Salmon and corkies?

T
THE JEFF
Size 4 hooks are pretty small for the salmon around here. I use 1/0 for coho, and bigger for chinook. I doubt you want to loose a fish you have worked so hard for because of the wrong hook.

K
Kodiak
TB....I personally find that for Coho in the Clack and Sandy a #1 owner needle point is plenty of hook, and corkies are just a little too much when the pressure turns on. Small clusters of eggs...5-10 small premie berries with some subdued colored yarn (black,brown,olive, etc.) produces coho far better with just a few split shot to keep you just off the bottom....nasty trick Osmosis taught me. Remember, fish look up, it is far better to be over the top of them than under them on the bottom.

F
Fishtopher
Guys, about the needle points, Ive recently been usin em instead of the ol Gamakatsu's. And I been foul hookin rocks like crazy. Nothen new there. But my hooks have been bending out! Usin' 12 main and 10 leader. Do yall find that to be the norm?
Now if I remember right, I never had problem with the cutting points. Worked great.

M
Mike123
Fishtopher said:
Guys, about the needle points, Ive recently been usin em instead of the ol Gamakatsu's. And I been foul hookin rocks like crazy. Nothen new there. But my hooks have been bending out! Usin' 12 main and 10 leader. Do yall find that to be the norm?
Now if I remember right, I never had problem with the cutting points. Worked great.

Needle points hollow out the penetration point in the fish... I've started using Vision's for steelhead and haven't lost a fish on them yet. They don't bend at all, IMO, but they break before bending.. Takes a LOT to break one though.

F
Fishtopher
Its starting to worry me, Im using 1's, and outta probably 15 hooks so far, ive bent out 5 on rocks and other bottom crud. Bending that hook, before breaking 10lb test is freakin me out. And I have like 40 of em tied up ready to fish.:( I really need a reason not to re tie them all!:pray:

Never had problems with the ol' 'katsu octopus hooks, just the dump that I was at didn't have 'em:rolleyes:.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Do Size 4 Hooks work for Salmon? Coho.

If your line needs to go through the lead while drift fishing, yer doing something wrong. You should have no slack! :D

Anybody here ever tried "gliding"? Basically casting a drift rig with no lead on it, just the weight of your swivel, hook, and bait. Maybe a tiny tiny bit of lead just to get it sinking. That way it's more natural

F
Fishtopher
Kev, thats what ive always called "dead drifting". Never heard of such a glider. Intersting. Who knows. Mr Ikea used to call drifting; side drifting, Im pretty sure until Osmosis said you can't side drift if you aint in a boat!:lol:

So maybe me "dead drifting" has nothing to do with whats goin' on with that little peice of bait down there!

F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher said:
Kev, thats what ive always called "dead drifting". Never heard of such a glider. Intersting. Who knows. Mr Ikea used to call drifting; side drifting, Im pretty sure until Osmosis said you can't side drift if you aint in a boat!:lol:

So maybe me "dead drifting" has nothing to do with whats goin' on with that little peice of bait down there!

My "book" calls it gliding... I want to try it, because the author said he was surprised by the result, especially in highly pressured water.

If you pretend the bank is your very long stationary boat, you can cast out to where your "side drifting" cast would be, and walk down like the boat would flow. Same thing, but he calls it a simple extended drift...