Rowing and river advice?

M
mattman32
Hi guys, I'm thinking of purchasing a 10 foot steelhead express pontoon boat. I have a smaller water skeeter I have used in lakes quite a bit. I am moving up in boats because I would like to start running the rivers for steelhead. I have never rowed in moving water before but have studied it quite a bit. I just need to get hands on. I live in Florence and am wondering if anyone can turn me on to a few simple drifts in my area. Not looking for fishing spots. Just some easy water to learn how to use my pontoon boat. I hear Whittaker to wild cat? But I also hear its full of boats. Any place I can go where there arnt a whole lot of guys? Thanks for any info

jamisonace
jamisonace
Put in at Whitaker and get a feel for rowing in the current. Row up the soft water to the ramp and pull out there too. The water is the most soft on the highway side and you can easily row back up to the bridge. When you feel comfortable float down to wildcat. Go in the afternoon on a weekday and there won't be boats in that soft stretch in front of the Whitaker ramp.

O
OnTheFly
I don't know of any water in your area but here's a few tips on maneuvering:
For the most part, look for and stay in the main flow of the water. Sometimes it can be a narrow strip in between back eddies.

Use back eddies to your advantage. Use them to stop you, and actually to float 'up' stream. Also use them to get to and anchor to shore. Don't try and anchor to the bank in fast water. When leaving a back eddy and, getting back into a sometimes fast current, merge into it like getting onto a freeway. Rowing into it at 90 degrees causes the boat to lean down on the up stream side and could be unsafe especially in a drift boat.

Usually, a 'V' or 'tongue' shape on the water will be apparent at the top of a set of riffles or rapids. Go straight through this and maintain your position as this is the main current and will send you down quickly without much unstable water pushing you around.

When the river makes a turn close to shore next to trees or rip rap, do not go straight down otherwise you could get raked by branches or scrape your boat on the rocks. Instead, go through it sideways with your back towards the middle of the river then row away from shore as much as needed to avoid the rocks or over hanging trees.

Positioning yourself on the water to avoid obstacles, getting to back eddies, or entering rapids is done by swinging the boat left or right and rowing across the water then straightening out. This should become second nature like changing lanes while driving. You will be doing this the most during your float.

Sorry if I'm over simplifying or telling you stuff you already know, but I thought I would share some of the basics in case you didn't. Oh yeah..use a PFD.

Jim

Reactions: waco
R
RoryONeal
Thanks for making this thread. I was actually going to make one myself since I am a new drift boater. I bought mine in July of 2011 and have only been on one river float so far. I mostly take it out to the big water near Mapleton and out to coastal lakes. I also frequent places that don't allow motors. My problem is that I lack confidence due to a lack of know how, and I am not sure how I can bust my cherry, so to speak. I'd love to bring someone along in my drifter who could help me with some basics and teach me how to read the river. The one float I did was from the Junction City area down to Harrisburg.

jamisonace
jamisonace
This is a really cool video but you might want to take my advice before you take waco's....:)

This reminds me, I really want to video the drop at the hatchery on the Elk River from downstream. I was always nervous about doing it and looked for videos online but no one has posted. Next time I'm going to have my wife hike from below and video me going through it so I can post it. Last time I did it, I got my oar stuck for just a second in a rock and about crapped myself thinking I was going to push myself sideways into the big waves at the bottom.

waco said:

jamisonace
jamisonace
If you're in Eugene.....go to the ramp at D Street and row up to the rapids and work your way back to the ramp. My 8 yr old does this to practice in his little pram. Do it when the water level is below 11 and you can row up with no problems.

If you want me to join you from Island Park to D Street I'd be happy to. That way we can work around some structure, down through the rapids and to the ramp. Wouldn't take more than 15 minutes to just float but I'm sure I could get you dialed in in less than an hour.

Mattman, this would be a great float for you too if you can make it to Springfield.

RoryONeal said:
Thanks for making this thread. I was actually going to make one myself since I am a new drift boater. I bought mine in July of 2011 and have only been on one river float so far. I mostly take it out to the big water near Mapleton and out to coastal lakes. I also frequent places that don't allow motors. My problem is that I lack confidence due to a lack of know how, and I am not sure how I can bust my cherry, so to speak. I'd love to bring someone along in my drifter who could help me with some basics and teach me how to read the river. The one float I did was from the Junction City area down to Harrisburg.

Reactions: OnTheDrop
M
mattman32
Thanks for the info guys. This is the kind of info I was hoping for. I'm going to try Whitaker to wild cat as well as d street. I grew up in Springfield and can go while the wife is hanging out in town with mom. So the next question is about river ettiquett. How do you share the river with other boats and bank fisherman. How to pass anchored and bank fisherman without disturbing their hole. And when it is ok or not to do so. Thanks again.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Look where anchored boats or bankies are fishing and try to pass over water they are not fishing. This might mean passing right next to their boat or right on the bank or it could mean going to the other side of the river. It's just a common sense thing. And know that at some point, someone is going to feel like your rowing through their water.....but most people appreciate and recognize an effort to stay off their water.

Most important when passing...say hello and chat people up...you'll get a good river reputation quickly that way. Not to mention get some good advice now and then.

mattman32 said:
Thanks for the info guys. This is the kind of info I was hoping for. I'm going to try Whitaker to wild cat as well as d street. I grew up in Springfield and can go while the wife is hanging out in town with mom. So the next question is about river ettiquett. How do you share the river with other boats and bank fisherman. How to pass anchored and bank fisherman without disturbing their hole. And when it is ok or not to do so. Thanks again.

T
Throbbit _Shane
mattman32 said:
Hi guys, I'm thinking of purchasing a 10 foot steelhead express pontoon boat. I have a smaller water skeeter I have used in lakes quite a bit. I am moving up in boats because I would like to start running the rivers for steelhead. I have never rowed in moving water before but have studied it quite a bit. I just need to get hands on. I live in Florence and am wondering if anyone can turn me on to a few simple drifts in my area. Not looking for fishing spots. Just some easy water to learn how to use my pontoon boat. I hear Whittaker to wild cat? But I also hear its full of boats. Any place I can go where there arnt a whole lot of guys? Thanks for any info

There's a few of us around the Eugene area that float the rivers in pontoons. You can come along some time if you like. In fact a couple of them went yesterday on the slaw. I was supposed to go but a pre inspection of my toon showed some welds that were busted. Got it repaired today though.

R
RoryONeal
jamisonace said:
If you're in Eugene.....go to the ramp at D Street and row up to the rapids and work your way back to the ramp. My 8 yr old does this to practice in his little pram. Do it when the water level is below 11 and you can row up with no problems.

If you want me to join you from Island Park to D Street I'd be happy to. That way we can work around some structure, down through the rapids and to the ramp. Wouldn't take more than 15 minutes to just float but I'm sure I could get you dialed in in less than an hour.

Mattman, this would be a great float for you too if you can make it to Springfield.

Thanks. I'd love to get together and have you help me out. I'm doing some volunteer work with an OSP Fish and Wildlife trooper on Saturday up at Whittaker Creek but I will take you up on that offer possibly next weekend. I'll PM you.

T
todd_brooks
Throbbit _Shane said:
There's a few of us around the Eugene area that float the rivers in pontoons. You can come along some time if you like. In fact a couple of them went yesterday on the slaw. I was supposed to go but a pre inspection of my toon showed some welds that were busted. Got it repaired today though.

Sounds like that thread about one busting apart might have saved your butt.?

O.P getting out and getting your feet wet is the best way to learn. Having some others along is the way to do it at first two. Jamisonace is right on with his advise and is also right about the fact that some will think your doing it wrong no matter what you do. It just comes with the grumpy ****ers I guess. Sometimes its hard to know where/how to pass around folks in those cases I ask them where's best for me to pass in those cases. Beware of your down stream oar if you get sideways as you don't want it to dig in and either hit you in the face or flip ya. And always remember to point your nose at obstacles you want to avoid and pull away from them. Well almost always, rules were meant to be broken at some point.