Salmon/steel catch stats

S
skunk
I have a question on the reporting of catches on the catch cards that odfw uses to look at catch rates. How in the world did 18 fall chinook get recorded in Sept 2010 and 32 summer steelhead over Oct, Nov, and Dec 2010 on the Salmon R (sandy trib) when fishing for them during those months is closed??? I noticed this on other rivers as well.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I think some of that is error on marking the river down. And they just record it as is.

N
nativefish
and i dunnu i might be ignorant cause i didn't really read the regs too carefully but i just throw down a 6 as the species for any steelhead i catch and keep, but how they know what is summer and what is winter, i mean some rivers its possible to catch winters in the summer or summers in the winter.

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
I think some of that is error on marking the river down. And they just record it as is.

Exactly what happens!

M
Mad dog
nativefish said:
and i dunnu i might be ignorant cause i didn't really read the regs too carefully but i just throw down a 6 as the species for any steelhead i catch and keep, but how they know what is summer and what is winter, i mean some rivers its possible to catch winters in the summer or summers in the winter.

My all time favorite is when the pick a river like the Rogue and say that there were 1,100 or so fall chinook caught in July but at the same time for the same section of river claim there were 700 or so spring chinook caught! :lol:

The ODFW sound like a bunch of bean counters anyway! :D

R
RunWithSasquatch
I think they count the same bean too many times...:think: