Sandy River is for the birds

Irishrover
Irishrover
I hit the Sandy River yesterday at Dodge Park. The water was looking good up at about 10 feet with a tint of green. There were five guys fishing that strech already so I took my time in getting ready. Two guys left so I found a place to swing the spey rod flipping the line through the constant rain. The othere three gave up and moved out. Great now I have the place to myself. That's when the birds showed up. First a set of fat Canadian Geese with their gossling in tow come by working their way up river right in the seem I'm casting to. It was easy to stop and watch them fight the current and wonder why in the hell they just don't move over closer to the bank and out of the current. They move on and I return to fishing. A wee bit later a Merganser shows up with her brood of chicks. I stop fishing and watch those bird beat their way up steam. I determine that the Merganser chicks out swam those Canadian Geese for sure. Back to fishing again when I see this large form of a bird coming down river flying about 20 feet in the air. I figure this big ol' bird know what he is doing because he is flying not swimming. When It comes by me I recognize that it's a bald eagle. It was awesome to watch that bird glide down river and swoop up to land in a near by tree. Later more guys showed up to fish but the fish were not cooperating yesterday. The day was totally for the birds;)

Last edited:
B
bigdog
I was wondering if that wa you that came down with that rod. We didn't much luck anywhere we went yesterday was slow at best everywhere we went. If I would have realised that was you I would have stop to BS. I was with the group of three the others I was with was Fishingfreak and his brother.

Irishrover
Irishrover
bigdog said:
I was wondering if that wa you that came down with that rod. We didn't much luck anywhere we went yesterday was slow at best everywhere we went. If I would have realised that was you I would have stop to BS. I was with the group of three the others I was with was Fishingfreak and his brother.
You should have stuck around and watched the bird show.....Yep that was me. Was that your rig a green jeep I think. You can tell I'm there by that 1997 Ford F350 crew cab easy to spot. Too bad we did recognize each other.

E
eggs
Good stuff! I enjoy the birds at the hole I fish all the time...

Today the river was brown and rising.. no fish to be seen...

B
bigdog
Irishrover said:
You should have stuck around and watched the bird show.....Yep that was me. Was that your rig a green jeep I think. You can tell I'm there by that 1997 Ford F350 crew cab easy to spot. Too bad we did recognize each other.

No my jeep would be the flat black one broke bown sitting out in front of my place :lol:

Yeah sandy seems pretty slow fish wise, night need to look to the higher end of the sandy.

O
OnTheFly
That's the other reason I like to get out and fish is to check out the wildlife. I was fishing Clear Lake Mt Hood once and watched a bald eagle chase an osprey out of the area. It was like an aereal dog fight only with birds. Needless to say, the eagle dominated.

F
Fishtopher
bigdog said:
No my jeep would be the flat black one broke bown sitting out in front of my place :lol:

Yeah sandy seems pretty slow fish wise, night need to look to the higher end of the sandy.

Somethin' 'bout them Jeeps....

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
That's the other reason I like to get out and fish is to check out the wildlife. I was fishing Clear Lake Mt Hood once and watched a bald eagle chase an osprey out of the area. It was like an aereal dog fight only with birds. Needless to say, the eagle dominated.
That would have been fun to watch. I saw a couple of eagles fighting over a fish on the banks of Prineville Rerervior a while back. It was something to see.

C
chrishophoto
Irishrover said:
That would have been fun to watch. I saw a couple of eagles fighting over a fish on the banks of Prineville Rerervior a while back. It was something to see.

I'll tell you what, if it's eagles you want to see, I'll host on a canoe trip in the shallows of Stergeon Lake, where I can pretty much garrantee that you will see a half dozen or more eagles, up close and personal. The catch is, you have to take me salmon fishing on your boat!

-C

Irishrover
Irishrover
It.s time to get that thing ready to haul to the coast. We'll see how the season shapes up.

J
Jodin
I was in Oxbow the other day and saw a few Osprey hunting. Good stuff.