Sandy and Clack?

I
Insulatorkid
Anybody been getting into some Steelies recently on the Sandy or the Clackamas? I’ve been out to both recently throughout the month and haven’t had any luck.

C
CrazyCaptainWillie
Was out on the Sandy last weekend (my first time out there) and nothing, guys I talked to had nothing either...
beautiful day though!! :)

I
Insulatorkid
Thanks man. I’m heading out tomorrow. I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

M
markasd
been all over the clack now for a bit - nada for us. Sandy reports were sounding a bit more promising.. headed that way next.

C
CrazyCaptainWillie
How did it go? find any fish fellas?

I
Insulatorkid
No fish for me on Sunday. Water was at a good level. Gonna try again this weekend.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Insulatorkid;n609315 said:
No fish for me on Sunday. Water was at a good level. Gonna try again this weekend.

We went down from Oxbow Saturday. I was surprised at how good the water looked. No Steelhead just 2 pikeminnow, one on a jig and the other snagged retrieving a spoon.

A
adamg
also floated from oxbow to dabney on sun. water looked great, albeit a bit higher and faster than i prefer. no fish for us and didn't see any for the handful of civilian and guide boats around us through the day.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Raft trip on the upper Sandy river Friday before the rain came and river rose. No biters for us. Saw 3 nice hatchery fish landed each time as we were approaching an area we planned to fish, "Well my Mama told me there'll be days like this". Consolation prize no rain and riding some rapids.
Todd & Forrest Sandy River.jpg

I
Insulatorkid
Right on man! Glad you had a fun trip. Me and my buddy took the boat out to Estacada Lake to see if there were any chillin in the slow moving water. Trolled some plugs and threw some spinners. No luck for us either.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Insulatorkid;n609450 said:
Me and my buddy took the boat out to Estacada Lake to see if there were any chillin in the slow moving water.

I've thrown the kicker on the DB and done the same thing.

I
Insulatorkid
Yeah I wish I had a DB. Mines just a 16’ little aluminum shallow hull. Good for lakes mainly. But does good on estacada and north fork

H
homerhomer
I can say that the Sandy is pretty awful this year. I've only got one and my buddy hasn't gotten anything. It can happen, but it's WAY tougher this year on the Sandy. Maybe the Clack is doing better.

my2labs
my2labs
I float the Sandy almost every weekend and my boat has seen two natives landed all season. (5 total hookups, one of which I never saw but am positive was a sturgeon or the world record steelhead...)

I don't claim to be the best out there... cause that'd be a large, gross misrepresentation..... but I row hard to let friends find fish and often anchor to take casts myself.

Per the reports Ive received, the numbers have been tough this year, but there are fish in.

I netted one (hatchery) for a bank guy this weekend and heard of a couple others caught.....

Don't quit yet...

T
Troutier Bassier
Sandy has been tough for me too! Been to Cedar Creek twice now and have only hooked one. Havent been seeing the numbers I usually do this time of year. I'm going to try the clackamas today, hopefully the sunny weather warms the water enough to entice a few strikes.

M
markasd
Officially thrown in the towel for winters... tough year for me. 0/1 and a lot of days for that... after switching to swinging flies, the catch rate went down just a tad. lol

keep at it fellas - I may get out one or two more times as well, but feeling defeat.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'll stick at it for a few more weeks, wait until the springer numbers increase. :)

A
AnglingAddictsPNW
Had a limit the other day... Sandy has definitely been slowing down.. and the hatchery return numbers show it

W
William Charles
I bonked a 9 lber on the Sandy about a month ago. They're out there.

P
Pni_fisherdude
You should have kept fishing. The limit on the sandy is 3 salmon or steelhead.

Nice fish!

Reactions: AnglingAddictsPNW