Sea run cutthroat with a fly rod?

brandon4455
brandon4455
i heard an intresting fact yesterday that sear runs will eat a fly when they are in the tidewater that sounds pretty cool.. anyone have fly suggestions besides shrimp patterns? i'd like to try this next year

B
beaverfan
I would think that a muddler minnow would work well.

B
bigsteel
brandon4455 said:
i heard an intresting fact yesterday that sear runs will eat a fly when they are in the tidewater that sounds pretty cool.. anyone have fly suggestions besides shrimp patterns? i'd like to try this next year

i caught several on dry flies this year,not in tidewater,higher up...anything flashy,,small leech patterns,,,,theres nothing like the dry fly though

troutdude
troutdude
ah hem...

Fix your peepers on my avatar little buddy. That is the Borden Special. It was developed specifically for the Alsea Bluebacks! I'm not sure about the tidewater aspect; but it has caught hundreds of bluebacks in the river proper for a couple of decades.

Mitch at Two Rivers Fly Shop in Albany recently told me; that two old timer's frequently come in and buy up 3 or 4 dozen Borden Specials. Sometimes Mitch can't keep up w/ the demand. So, they must work well!

Here is a link on how to tie them (and also where I "borrowed" my avatar):

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2010/03/14/bordens-special-sea-run-cutthroat-fly-pattern/

Here is another variation:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/fly135.html

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
dry fly fishing looks fun,but i think ill try dry and sinking or streamer type flies. dad said if i want i can try to find a cheap 5wt combo in jan. so thats what ill do. that way if i dont have time to fly fish for steelhead i could fish for cutthroat. and when the bite is off in the tidewater at the salmon river in early sept. ill try flies at the 101 bridge. sounds like a great plan right? ive caught plently of them there on spinners or worms so im sure flies will work well too. thanks everyone

brandon

E
everett464
Jay from the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog did an entire Sea Run Cutthroat series this year. TD posted one of them above, but there were several variations of a few solid looking patterns - if you go to the site poke around a little; they were all posted within about three week of one-another.

brandon4455
brandon4455
everett464 said:
Jay from the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog did an entire Sea Run Cutthroat series this year. TD posted one of them above, but there were several variations of a few solid looking patterns - if you go to the site poke around a little; they were all posted within about three week of one-another.

i think i watched a few of those while looking at comet flies for chinook,, they are pretty cool lookin.

M
michigan_transplant
i caught a nice 15 incher on the alsea last weekend. prolly was headed out to the ocean. took down a pink worm under a bobber.

brandon4455
brandon4455
hahaha. thast cool the so many things sea runs and steelhead have in common you could catch about 20-30 trout in a river if you didn't get a steelhead with your steelhead tackle.

brandon4455
brandon4455
when a fly is made to look like a rainbow rooster tail it should most definitely work Lol.

brandon4455
brandon4455
beaverfan said:
I would think that a muddler minnow would work well.

is a muddler minnow a dry? i use to have one and it looked like a floating fly to me but idk.

Y
Yohan
Reverse Spiders are the ticket!!! Some other favorites are Cutthroat Candy, Finn Mickey, SPARSELY tied Clousers (both bucktail and marabou tied white over olive or chartreuse or pink or blue or yellow), Polar shrimp (or some variation with an orange body and white wing), Olive Squirrel, Chum Baby, and of course the previously mentioned Borden Special. If I could have one fly (in different colors) it would be the Reverse Spider and if I could have another it would be the Borden Special. When I'm fishing in the salt I use a lot of baitfish and marine worm patterns as well. If you want to have a lot of fun order (or tie up) some Miyawaki Poppers. I think they are only available at the Orvis store in Bellevue, WA where the creator Leland Miyawaki works. Strip it top water creating a V wake and watch the Cutthroat go absolutely crazy as they come flying out of the water! Hook up rate goes down because of the aerials, but its fun and a good searching pattern. If you are interested in fly fishing for these awesome fish, buy Les Johnson's book "Fly-Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout". It is the SRC fishing bible!

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive heard a lot about spiders..and thank you so much for the fly suggestions. i think ill write em down.. thid past year i noticed a lot of them so i tied a worm on and caught about 20 of em Lol. but a fly rod sounds 10 times the fun so ill go for it. btw isn't the polar shrimp a steelhead patterm? yet another example of steelhead and sea runs biting the same thing

troutdude
troutdude
Yohan said:
Reverse Spiders are the ticket!!!

Do reverse spiders moon walk? LOL

Y
Yohan
brandon4455 said:
btw isn't the polar shrimp a steelhead patterm?

That's one way to look at it, or you could say that it's a SRC pattern that also catches steelhead! :lol: :cool:

You are correct that there are a lot of crossover patterns only differing in size. I wouldn't use a hook any bigger than a 6. Most of my SRC flies are tied on size 8-12. Oh yea...PINCH the barbs!

troutdude
troutdude
Book suggestion

Book suggestion

Yohan...thanks for the book suggestion!

Brandon...the Borden Special was made to imitate a Hot Pink Rooster Tail originally (or at least, that is what I have been told).

brandon4455
brandon4455
Yohan said:
That's one way to look at it, or you could say that it's a SRC pattern that also catches steelhead! :lol: :cool:

You are correct that there are a lot of crossover patterns only differing in size. I wouldn't use a hook any bigger than a 6. Most of my SRC flies are tied on size 8-12. Oh yea...PINCH the barbs!

always pich when c&r don't worry about that :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:

Brandon...the Borden Special was made to imitate a Hot Pink Rooster Tail originally (or at least, that is what I have been told).

oh yeah pink not rainbow..duhh sorry a little mixup LOL. hot pink rooster tails can catch pretty much any cold water fish in this state thats the cool part. ive hooked chinook caught coho and got hits from steelhead on em!

Y
Yohan
troutdude said:

It was also created in 1961... and still killin 'em (figuratively speaking)

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, that's what I've heard.

In regards, to hot pink rooster's...

I stood next to my uncle once, on a Siletz trib (no longer open). He reeled in 15 Ho's in 15 casts, in one day! No joke, I was right there. All one on hot pink rooster.