Saturday!

J
jrbecca
I'm thinking of heading out to Molalla River State Park this weekend and dropping a line in a river for the first time this season. Anything unique about the Molalla I should be aware of in advance?

W
wozniasm
It's a great place to pick blackberries if they are ready.
There's a foot path that leads to the mouth of the Molalla where it goes into the Willie.
Try at the mouth and then upstream on the Mo.

M
Modest_Man
What are you fishing for? Smallmouth? The NW Steelheaders are having a float on that lower section on Saturday to catch and kill as many smallies as they can, just FYI.

R
redhawk50
Bring a machete, don't know the legality of that. The trail to the mouth is overgrown if not almost invisible. You can get turned around a bit so be aware of that. Once you get there it is a good spot.

O
OnTheFly
I'm not familiar with the area but I'd bet there're springers up in there by now.

J
jrbecca
wozniasm said:
It's a great place to pick blackberries if they are ready.
There's a foot path that leads to the mouth of the Molalla where it goes into the Willie.
Try at the mouth and then upstream on the Mo.

Thank you, sir. Is the river wadeable? Or would you recommend bank fishing?

Modest_Man said:
What are you fishing for? Smallmouth? The NW Steelheaders are having a float on that lower section on Saturday to catch and kill as many smallies as they can, just FYI.

Lovely...sigh. I've never fished for anything but trout, so that's what I'd be after. Do you know when the float is scheduled to end?

redhawk50 said:
Bring a machete, don't know the legality of that. The trail to the mouth is overgrown if not almost invisible. You can get turned around a bit so be aware of that. Once you get there it is a good spot.

Thanks for the advice! A woman fly fishing with a machete at her side? It sounds like a truly awful, cheesy, action movie in the making. Ha! I've never been to this park. Is it that expansive that getting turned around could be a major issue?

OnTheFly said:
I'm not familiar with the area but I'd bet there're springers up in there by now.

Let's hope! :)

M
Modest_Man
If you want trout go higher up the Molalla than the mouth. Like Feyrer Park and upriver. You're not going to be doing much wading at Molalla State Park, the banks are steep and full of woody accumulations.

C
chrisohm
redhawk50 and Modest_Man have provided the best insight. The trail is seriously overgrown and better trout fishing does exist upriver near Feyrer Park. Blackberries won't be available for a few months but you might find some ripe salmon berries.

R
redhawk50
If you start trying to find the mouth it is easy to get turned around a bit. The "trail" is not marked and from what I can tell not official. The area at the mouth is wadeable but you could stay dry as well. I would not hike in waders to many stickers. Trout up in the corridor are fun. Easy parking and wade ability. Might want a machete up there too but for other reasons, also don't leave anything tempting in your ride.

M
Modest_Man
You guys do know there is a path to the mouth on the west side of the river, right?

R
redhawk50
By the power lines? Isn't that private property? If not then I guess I don't have an excuse to use my machete. Is it shallow enough to get across to the gravel bar "island"?

M
Modest_Man
There is public access. Not sure about the wading.

C
chrisohm
Modest_Man said:
You guys do know there is a path to the mouth on the west side of the river, right?

Just pay attention to the signs that say no parking!

F
furflinger
If your lookin for trout-? dickey prairie up, is a good start. I was up there today fliggin Fur- with luck, The water is still a little high but pullin buggers and drifting caddis pupae aka perry winkles... u should have some luck with a good chance of hookn up with some chrome in a pool!!
Good luck!!

J
jrbecca
We hit up Feyrer Park per some OFFers recommendation. With a husband and four kids in tow, we got to the river at the wrong time of day, so the fishing was by and large just casting practice and a chance to scope out sections of the river. Saw some little guys, but nothing catchable. The kids loved splashing around in the water though and picked up sticks to try and fish "just like Mommy." Really great family outing and we'll surely go back another time. Thank you for the recommendation!

K
kenr74
I just got back from kayaking there. Launched at Hebb park and went up to the Molalla. Drug the kayak 50 yards where it meets the Willamette then paddled up stream a ways. No luck other than a couple small bass in the Willamette.

Y
Youngfishermen
I fished out there It's a wonderful place but probly to early needs to be more hot. good luck