Sandy beast.

F

fisch

Went COHO fishing and got this nook on eggs. It took some time to get it to the bank on 8lb test. Sandy is loaded with Nooks now. Coho are gone but I hope for new BATCH to arrive soon.
nk.jpg
Fish was safely released right after the photo was taken.

M

mgdguy

HOLY crap!! Your face says it all :lol: Nice fish! :clap: :clap: :clap:

M

metalmania

Nice work. There are so many of those damn things in there it's gettin rediculous:D.

M

Mike123

Those things are better biters than the coho... :lol:

B

BobberDown

man there are some big fish in the sandy right now i landed a fis that was al of 50 in the cedar creek area they are big and nasty but it ws fun it smashed my eggs like a fright train it was the biggest nook i have sean in the sandy in 10 years 3other people landedthat fish after me and with the way the andled tat big fis holding it up bye its gill plat for minets at a time i hope it is not dead what a fish con grats
now it is time to go to the coast for some fish of the size bu chrom

R

Ripple

Too ugly to eat?

Too ugly to eat?

I assume these monsters are in too bad a shape to eat by the time they are up in the Sandy? Anyone sampled? I'm from the midwest and not used to this Anadromous business.

M

Mike123

I assume these monsters are in too bad a shape to eat by the time they are up in the Sandy? Anyone sampled? I'm from the midwest and not used to this Anadromous business.

You can't eat them legally. :)

J

JeannaJigs

What has been said, basically. It's such nasty meat I wouldn't give it to my ex in-laws, it's not even smokeable.

Best thing you can do is snap a photo, release it, and in 4 years, you can repeat the process because you allowed the fish you released today, to spawn. (and hope that in 4 years, you get a chrome bright fish covered in sea lice, for the good karma)

J

Jacks Tackle

There are actually three different runs of fall chinook in the Sandy. The big one is the Tulie type. Probably 75% or so of the run is Tulie or lower river spawners.

The Second is a a very late run that I have only caught a couple of and they are a very late run (November through December) they are not a dark fish but the run in my understanding is only a few hundred fish.

The third is a run of very bright fish. They tend to be small and it is my understanding that they run pretty high up in the system. This run is not very big any more as they were the main take when the river was open to harvest about 8 to 10 years ago. i have a few pics of fall nooks that i caught in october that were as bright as they get.

RB

M

metalmania

There are actually three different runs of fall chinook in the Sandy. The big one is the Tulie type. Probably 75% or so of the run is Tulie or lower river spawners.

The Second is a a very late run that I have only caught a couple of and they are a very late run (November through December) they are not a dark fish but the run in my understanding is only a few hundred fish.

The third is a run of very bright fish. They tend to be small and it is my understanding that they run pretty high up in the system. This run is not very big any more as they were the main take when the river was open to harvest about 8 to 10 years ago. i have a few pics of fall nooks that i caught in october that were as bright as they get.

RB

I landed a small 8lb or so hen a few weeks back that was dang near as chrome as my bumper. I thought it was strange for such a bright fish to be hanging around with all the darkies. Thanks for the info on these fish man.

J

Jacks Tackle

I landed a small 8lb or so hen a few weeks back that was dang near as chrome as my bumper. I thought it was strange for such a bright fish to be hanging around with all the darkies. Thanks for the info on these fish man.

they are pretty rare but always a nice surprise. I have noticed there seems to be a better number of them the last two years so hopefully that will be a long trend.

RB

M

metalmania

they are pretty rare but always a nice surprise. I have noticed there seems to be a better number of them the last two years so hopefully that will be a long trend.

RB

To bad there's not a lot of them left, but yes it was a nice suprise. I just recently started fishing the sandy, and i'm loving it so far. It would be great to see more of these fish in the future.

L

LeftBank

That is a great pic and a fantastic fish. Well done!

J

Jacks Tackle

Here is a chrome Fallie I caught a few years back in mid September.
sandyfallchinook.jpg

definitely not a tulie!

This is one that ODFW Sein Netted out of the Oxbow Boat Ramp Hole right before marmot was Breached. A small number of Fall fish were netted and held in case catastrophic damage was done by the Dam removel. That way the year class could still be retained.
oxbownooker.jpg

How is that for a toad! There are still big fish to make big goals and go after. I believe they did that netting on October 25th that year.

RB