Riverside Park the past week

P
PTownAngler
So i've fished Riverside Park 4 times in the past 8 days. First few days I fished just left of the boat ramp. Got a few nibbles, couldn't hook anything. Then went up river about 300 yards to the bend that goes to the left if your walking towards it, past the big concrete blocks out in the water. There is fast water around the bend then a perfect little really deep very slow moving pool right after that I've heard holds tons of trout. Few nibbles there as well but couldn't hook a damn thing. I am pretty much as green as it gets, I've been fishing once when I was 8, once when I was 12 and then the 4 times I went this week. I really need some tips on how to catch fish lol. I got some tips on what rig/bait to use, I've been using a #3 all chrome Blue Fox mostly or Pink powerbait worms. Sometimes with a bobber and weight and floating powerbait, floating the bait about a foot to foot and a half off the bottom of the river with a weight dragging on the bottom, i.e drift fishing. Anybody have any tips? Or is there anyone that frequents Riverside Park that would want to meet up there for a nice day of teaching a rookie how to catch fish lol? Or anywhere close to Portland for that matter, like the sandy, columbia, willamette or anywhere on mt. hood. Let me know guys. My name is Mitch, I'm 24 years old. Love sports, I was a 4 sport varsity athlete/4 year honor roll student in high school, woodshop, metals and science were my favorite classes, I have a full time job and like to think of myself as very easygoing and calm person. Oh and I very much enjoy fine cigars and/or my tobacco pipe while I fish. Thanks!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Mitch welcome to OFF! Thank you for the bio info. I wish more people would leave some sort of bio of themself. It sure would help responders. I'll explain later. Mean while lets see if someone wants to help with ur request. CC

C_Run
C_Run
Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. I don't know about your area but spinners work for me. If you are after trout, you might even use the smaller sizes and get a few different colors (like black) and then mix it up.

When I am out and trying something new, I always try to observe what other folks are doing, i.e. take note of their terminal gear and what they are doing whether or not they want to chit chat. Then there are books and I've got a bunch. Check out the selection at your sporting goods store because most subjects are covered pretty well and will have various rigging options illustrated. Then go out and execute.

Keep checking in and tell us how you do.

C

P
PTownAngler
Well, I just fished Riverside Park for another 3 hours this morning, from 6am to 9am. I think I got a few strikes but couldn't hook a damn thing. I started off with a all Chrome Blue Fox number 3 then a pink and blue Blue Fox number 3, then a chrome and gold number 4, then drifted a pink 4 inch PowerBait trout worm, then I tried a couple crappie jigs. I talked to two guys there they both said try a bigger spinner and use some scent. Which I have none but i'm going to get some today. One guy I talked to said it might be a little early because the warm weather and no rain. He said maybe in a few more days they'll be biting more. Oh and I'm fishing for Trout.

D
dozer365
PTownAngler said:
Well, I just fished Riverside Park for another 3 hours this morning, from 6am to 9am. I think I got a few strikes but couldn't hook a damn thing. I started off with a all Chrome Blue Fox number 3 then a pink and blue Blue Fox number 3, then a chrome and gold number 4, then drifted a pink 4 inch PowerBait trout worm, then I tried a couple crappie jigs. I talked to two guys there they both said try a bigger spinner and use some scent. Which I have none but i'm going to get some today. One guy I talked to said it might be a little early because the warm weather and no rain. He said maybe in a few more days they'll be biting more. Oh and I'm fishing for Trout.

Try real worms. Night crawler Either under a bobber or drift with a small corky above the hook. I like to peg a corky on there so the trout/smolt won't swallow or gill the hook as often. Also run a size 4 or 6 bait hook and ur bites will start to stick. The spinners u have are for steel/salmon size wise. For trout try buds spinners size 2-3 or blue fox 2-3 might try changing to size 1 siwash instead of treble hook. Those pillars and that big ledge above it should have a bunch of smaller fish around. Please be aware that there are a lot of smolt in the clackamas at certain times of year. Right now it's should be trout. But earlier in the year u have a ton of smolt in may June.

P
PTownAngler
Yes thank you for that, I finally went out with an experienced fisherman yesterday to the willamette river. He told me the spinner's I were using were WAY TO BIG and I was wasting my time. He said "I would have had just as much luck catching a fish in his driveway with the big ass spinners I was using" He rigged me up with a weight and then a really small treble hook with a nice ball of powerbait and told me I need to get some live worms or some salmon eggs. But ya he said with the #3, and #4 blue fox's I was using, There was no way in hell I was gonna catch a trout. So I stopped at fishermans marine supply yesterday and dropped $30 on some, red eggs, orange eggs, Rainbow super powerbait, and some pink trout dough balls. And got me some number 8 treble hooks even tho the guy working told me NEVER EVER USE TREBLE HOOKS. He told me to get size six Eagle Claw Salmon Egg Hooks, so I got a pack of those as well. Im goin out again tonight and i'm hoping now that im using the right rig, Maybe i'll finally catch my first trout. I'll definitely let ya'll know how I do. Oh ya and one other thing, the last time I went to the clackamas, I ran into another fisherman and he saw I was using a #3 spinner, he told me I should use a #5. Which my buddy said is absolutely insane and I would NEVER EVER EVER catch a trout with a hook that big. Was the fisherman I ran into messin with me? or was he thinkin steel or what?

N
ninja2010
he's messin with ya... not even for steel for this time of year. #5s are okay for winters.

imho spinners are way more fun than plunkin powerbait or worms... but go small and reel slooooow. relax, enjoy the scenery, talk to the fish gods... and when the fish strikes... don't yank too hard. (you'll rip the hook out). the fish will essentially hook itself if it's chasing your spinner. you rarely get "nibbles" when spinner fishing - that's the fun of it - the fish will CRUSH your spinner.