Roseburg bass fishing

S
Steelhead addict
Does anybody know if the bass fishing is any good on the South Umpqua? I will be staying in Roseburg for two days this weekend and will try to sneak out in the early mornings if the fishing is good. I am trying not to venture too far from Roseburg. I will be shore bound on this trip. Any suggestions on locations, lures.... will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
the_intimidator03
Personally I am not a huge fan of the "bass" fishing on the umpqua system. they are there. Gaddis park, stewart park are a couple places in town to get you access. If you feel like a short 20 min drive or so is Cooper Creek Res and Plat I east of Sutherlin.

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's been fun. I've been working in RSB and fishing in the heat of the afternoon. That always seems to be the best time. The fishing has been getting better as the water temp warms up. I've been throwing spinners....black or white seem to work best but if I'd remember to bring my fly rod, leeches are always the very best.

I fish off of Old Melrose Rd because my parents live there. There is a lot of private property on that road but there are a couple access points that are public.....not marked in anyway except one has barbed wire that is obvious people go though and some sort of utility building surround by chainlink across the road. It's between Long Meadow and Braunda.

It's worth trying. I've been taking my boys and they've been getting into some pretty good fish.

S
Steelhead addict
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I ended up fishing along highway 99 close to Roseburg. I also fished Stewart Park and did pretty good. Nothing too big, but a lot of small smallmouth. They seemed to hit anything that I threw at them. The river was a lot more shallow than I expected and that really limited what I could use. But, it was fun and I caught fish.

H
Hawk
Thar are some holes in the river. You need to explore the area.It takes some time :)

Best of Luck...