Oregon shutting down a lot of fishing

bass
bass
WILLAMETTE ZONE ANGLING HOUR RESTRICTIONS:

Beginning Saturday, July 18, 2015 until further notice, all waterbodies defined as ‘streams’ in the 2015 Oregon Sports Fishing Regulations will be closed to angling for trout, salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon from 2 P.M. to one hour before sunrise, daily.

The following areas will remain open for angling for these species during normal hours under 2015 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations:

Mainstem South Santiam River downstream of Foster Dam,
Quartzville Creek,
North Santiam River upstream of Detroit Reservoir,
Breitenbush River,
McKenzie River and tributaries,
Middle Fork Willamette River downstream of Dexter Dam,
Middle Fork Willamette River and tributaries upstream of Lookout Point Reservoir, and
Alton Baker Canoe Canal.

Angling for warmwater gamefish and other fish, as defined in the regulations, remains open under normal rules.

LOWER WILLAMETTE R. DOWNSTREAM OF WILLAMETTE FALLS - including Multnomah Channel and Gilbert River

Beginning Saturday, July 18, 2015, angling for trout, salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon is prohibited at all times, including hours between one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset.

Angling for warmwater gamefish and other fish, as defined in the regulations, remains open under normal rules.

LOWER CLACKAMAS R. DOWNSTREAM OF INTERSTATE 205 BRIDGE

Beginning Saturday, July 18, 2015, angling for trout, salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon is prohibited at all times, including hours between one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset.

SANDY RIVER

See emergency Willamette Zone angling hour restrictions above
Beginning Friday, June 12 through Saturday, August 15, 2015 anglers are allowed to fish from a floating device on the mainstem Sandy River from the mouth upstream to the bridge over the Sandy River at Ten Eyck Road (a.k.a. Revenue Bridge).

SOUTH SANTIAM RIVER

See emergency Willamette Zone angling hour restrictions above.
From 200 feet above Waterloo Falls downstream to the Waterloo Rd. bridge, the following regulation is in effect:
Anglers are restricted to the use of fly angling or bobber angling gears only;
Bobber angling gear must include a bobber and a leader no longer than 36 inches in length;
Any weight attached to the line (except the bobber) may be no more than 36 inches from the lowermost hook when suspended vertically;
The leader below the bobber must remain suspended in the water column and not residing on the river bottom; and
All other regulations as shown in the 2015 Oregon Sports Fishing Regulations remain in effect.

For more information contact your local ODFW office:

Clackamas (971) 673-6000
Corvallis (541) 757-4186
Springfield (541) 726-3515

M
mustardthetrout
Thanks for the information. I kept hearing different things from different people. Do you know if there are any restrictions on fishing in estuaries or bays?

X
xtramob
mustardthetrout said:
Thanks for the information. I kept hearing different things from different people. Do you know if there are any restrictions on fishing in estuaries or bays?
I'm trying to figure this out as well. Been fishing off the mouth of creeks, eagle creek most recently, that flow into the Columbia and wondered if the bays count as the stream or part of the Columbia River mainstem

S
Steelheader4Life
xtramob said:
I'm trying to figure this out as well. Been fishing off the mouth of creeks, eagle creek most recently, that flow into the Columbia and wondered if the bays count as the stream or part of the Columbia River mainstem

As I understand it all the bays, estuaries, and up to tidewater will remain open.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Steelheader4Life said:
As I understand it all the bays, estuaries, and up to tidewater will remain open.

problem is, if you check the updates for each zone, I only find that statement in the NW zone and it is this:

"All NW Zone tidewater areas – tidewater is defined as ‘stream or estuary waters affected by daily ebb and flow of tides (Page 7, 2015 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations) – will remain open for angling for these species during normal hours under 2015 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations."

Nothing like that is in the Columbia, Willamette, Central, or SW Zone updates.

all the Columbia update says is:
"NOTICE: The mainstem Columbia River and mainstem Snake River ARE NOT INCLUDED in recent actions to prohibit angling for trout, salmon, and steelhead in Oregon streams after 2 P.M. daily. At this time, angling in these areas remains open during normal hours as specified in the 2015 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations or as updated on this page."

so I think it all comes down to whether the mouths of the streams listed in the Columbia Zone are considered part of the Columbia mainstem or not...they seem to be falling in a gray area so far...cheers, roger

U
usmc79
this might be stupid question but is leaburg considered a lake "leaburg lake " or is that considered part Mckenzie river.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Guess there are two answers- in this case, it doesn't matter since the McKenzie river and tribs. are exempt from the new restrictions.

