shad run is usually considered wrapped up at the end of June although a few will be taken here and there in July.