Salmon feeding habits in freshwater and ideas

D
Drew9870
So up until the past few days plunking on the Santiam, I have always been a firm believer that Salmon do not feed while in freshwater (unless annoyed of course), but while gaining advice from the fellow locals and watching them fish and land Chinooks, it becomes apparent that about 1/10-1/15 Salmon will readily accept a wide variety of presentations in the river, having seen them caught on Prawns, Eggs, and Herring, I am thinking the possibilities of baits are almost endless as with Carp fishing (let's not get this off subject with worthless remarks). Having heard a lot about Tuna balls, I am thinking about getting into making bait for Salmon as I do for Carp, I personally know that certain Amino Acids such as Betaine can induce feeding in fish, of course, not every fish can be triggered into feeding, maybe 1/10. So if I balance out the amount of Aminos and Proteins, I'm pretty certain I can make a bait that will fish just as well as Eggs and Herring while not having any possibility of unhealthy cures/additives, I'm honestly thinking a Boilie shaped appropriatly to go in an egg loop or even hair rig it on an extremely sharp hook.

I would first start with ingredients that are known to get hit, I would add lightly cured, mashed eggs, tuna, and ground Herring to the first batch and wean off to more organic ingredients once I feel I have a better understanding of what compounds induce them to strike. I would also experiment with doughs of certain consistency in order to control the rate of how they break down, cloud up, and disperse scent.

I do think the Boilie and dough idea are kinda funny, but if they don't work, I can always just mix baits in spawn sack to get a good mix of Aminos and Proteins in the water.

No negative comments plz, I'm just thinking way outside the box, it is as much of a pleasure catching fish on homemade bait as it is a hand tied fly or hand wrapped rod, so getting on my case regarding the fact that ''everyone would be doing it if it worked'' won't stop me from pursuing my goal.

Feel free to provide info or ideas, I really just need to find out the key compounds that trigger the Salmon to feed again in freshwater, I understand it is possible some of them didn't get enough energy before leaving sea, and eggs from what I understand are attacked as a result of the fish only wanting their genetics to live on, but we all have our own opinion on why Salmon feed in freshwater and what they actually do and don't eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunga
Gunga
I say go for it and tell us what you find out! And hey if it works really well you could start selling salmon boilies! Now thats an idea.

M
Moe
It sounds like it would work, since your are getting the bait right down to every detail. But for me, I would just grab some prawns and hit the water.....

R
RunWithSasquatch
Its my experience that salmon actively bite in fresh water, and it doesn't require anything special to get them to do it. They dont all bite for the same reason, but most don't resist a fresh "common" bait. I think they're way more reactive to scent then lures

R
RunWithSasquatch
Theres a really good article in Salmon & Steelhead Journal that they gave there opinions on why salmon bite that I think you'd like to read, Ill see if I can get the volume number.

M
Mad dog
Moe said:
It sounds like it would work, since your are getting the bait right down to every detail. But for me, I would just grab some prawns and hit the water.....

Yep!!! ;)

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its my experience that salmon actively bite in fresh water, and it doesn't require anything special to get them to do it. They dont all bite for the same reason, but most don't resist a fresh "common" bait. I think they're way more reactive to scent then lures

Aggression or instinct would probably be the 2 main reason salmon bite in fresh water. Certain scents are worth their weight in gold when it comes to chinook fishing! I believe there are thing you can do to get salmon to bite....we back'em down to the tailout with the baits or the boat all the time! If they get kegged up at the bottom of the hole and begin rolling and getting agitated they will strike out of aggression, pluggers and guys backbouncing bait do it all the time! Pissed off salmon bite well!