Big picture answer: in the special regs. for the Willamette Zone, that body of water above Leaburg Dam is listed under the MacKenzie river, so it is treated as part of the river and has special regs. , and also in the special regs. under Leaburg Lake it says 'see MacKenzie River'... cheers, roger

D
Denduran87
i have allot of family that are fighting ODFW for refunds on their Columbia river permits being that they are east of Bonneville. We'll see how they fare.

S
Snappleninja
Do you guys think ODFW made the right call shutting stuff down? I myself think they waited to long. I mean it sucks short term, but it's what is best if we want wild fish to catch.

D
DrTheopolis
Denduran87 said:
i have allot of family that are fighting ODFW for refunds on their Columbia river permits being that they are east of Bonneville. We'll see how they fare.

That doesn't even make sense.

Did someone from ODFW put a gun to their head and make them buy it?

D
Denduran87
It's a permit add on to their fishing licence for an area that has been shut down. I think it's a valid request. If i by baseball tickets and they cancel the game i expect my money back.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Denduran87 said:
It's a permit add on to their fishing licence for an area that has been shut down. I think it's a valid request. If i by baseball tickets and they cancel the game i expect my money back.

Only sturgeon is shut down, even C&R, in that area, correct?

D
Denduran87
"Effective Saturday, July 18, and until further notice, all waterbodies defined as streams in the 2015 Oregon Sportfishing Regulations are closed above tidewater (where applicable) to fishing for trout, salmon, steelhead and sturgeon from 2 p.m. to one hour before sunrise.

Angling for these species will be prohibited at all times in the Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls, including the Clackamas River up to the Interstate 205 Bridge, the Multnomah Channel and the Gilbert River. The following sections of the John Day River will also have complete closures: The mainstem of the John Day River above Indian Creek near Prairie City; the Middle Fork of the John Day River above Mosquito Creek near the town of Galena; the North Fork of the John Day River above Desolation Creek and Desolation Creek."

lots of their stomping grounds, i agree with their fight for the area they are in wether odfw will who knows as all refunds are a case by case basis.

C
coyo7e
Snappleninja said:
Do you guys think ODFW made the right call shutting stuff down? I myself think they waited to long. I mean it sucks short term, but it's what is best if we want wild fish to catch.
Yes. I'm unhappy however, I really do think they did the right thing. I've seen too many nice fish floating downstream with my own eyes, and a couple days ago I went fishing i the mckenzie by leaburg hatchery and farther downstream, and a the guy I went with ended up throwing a couple of 10-12 inchers back in, but after spending 10-15 seconds to get the hook out of the fish' mouth (none were gut hooked, all very clean to remove, but he lifted them out of the water to remove the hook :blushing: ) a couple of them obviously weren't going to right themselves and get going again. There were maybe 8-14 fish in the trap at the hatchery, total, and they were all huddled into one corner where the only piece of shade was to be had - they really should put some shade cloth or something up, there. :(
Denduran87 said:
Nobody canceled the ballgame, they gave notice that it was being rescheduled slightly, although still on the same day, and everything except for the pretzel shops will still be open the rest of the time anyway.

Maybe demand your tag money be refunded if it's still unused and you are somehow unable to fish on the only stream you can reach due to the changes, but not your fishing license LOL, and not if it just means that you need to go home after a late lunch. We've already had 7 and a half months to use that license and it's nobody's fault but one's own, if they haven't had a chance to go out until just now and now they're ONLY able to get out fishing after 2pm each and every day, not to mention it will get cooler in a month or three and you'll still need those licenses...

I mean who enjoys standing in the 100+ degree sun for 4 or 5 hours? I just about got heat exhaustion the other day because I didn't realize how long I was going to be on the river, and didn't get there until noon! I'd much rather get up before daybreak, and fish until lunch-time. ;)

Last edited: