Bullhead's

D
DonF
I have liked fishing for bullheads for years but if there's a draw back, they were always pretty small. Well that has changed. Guy my son buy's hay from has an irrigation pond that has lots of them in it and most are good eating size. Been out there twice. First time we got 25 and the all ran about 14" to over 15", that's big for a bull head. Little small pond too! Got to try out my bullhead and small mouth rods/reels. I like round casting reels and have more than a few. But I broke down and got a few new low profile reels just for bullheads and small mouth. Two Kastkings I put 6# line on and a Daiwa low profile. Ran out of 6# line and spooled it with 8#. have one round reel I use on them, an ABU 2500. Really small for a round but super smooth, love it. Got the biggest Bullhead with it 15 1/2". have got a few channel cats with it that were about 18" but just seemed I was asking to much of the little thing so stick to my heavier reels for channels now. Last fall they drained haystack Reservoir to work on the damn and don't know if there's any bullheads left it if, they got most the water completely out and this spring stocked it with trout again! Need to go give it a shot again. I'd give the trout a try but they simply don't excite me much. Of course I'd been doing those little stockers F&G stock for so long. The little bullheads fight as well and taste a lot better. Wouldn't mind a trip to East Lake, did it a lot when I was a kid. But read some other type of trash fish is in there now and fishing just isn't all that good anymore. Beside's that it over 100 mi from home. For 5 8" trout? Not likely but really used to like East Lake. First trip in was late 1940's. Dirt road in and you could pick up Obsidian if you wanted to. Beautiful lake!