Salmon River, Welches

M
Midgie Hater
Hi folks. Long time no post from me and apologies to anyone who PM'd me in the interim and didn't get a reply. I'll get on to it soon!

Anyway, last weekend I finally managed to get a chance to do what is my favourite kind of fishing: catch and release of wild trout on the Salmon River. We stayed at Green Canyon camp ground which gave me an opportunity to explore a bit. It was no great fish-fest, but I did pick up four or five nice if fairly small rainbows. They certainly give a good account of themselves on a 3# rod :)

So, apart from sharing the experience I have a couple of thoughts arising from this. More questions I suppose:

According to the guy at the Welches Fly Fishing store (who, I have to say was quite abrupt with me for some reason and didn't really seem to want to help or offer any kind of advice - apart from to almost shout the river regulations at me!) the river has wild rainbows, cutthroats and brook trout. It is of course strict C&R except for the brookies.

I'm fairly certain that most of the fish I hooked were rainbows. Either juvenile or perhaps fully mature but stunted fish given rivers like the Salmon are not the richest. I guess the bulk of their food comes from terrestrials. There was one however that slightly concerned me. It appeared to be a young rainbow but it did not have the distinctive pinkish hue. I'm wondering if in fact this might have been a Steelhead smolt. Obviously I'd want to avoid hooking them at all so they can resume their journey but in my experience Salmon parr and smolt can be very aggressive and competitive when it comes to food in trout rivers so in some ways it's inevitable that some will be hooked when fly fishing for trout. I expect the same is true for juvenile steelies?

Anyway, here's the photo:
Salmon River, Welches

Sorry, it's a bit small (the photo as well as the fish, although it was longer than it looks in the photo - maybe 9" max). As you can see it has no pinkish streak. This was the first fish I caught and it was different to all the others which were clearly rainbows. So a smolt? It certainly doesn't look like a brookie.

Finally: what kinds of tactics do folk here feel work best for trout on rivers such as the Salmon? For the record I was mainly drifting and swinging wets, with the odd nymph drift too. I had to laugh at the fact that this first fish took what to me is the most ubiquitous Scottish fly - a Back Pennell! I was being a bit impish in fishing with one but then again it's a spider pattern (with a pheasant tail tippet as I'm sure you all know) and spiders generally work well in these freestone kinds of rivers in my experience. Also, are there any especial techniques and flies which would work well for cutthroats? I've never fished for them. We don't have them in the UK, at least not wild.

Ok thanks all. tight lines :)

Les

Irishrover
Irishrover
Glad you had an enjoyable trip. I live not to far down the road from the Salmon and in days past have fished it a lot for steelhead. The Zig Zag, Still Creek, the Salmon, and the upper Sandy was an outstanding area for steelhead. It was closed to steelhead fishing a number of years ago to create a sanctuary or breeding ground for native fish. The Salmon is not a very good trout stream as you most likely found out that water is very cold and clear. It comes right off the snow and ice field of Mt Hood. You are right about the food supply. Most of the fish in that river are anadromous fish that use the area to spawn. The Clackamas drainage just over the hill offer better trout fishing. I could be wrong but I thing the elevation drop on the Sandy has something to do with it. The steep walls of the canyons on the Salmon also shelter it from a lot of direct sunlight so the water stay really cold. It's a lot further to go but I think the Deschutes is one of the finest trout fishing rivers you will ever find. There is an abundance of aquatic life for feed and the right kind of water. I find both streams to have their own kind of beauty and both are good on the fly. For flies on the Salmon I have only used steelhead flies so I'm not much help. On other river I use nymphs like hares ear, pheasant tail, and so on.

Last edited:
T
twout
I also live close to this area and no longer fish it. Yes, I believe that is a steelhead. I don't step foot inside that fly shop so can't really comment on his attitude. I do still enjoy walking the Salmon River trail through the old growth forest when I can. Glad you were able to enjoy this great area.

M
Modest_Man
My one experience with the Welche's fly shop led me to never set foot in there again. It involved an employee literally throwing my change at me because they had incorrectly priced some flies.

I've snorkeled the Salmon (which I prefer to the Zig Zag, brrrr) and there are some large trout in there. The larger resident trout I've seen have all been cutthroat. They're few and far between though, like one per mile. LOTS of mountain whitefish. Almost all of the juvenile Salmonids like you're catching are going to be steelhead or chinook with the occasional coho thrown in. I just leave them alone and personally don't fish it.

It's not the best photo for identifying juvenile Salmonids but I think it's a chinook.

Here's a couple bad screen grabs from some GoPro footage.

14" cutthroat
Untitled_zps44aron1f.jpg

Mountain Whitefish (hundreds)
Untitled1_zpsmsck9ehh.jpg

20ish chinook adults
Untitled3_zpsgmbnjl5p.jpg

Last edited:
S
sapo
Nice pictures modest man!!

I've heard the salmon has good trout fishing but idk..lol I've never been in the Welches fly shop but actually my friend went fishing with an employee there, apparently he was nice. How many guys work there? Cuz the one guy my friend and I know from there is nice.

M
Midgie Hater
Thanks for the responses folks.

Working backwards: Sapo, yes I'd heard that too. I suppose if, like me, it's not about the size of the fish then some fun could be had. On the other hand (and jumping back to the comments by Modest Man) it does seem inevitable that attempting to target trout in this river will result in catches of salmon and steelhead parr and smolt and I tend to agree it's best to let them make their journey with as little disturbance as possible. Having said this, not all but many many trout streams - some of them very notable of course - are also home to anadramous fish and their juveniles and so presumably when people are fishing these rivers they also will catch migratories from time-to-time without actually targeting them. Quite a conundrum for the trout fly fisher. Besides, I've had mature Atlantic Salmon take a size 14 goldhead pheasant tail nymph in what was my local trout stream back in Scotland so what can you do!

Those are fascinating photos indeed! I must admit that given the nature of the river I was curious about the sub-aquatic environment. It is, as people are saying, crystal-clear and there are numerous rock features at and below the surface (depending on the water level). Underwater "canyons", overhangs, isolated pools cut off from decent drifts by fast rapids which whip the fly line away and distant lies under the trees which again are difficult to cast at effectively. I did wade a little but tbh I found it a little unnerving given how fast the water is in places, how smooth the rock is and the very uneven nature of the bottom - from mere inches to several feet in one small step!

I was also unaware that there were mountain whitefish in here. I saw no reference to that. I assume they're protected too?

Yes, I read that the river was closed to fishing for migratory fish some years ago. Good idea, although I'm sure some people will rue the fact.

IrishRover: you mention the Clackamas and it's tribs and feeders and that is in fact my next thought. I'm hoping to get a weekend around my birthday in the first week of July. Not the best time for trout fishing but then again perhaps a shadier, more oxygenated feeder of the Clack might be a good option. In fact there are so many options I'm going to spend some significant time mulling them over - with any suggestiosn gratefully accepted. Sadly we can't drive too far at the moment as my wife's '95 Corolla isn't keeping too well. That rules out the Deschutes at the moment but I'll get there some time!

Speaking of flies, as I mentioned, the photographed fish took a Black Pennell. The others varied between size 14 and 16 Copper Johns and one very hackly (my word) sedge-type fly on a dropper which two of the rainbows (I'm 99% certain now that they were) opted for. Like you I'd favour nymphs, maybe some spiders and perhaps a nice dibbler fly on a dropper (you can take the man oot of Scotland... ;) )

So, I suppose what comes out of all this is that I would do well to find another trout stream which is reasonably accessible to - Troutdale :D

Oh and finally, regarding the fly shop: some interesting views here! I was a bit surprised as I'd expected everyone to sing its praises or at least regard it as a decent source of local fly fishing supplies and knowledge. Seems my experience was not unique. Sapo, the guy in question was maybe middle-aged. The other guy in the store who was sorting out a license for a guy from Montana I can't speak of as we didn't deal with him although he did greet us as we were entering the store so maybe this is the chap your friend went fishing with?

Ok, thanks again all. Some food for thought here.

Les

M
Modest_Man
Whitefish are classified as a gamefish just like trout, salmon, and steelhead. Exact same regulations apply. Nymph the deeper riffles and you'll find them.

M
Midgie Hater
Thanks for the clarification. I was about to look it up but you saved me the bother of rifling through the regs.

Still, it does seem that there are many and better options for my fever- like moving to Central Oregon! Actually that would be too hot and dry for me in the Summer and my wife would refuse for the same reason even though I happen to know her employer is constantly looking for staff in Madras!

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Modest_Man said:
My one experience with the Welche's fly shop led me to never set foot in there again. It involved an employee literally throwing my change at me because they had incorrectly priced some flies.

I've snorkeled the Salmon (which I prefer to the Zig Zag, brrrr) and there are some large trout in there. The larger resident trout I've seen have all been cutthroat. They're few and far between though, like one per mile. LOTS of mountain whitefish. Almost all of the juvenile Salmonids like you're catching are going to be steelhead or chinook with the occasional coho thrown in. I just leave them alone and personally don't fish it.

It's not the best photo for identifying juvenile Salmonids but I think it's a chinook.

Here's a couple bad screen grabs from some GoPro footage.
What area of the Salmon did you snorkel? I was at the Wildwood Recreation area and I didn’t see much deep water.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Try marabou hair #12 dropper or a San Juan worm Tony

Last edited: