Rod storage vertical or horizontal ?

P
pinstriper
I have 15 feet of wallspace carved out for rod storage, wondering if there is a reason to go with vertical racks or horizontal.

Discuss.

my2labs
my2labs
Horizontal... up off the ground.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I only have ceiling space available, horizontal it is.

my2labs
my2labs
I also store my rods on the ceiling.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Depends on the rod type and if it has reel a on it and how long to be in storage. I store all my rods hung vertical. Less chance of rod set. Tony

00Swede
00Swede
Don't waste the garage door space.

Rod storage vertical or horizontal ?

Reactions: C_Run, playhooky, fromthelogo and 1 other person
P
pinstriper
00Swede said:
Don't waste the garage door space.

Yeah, nah. No garage door. I am remodeling my shop into a hunting, fishing, camping mancave for when this is all over and I get to missing the glory days of social isolation.

Mrs. P doesn’t even know I am doing it.

Reactions: 00Swede
P
pinstriper
Casting Call said:
Depends on the rod type and if it has reel a on it and how long to be in storage. I store all my rods hung vertical. Less chance of rod set. Tony

All my rods have reels on them so as they are ready to grab and go.

Chromatose
Chromatose
I store all my fishing rods ( 15` to 5` ) Vertical & without reels. I know space can be limited and valuable. For those who do store rods Horizontal for long periods of time, turn them from time to time to keep the spine true. That is if your storing the whole rod. If the rod is halved then there is very little chance for the spine to have any real problems.

Reactions: Casting Call
P
pinstriper
Chromatose said:
I store all my fishing rods ( 15` to 5` ) Vertical & without reels. I know space can be limited and valuable. For those who do store rods Horizontal for long periods of time, turn them from time to time to keep the spine true. That is if your storing the whole rod. If the rod is halved then there is very little chance for the spine to have any real problems.

Good point. All my two piece rods will be broken down because that is how they will travel.

I have two 8’ sections of wall to play with.

Chromatose
Chromatose
From the sounds of it pinstriper your rods dont sit long as apposed to my situation. Not that you will, but I have seen others that will hang their poles from the guides. IMO that is a big no no. Epoxy is not meant to withstand that kind of duress, nor are guides. Also to take in consideration is how flexible or how nimble the parabolic bend is. Those types of rods need quite a bit of support as apposed to a meat stick. Rod storage is a great conversation and is over looked in many cases. Good topic!

00Swede
00Swede
pinstriper said:
Yeah, nah. No garage door. I am remodeling my shop into a hunting, fishing, camping mancave for when this is all over and I get to missing the glory days of social isolation.

Mrs. P doesn’t even know I am doing it.
That'll be a great space. When you can't get out it's awesome to have a place to play with your toys.
I also have some overhead storage you can see a bit of in this video.

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Run
my2labs
my2labs
Man. That is a bad ass space. If you don’t have a very old, delicious whiskey and a bunch of great beers to drink in there, you’re really fn up.

I am very jealous....

P
pinstriper
Reactions: 00Swede
P
pinstriper
And ya that is an awesome place. I was planning on a small fridge what I have, but maybe a larger one makes more sense.

I decided to remove the old wood stove and not replace, since a space that big will take an hour or two to get comfortable. Since my use case is to go down for an hour or maybe two after work, it would never be comfortable in time.

So I went with a combination air conditioner/heater.

C_Run
C_Run
Maybe we should have a man cave/gear shed thread with pictures. I'd have to straighten mine up first as it is kind of a disgrace right now.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Awesome space swede!

Mark, I'm looking forward to a man cave party.

I try to keep the horizontal support near the reel and have the othe about 2/3 way down the rod. Some of these don't setups are used by guests and my adult kids only, should I just remove the reels and breakdown the rods?

P
pinstriper
Hooked Up said:
Awesome space swede!

Mark, I'm looking forward to a man cave party.

I try to keep the horizontal support near the reel and have the othe about 2/3 way down the rod. Some of these don't setups are used by guests and my adult kids only, should I just remove the reels and breakdown the rods?

Prolly a good idea for rods you know you aren’t going to use unless something is really planned.

I like to have a few rods set up and ready to fish particular ways ahead of time, and leave them that way. So if I am heading out I can grab two rods that are set up for kokannee/trout trolling, plus a rod for throwing spinners and spoons for instance. But all the extras could be broken down yeah.

I will have some camp chairs and a burn barrel for campfires down there, plus a small fridge for beer and whiskey. A manfire with a few stogies must certainly take place.

Casting Call
Casting Call
pinstriper said:
Ok, vertical it is.
wise choice. now put wheels on them. Tony

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Makes sense to break them down.

Looking forward to the manfire.