riverside... this weekend

A
ArcticAmoeba
Dan, Frog 'giggin the Tualatin is hot! I am usiung small spinners, and white, 1/32 oz. grubs. The Frogs that come out of the neighborhood puddle are actually very tasty though. I have taken two and cooked up the legs. Fantastic to say the least... And how is it, frogs are able to throw the hooks so well? Crafty little buggers!

F
FishFinger
Ok for the record we was usin' single barbless, I'm confident barbed trebs would have pinned its mug shut.

I was just dinkin' with em for pure entertainment.

But now it's game on.. or rather FROG ON.....

I'd eat frog legs.....I would!

A
ArcticAmoeba
My friends Dad cooked up the Legos for us, and they really were good eating! Frog giggin's a kick right in yer pants!

M
metalmania
ArcticAmoeba said:
My friends Dad cooked up the Legos for us, and they really were good eating! Frog giggin's a kick right in yer pants!

They are pretty good eatin, although they always seem kinda greasy, but with lemon and butter they taste great. I used to shoot them by the dozens and fry them up.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Dan, Frog 'giggin the Tualatin is hot! I am usiung small spinners, and white, 1/32 oz. grubs. The Frogs that come out of the neighborhood puddle are actually very tasty though. I have taken two and cooked up the legs. Fantastic to say the least... And how is it, frogs are able to throw the hooks so well? Crafty little buggers!

You eat frogs out the tualatin? :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes. I have. Their digestive processsing and hormone/chemical distribution method is far different from that of a fish. You should still heed the warnings, and only eat as much as recommended by the State, but it takes a lot of Frog legs to get a few ounces of eatible meat.

P
PDXKush
Got Skunked @ Blair Witch from 130pm till 4:30 pm. Was a beautiful day though.

F
FishFinger
Say it ain't so..... lol. Totally understandable as the river is running 14.25 @6050 cfs.

Speaking of Blair witch. Forever it's been known as Ericson's drift but, after the flood, it was craziness trying to get back there as well as getting out.

A rather nice human game trail has been punched out so the trek isn't as foreboding as it was after the high water event.

In an effort to keep the new name in tact i have begun a mission, to create those creepy Blair witch figures and hang them from the trees just off the trail.

This is my first one....lol

I fabricated it from debris left after a local SOLVE clean up along the Willy, while I was fishing w/ fishtopher and his buddy at the 'Gettin spot"

Only OFFers will know the true source of the stick figures and for the rest it's the stuff of legends.........

But, where are it's arms you might ask? Exactly... Where are they! :think:

N
ninja2010
nice one, ff :lol::lol::lol:... when was this put up??

M
madoc
Ever feel like a well equipped idiot? Well, that was me this evening. Found riverside park, and I think I found the Blair witch hole - satellite imagery available through the phone is pretty helpful, at least getting you to the hole.

So there I am. about 6pm. I've got salmon eggs (yes, store bought, can't cure eggs from fish you have yet to catch). I've got yarn of contrasting colors. I've got corkies. I've got spinners, wobblers, jigs, and plain old hooks. In my badass $500 patagonia waders, with all of my other kit. I am ready. Heck, I can even see fish breaking the surface of the hole - looked like they were going after the fly hatch.

So I rig up a bobber drift. 1 ounce of weight, salmon eggs set to drift about 30 inches below the bobber. I cast close to the edge of the pool, right where the water seams and swirls into the pool. I let the water take my eggs all the way around the pool before reeling in. five, maybe six more casts at about 10 feet from the shoreline. and then out a little further, and a little further, until I cam casting to the middle of the pool. I keep seeing a fish of indeterminate size breaking the surface, always on the other side of the pool from where my bobber is.

Maybe the don't want eggs. the water is pretty murky. Milky green. So I switch over to a sherbet combo of yarn (Orange, neon yellow and pink). No dice. Getting a little late, so I start heading back. Casting along the bank as I go, but of course, my bobber is set too deep. Starting to get frustrated. Switch over to a #3 Vibrax. snag on the first cast in an area right at the bend. Manage to get it out and nearly take my eye out with the backlash. Now it is starting to get really fun. End up flubbing my next cast and casting it onto the bank, into a bunch of bushes. line tangles around the bushes, spinner gets stuck under a rock. get it untangled, get is cast out into the current. It sinks and snags. I get it out and decide to boot scoot.

I get back over the trees to the little beach, right below the cement break waters. Load up my bobber combo and eggs. Cast just below the obstruction, about 20 feet from bank, and let it drift back towards me along the bank. 15 casts later I move my cast out a little further. 15 more I walk down the bank about 10 yards. and repeat. And decide to call it quits.

That pretty much sums up every single experience I have had thus far targeting steelhead.

Maybe next time.

J
just1nook
MAdoc, Yes, trying to catch these fish is a game of frustration and patience. Most of us feel your pain. Keep trying.
The water you were looking for is the long riffle upstream from that pool.

Last edited:
M
madoc
just1nook said:
MAdoc, Yes, trying to catch these fish is a game of frustration and patience. Most of us feel your pain. Keep trying.
The water you were looking for is the long riffle upstream fom that pool.

Cool, good to know where that section is. I know, it is just a matter of time. I'm just hoping sooner than later. I really want to get to the point where I have to get a hatchery tag.

O
Oregonchris
I am learning not to miss any of your post's. You could write this down and sell it for money. Thanks-Chris

P
PDXKush
DAN !! If I would have seen that figure in the woods while walking back I would have crapped myself bro. Too scary !! I must say I love it though. I will put up something strange on the quest through the chaos each time I trek it. Hopefully bye the end of the summer every kid in Clackamas will say that place is Haunted.

Also what would be a satisfactory water level/depth on the Clack and CFS? Thanks bud.

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
ninja2010 said:
nice one, ff :lol::lol::lol:... when was this put up??

Haven't hung it yet, it will mark the beginning of the Blair witch run, just up from the plunkin spot near the water softner. I'm going to stick it and its friends as high in the trees as I can get em.

Madoc, with the water so high it's rough to really work the river up there. SO much of the bank is under flowing water. The cottonwood saplings as waters edge make it really hard to fish.

The same proble exists at cross park when the water is high. Being that we are limited to public property access sometime the overall conditions just arn't conducive to catching, however as the water drops more and more open up.

At perhaps 12' then on down to summer levels are the best flows to really have a good crack at something from that strech of bank.

F
Fishtopher
FishFinger said:
I fabricated it from debris left after a local SOLVE clean up along the Willy, while I was fishing w/ fishtopher and his buddy at the 'Gettin spot"

Only OFFers will know the true source of the stick figures and for the rest it's the stuff of legends.........

Uhh, we changed the name of that spot. Its not the "Gettin' Spot" anymore. Now it has a crude, rated X name. I wouldnt even post the name on...nevermind.

I was thinkin' about goin' down there and gettin' more materials to make a few more, but I think it might be bad ju-ju to take anymore from there....