Secret honey hole

H
HereFishy
My friend and I headed out to my honey hole in Dallas today. We KILLED it. We were averaging 1 largemouth for every 2 casts. I'm not sure if all the stars aligned or if I have this northwest bass thing figured out... Either way, I had an EPIC morning, pulling bass out of the water... Just thought I'd share...

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
Y
Yogidabear
That's cool, I haven't bass fished for thirty years looks like you found a great spot.

L
lilsalmon
Nice bass! I was just in Dallas at a pond attempting to get my first bass on a fly. Only had one hit in the evening but caught a ton of bluegill. They are pretty entertaining.

H
HereFishy
lilsalmon said:
Nice bass! I was just in Dallas at a pond attempting to get my first bass on a fly. Only had one hit in the evening but caught a ton of bluegill. They are pretty entertaining.
lilsalmon... PM sent...

L
Liphooked
I'm just new to the bass. Can I get some help? I live in Gresham. pm anyone? Thank you. Went to Hagg today got skunked. Those are great looking fish!

T
tomriker
T
Throbbit _Shane
tomriker said:
That was your first mistake...

How so? State record smallie is from there...

T
tomriker
Throbbit _Shane said:
How so? State record smallie is from there...

Before it was ruined perhaps like before all the meatheads started takin EVERYTHING caught. But thought they might be talking about largemouth. Smallies aren't real bass :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
They fight pound for pound better then Large Mouth. And iv seen some nice bass from there recently, also the state record was caught in 2005. I'm sure the bass are doing fine with all the trout they dump in there.

L
Liphooked
okay then were should I have been?:cool:

L
Liphooked
I don't want to keep them all. Just one every now and again. I can't even catch them with them right gear. I would like to know where on the Columbia I could pull a couple out in the down time of chrome and pink.
tomriker said:
Before it was ruined perhaps like before all the meatheads started takin EVERYTHING caught. But thought they might be talking about largemouth. Smallies aren't real bass :)

L
Liphooked
As I have experienced they are hard to catch out of there, from the bank anyhow.
Throbbit _Shane said:
They fight pound for pound better then Large Mouth. And iv seen some nice bass from there recently, also the state record was caught in 2005. I'm sure the bass are doing fine with all the trout they dump in there.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Liphooked said:
As I have experienced they are hard to catch out of there, from the bank anyhow.

Hagg bass from shore is not a problem, if you are willing to hike. Dont just hit the well trampled spots - if there is bare dirt, fishing will likely be so so. Hagg bass - large and smallmouth are spooky, picky fish most of the time. They like slow presentatuons a lot. Mlst of my fish come from crawling plastics - tubes, senkos , robo worms, and curly grubs. Red, pumpkin, watermellon and crawfish are my go to colors. In dirty water i add chartreuse.

Dont discount slowly fished spinners and spinnerbaits either. My biggest hagg largemouth fell to a willowleaf spinnerbait fished in heavy brush, retrieved as slow as possible to just keep the blade turning. Biggest smallie ate a 4 inch red senko drug on the bottom at snail pace.

Fish points, rip rap, weed beds near drop offs. Water is still high, fish are in close because of access to nearby deep water. Spooked some spawners last week. Early am and late evening are best bassin times on hagg. Late eve topwater fishing is killer during summer. Most good bass water can be reached on foot. A lot requires going further than the average guy. Some requires honest bushwacking. Still, it can be done. If you wade, you will do better at some places. Careful of near shore drop offs if you do wade - some places go from 3 to 10 feet in one step... bad times if you arent careful.

L
Liphooked
word bro. I got one there yesterday. Hooked up with two 2 pounders. keep one. I was starting to think that's bad keeping one. Yesterday though I didn't care. I broke my Lami yesterday. so I keep the fish it pulled in. I'm so sad. this pole was bought second hand and lasted three years. it was a fly rod converted to a spin rod because the reel holder broke. I zip stripped and duck taped it. The pole caught a steelhead last year, too many trout to count 8 bass and two salmon! It will be missed! Thanks again on the bass info!
GungasUncle said:
Hagg bass from shore is not a problem, if you are willing to hike. Dont just hit the well trampled spots - if there is bare dirt, fishing will likely be so so. Hagg bass - large and smallmouth are spooky, picky fish most of the time. They like slow presentatuons a lot. Mlst of my fish come from crawling plastics - tubes, senkos , robo worms, and curly grubs. Red, pumpkin, watermellon and crawfish are my go to colors. In dirty water i add chartreuse.

Dont discount slowly fished spinners and spinnerbaits either. My biggest hagg largemouth fell to a willowleaf spinnerbait fished in heavy brush, retrieved as slow as possible to just keep the blade turning. Biggest smallie ate a 4 inch red senko drug on the bottom at snail pace.

Fish points, rip rap, weed beds near drop offs. Water is still high, fish are in close because of access to nearby deep water. Spooked some spawners last week. Early am and late evening are best bassin times on hagg. Late eve topwater fishing is killer during summer. Most good bass water can be reached on foot. A lot requires going further than the average guy. Some requires honest bushwacking. Still, it can be done. If you wade, you will do better at some places. Careful of near shore drop offs if you do wade - some places go from 3 to 10 feet in one step... bad times if you arent careful.