Sat 5/1, Where to go? (1hr from Salem)

troutdude
troutdude
I don't know what would be best, when double hooked like that.

But, I was once told by an ODFW Fisheries Biologist, that if a hook is swallowed...just leave it embedded in the fish's gut. And cut your line as close as you can to the hook, without hurting the fish to be released. The biologist said that the fish's blood, contains an enzyme that will dissolve the hook in three days. The fish may not eat for a bit, but it will eventually be just fine.

BTW, many of us are grateful for your concern to release unharmed--an endangered (and protected) species!

M
Michael
troutdude said:
I don't know what would be best, when double hooked like that.

But, I was once told by an ODFW Fisheries Biologist, that if a hook is swallowed...just leave it embedded in the fish's gut. And cut your line as close as you can to the hook, without hurting the fish to be released. The biologist said that the fish's blood, contains an enzyme that will dissolve the hook in three days. The fish may not eat for a bit, but it will eventually be just fine.

BTW, many of us are grateful for your concern to release unharmed--an endangered (and protected) species!

Oh yeah man.. I'm all about the conservation. I'm not a hippie or anything like that. But I really enjoy what we have here in oregon and the more we can do to keep it up, and protect it, the better. I routinely pick up other peoples garbage whenever I go out. I just don't get it.. I see empty fish egg jars and worm containers all the time. You know they brought those out IN something.. . just put it back when you leave.

Anyway... I called the ODFW and talked to a guy about said situation with the white fish. He said....

Swallowed hooK: Yeah, what troutdude said. Said that there is still a good chance that the fish will die, but the odds are better than if you try and remove it.

Double hooked in the head and eye: Under no circumstances AT ALL are you allowed to keep it. No matter how badly damaged it is. This rule removes the "bad enough to keep it" interpretation. Even if the fish is doomed to die, you are still required to return it to the water.

When asked if I should try and remove the hook, or just leave it in it's head he hesitated, paused, and eventually said it would be a judgment call. If in the lip area, no matter how bad it gets torn up, he said to remove it. If in the eye and other sensitive tissue areas, he said "He'd be tempted to leave it in". He also went on to say that maybe, if possible, try and clean up the hook as much as possible.. i.e.. remove the barbs and whatnot. But then followed that up by saying that it would be hard to do because you're trying to get the fish back in the water quickly.

So my understanding is this:

In the mouth/ lip area - remove it.

Eye / Head area: Leave it.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for making that call, and for the great information!

F
flymann
Wow!! What a great post, thanks for sharing!!

S
SmallStreams
Whitefish. Hah! I blew that one!

I
Ifishforfood
that definitely wasn't a bull trout. that was a northern pikeminnow(aka squawfish). they eat endangered salmon , and probably bull trout.

M
Michael
Ifishforfood said:
that definitely wasn't a bull trout. that was a northern pikeminnow(aka squawfish). they eat endangered salmon , and probably bull trout.

Well I ate him. With a little tangy honey mustard and vinegar sauce.