Report thread again... winters.. 2013-14

D
dozer365
Last year a friend of mine started a report thread during this time. It was pretty cool and we kept it alive pretty well. I'd like to make this an informative and picture filled thread. Feel free to contribute what you like.
Today I hit eagle creek and the clackamas. Didn't fish long at anyone place. The water was great on yh both systems. I'd be back at it tomorrow if I could. I fished up feldhiemer way and found a nice bright "wild/native" coho. I've caught a few of these the last couple weeks. Fun fight but a let down after seeing the chrom and pink. I was thinking WINTER!!! But alas not to be yet. My earlist last year was a native in mid December.
I'm hoping the rise in the river level might help bring in some fish. I'll try to post pictures of the river and things when I get out. I'll be purchasing a thermometer so I'll add that to my reports when I think about it.
I hope we all have a bend or two in our futures. Happy holidays and merry Christmas to yall. May the new year bring many bright fish full of fight to you and yours.
pictures of the fish caught on a half ounce silver polished cheapo spoon an gami big bait siwash. hooked by a clay shelf on the roll. picture of bonni lure bridge on 12-21-13 @11 am

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Sounds like a good idea to me. Glad you hooked into something anyway!

Good luck to you all on the Clack,

D
dozer365
and the end of the day was beautiful.... finished up right by the 99 E bridge

D
dozer365
Went back out to eagle creek Sunday and drove up to the hatchery. I didn't see any fish in the ladder or trap entrance. I didn't have a ton of time so no hike into the "canyon". I ended up fishing by snuffin bridge and eagle fern. Hooked a small native something. Between 16-18 inches. One buddy says cuttie. I think maybe a coho jack. Another buddy says steel. Either way it hit a size 4 bronze buds spinner. Fishing a riffle into a pool. Normally holds a fish or two. This is what found my spinner. And the creek and the clack looked great. I fished down by Barton bridge for a few hours with no luck. I saw a few guide boats out working that stretch and heard of a few hooked up Sunday. I'll be fishing this weekend. Feel free to contribute.....

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Hard to see in the pic, but looks like a coho jack or a giant coho smolt.

M
Mutiny
Definitely not a cutthroat, their spots extend bellow the lateral line, some times around the entire body.

P
perfectg03
The pic above is a steelhead. Y'all need to brush up on your fish ID. Yikes

Nice job Dozer

D
DrTheopolis
At 16", it would be a steelhead jack, a smolt that didn't head out(or a freakishly large one), or a resident bow then (hard to see in the pic, but appears to have a rudder).

Y'all need to brush up on your terminology. Yikes.

D
dozer365
Been hearing of a few fish hooked below Barton. Haven't fished anywhere other then the mouth myself and been fishing the coast. I found some luck at the coast. Non whatsoever here on the clack for me. If anyone has been fishing above Barton or by carver feel free to fill in the blank spots. I'd say mid river is the best chance at a fish tell the rain that is predicted this week. That should bring some fish in. Fingers crossed.

F
flytrekker1007
I fished from Feldhiemer to Carver today. Spotted about 7 or so steelhead. No hookups for me or any others but i've been getting dealt a pretty **** hand of cards over the past year. I guess that's what happens when you go from gear fishing to fly fishing. Honestly, the clack has really been a let down over the years. Seems like the fish counts are just not what they used to be.

O
OnTheDrop
dozer365 said:
Been hearing of a few fish hooked below Barton. Haven't fished anywhere other then the mouth myself and been fishing the coast. I found some luck at the coast. Non whatsoever here on the clack for me. If anyone has been fishing above Barton or by carver feel free to fill in the blank spots. I'd say mid river is the best chance at a fish tell the rain that is predicted this week. That should bring some fish in. Fingers crossed.

We've hooked several between Barton-Riverside this season. My biggest went 32" in the 12-13 lb range. Heard of a few big ones hooked and lots of 4-7 pounders..

O
OnTheDrop
flytrekker1007 said:
I fished from Feldhiemer to Carver today. Spotted about 7 or so steelhead. No hookups for me or any others but i've been getting dealt a pretty **** hand of cards over the past year. I guess that's what happens when you go from gear fishing to fly fishing. Honestly, the clack has really been a let down over the years. Seems like the fish counts are just not what they used to be.

It's also one of the toughest rivers to fish hands down. ( Well, to have a banner day on )

I agree, the counts aren't what they use to be...

Give it a few weeks...

D
dozer365
SteelmonKiller20 said:
We've hooked several between Barton-Riverside this season. My biggest went 32" in the 12-13 lb range. Heard of a few big ones hooked and lots of 4-7 pounders..

Thanx for the input and report. I'll be out tomorrow on the clack. Trying for my first winter out of this system of the season. Might hit eagle creek too. Wonder how many fish are bound that way this year. Hope more then 230 they got last year..... Will report back tomorrow. Although it will be a whole new river in 2-3 days.

D
dozer365
this is how i feel when my float drops on the clack lately

this is how i feel when my float drops on the clack lately

got a summer at the mouth of dog creek today... I also fished very briefly at eagle fern and at bonnie lure... I fished pink worms and a spinner as the water was murkey but not blown yet or muddy at all. it was actually pretty nice but flowing hard.... picked it up on a sandshrimp tail on an all black jig in about 18" of water. it put up a very good fight and had my mind trying to figure out what it was... it was running like crazy in that bowl and rolling like a coho... but fought like a Chinook... turned out to be just shy of 33'' summer... I was set to release him... when a few of the other's fishing at dog creek asked if they could keep it... so I bonked it, tagged it, and handed it over... I like that. no hassle or mess and the fish got eaten im sure. plus I made a buddy who wants me to show him " the way's" haha ill be lucky if I can hook one myself I told him... but I didn't see any winters taken other then one out of eagle creek... so maybe we are getting some back to eagle creek this year.. good luck ya'll. I might give eagle creek a go tomorrow if the rivers don't blow to bad

O
OnTheDrop
Sweet doze.

If Eagle creek came back to life I'd be ecstatic. Such a nostalgic feeling up there for myself.

F
flytrekker1007
I agree. Eagle Creek is a diamond in the rough. I love that place. There is something exciting about swinging a fly in front of a fish that you can watch strike.

B
bigboy70
Went to McIver yesterday they said Saturday couple fish were hooked. Obviously one was your and some guy said he pulled a chromer out as for Sunday there were like ten ppl fishing it so I said screw that went lower river was still green with visibility of pike 3 or 4ft but the river was hauling. All in all beautiful day on the river

R
Rockitout
Spent the morning around Riverside, the afternoon at Barton, I had high hopes for the day. Nothing to show for it except an angry beaver slapping its tail. Only heard of one boat getting a hook up.

D
dozer365
So I've been neglecting the clackamas and this thread. Been fishing the coast.... But now that they big water made a showing I'll be switching my focus to the clack again.
The river is starting to look good and the catch is improving. I've seen a few banked in the clearing water and such over this last weekend. I didn't fish it much myself but a few of the regulars that now the river are starting to hook up. Maybe a guy like me will finally have a chance. Good luck and looking forward to some chrom blinding pics from you guys. Feel free to show off your catch. Even if you post a duplicate picture from another thread. Let's put on a good demonstration to those nasty N.F.S sandy and hatchery haters. Let a premier river shine!!!!!

Last edited:
D
dozer365
So I've been neglecting the clackamas and this thread. Been fishing the coast.... But now that they big water made a showing I'll be switching my focus to the clack again.
The river is starting to look good and the catch is improving. I've seen a few banked in the clearing water and such over this last weekend. I didn't fish it much myself but a few of the regulars that now the river are starting to hook up. Maybe a guy like me will finally have a chance. Good luck and looking forward to some chrom blinding pics from you guys. Feel free to show off your catch. Even if you post a duplicate picture from another thread. Let's put on a good demonstration to those nasty N.F.S sandy and hatchery haters. Let a premier river shine!!!!!