Steelhead rods

SwimbaitOR

SwimbaitOR

I recently moved back to Oregon and am looking for a couple steelhead rods. i am mostly going to fish smaller costal waters no bigger than the wilson, but very occasionally bigger rivers. looking for one drift and one float rod. i prefer a longer 15-17" handle measured from the back of the reel seat to the butt. was looking at the 9'8"imx drift rods, but am also interested in other options. I have a bantam 150, scorpion xt 1500, and daiwa z2020 i could use as a reel. Not sure if any of those are suitable for drift fishing, its not a technique i used a lot. lol. for the float rod I was thinking the imx float with a 2500 size vanford. Any other rod/reels out there for a similar price with similar specs.

Thanks, Matt

Grant22

Grant22

I recently got an Okuma guide select pro and defiantly will be getting more to add to the arsenal they have a 9'2" 8-17 which is about perfect for drift fishing and they have a 9'9" 6-12 for floats and bobber doggin and that sort of stuff. They have woven carbon fiber handles and run about 150-175 although its not uncommon to be able to get them on sale for 130-140. If you really want something in that imx price range a few other options that i have heard great things about would be the Okuma x series rods (a little cheaper) and the lamiglass infinity (also a little cheaper). The imx is outstanding however and performs very well from the very limited experience I have with them. I would go to your local tackle store and toy around with some of the different options and see what feels best in your hand and what is comfortable.

SwimbaitOR

SwimbaitOR

ill check those out when i get a chance. rods look pretty good for the price

C

Chrisd1990

I catch roughly 100 adult salmonids a year bank fishing and for spinning rods I use shimano Scimitar 10'6". I catch steelhead and salmon all year round on them with no complaints. They are $50 rods and sometimes on sale for as little as $20. I own more expensive rods and prefer the shimano. I recommend a 4000 series reel though, I use a 50lb braid and the bigger spool is helpful. Penn pursuit reels are my recommendation. They also run about $50-60.

Attachments

• 20210222_102912.jpg
    20210222_102912.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 42
Grant22

Grant22

I catch roughly 100 adult salmonids a year bank fishing and for spinning rods I use shimano Scimitar 10'6". I catch steelhead and salmon all year round on them with no complaints. They are $50 rods and sometimes on sale for as little as $20. I own more expensive rods and prefer the shimano. I recommend a 4000 series reel though, I use a 50lb braid and the bigger spool is helpful. Penn pursuit reels are my recommendation. They also run about $50-60.
Those schimitar rods are actually surprisingly good. I bought one at the sportsman’s show for around 20 or 30 dollars cause I was curious and really don’t have any complaints. It handles fish well just not a huge fan of the plastic butt cap but that’s just an aesthetic and doesn’t affect the rod itself.

Top Bottom