Report thread again... winters.. 2013-14

D
DrTheopolis
We often hit Feldheimers to Barton or Carver, but needed to keep it short and easy those days.

When the water gets lower, Clackamas Sled Idiot won't be as prevalent. Although it was a driftboat that gave us the worst low-holing those days. Actually raced past us as we redeployed plugs after the unbuttoning, and camped immediately below us, after they saw us lose the fish. It's usually the sleds that provide the low-holing horror stories.

B
bigboy70
Ive hit the clack this year a lot almost every weekend since Nov only 2 short hook ups so far

D
DrTheopolis
As always, the Clack is a fickle mistress.

"Red hot" days are few and far between.

And there was a new snag in the Secret Hole, which made it difficult to float a jig through. And yes, we do have a "secret hole" on the Clack.

B
bigboy70
Sure does

O
outdoorgb
I've been hitting it hard after work all month when water levels have been fishable. Nothing for me thus far but I'm new at the non-fly fishing set ups.
Took the kayak out a couple of times at Riverside. Starting to learn how to fish the clack from this thing. When the water level is right, it's a blast.
I'm heading out of work now for another crack before the rain gets things up again.

D
dozer365
The river is fitting to dirty up quick. I tried today but the flow was coming up and my exit was sketchy when I made my way up. I thought I'd try early today while the water wasn't so bad.... No dice. But tide change is right now. I should have went on Oregon city side and waited tell now.*
**U bet that darn vision boat puts the hurting on em today. A few of my friends and that boat work this section pretty regular and it has been hit and miss this year. Last year this same section was money!!! I think the flows are messed up and also the flows are higher in general this year.*
** *Ahewwmmm there are still hatchery fish coming in!! I've seen a few very nice bright broodstock caught the last few days. Also a good amount of wilds. Seems to be about 3-1 ratio this week. Last year 1-1. So maybe broodstock are mostly up river or yet to come. But with this predicted water height I'd be focusing my effort in the upper stretches of clack tell mid April when the flows get back to seasonal "norms" and I can resume fishing the lower reaches for fresh, FRESH summers and springers.*
*Here is a nice one I got last weekend at Mciver park.this fish really worked me good. he was a fun fight and what steelheading is all about.he briefly left the water for a pic and then swam stong to make more beautiful native fish.i've taken to "pegging" my corky about "2 above my hook. lost one out of 4, size 1 owner. the one I lost was on a gami. but I don't think it was the hooks fault as I said I tried landing it soft and let pressure off the rod tip while reaching for my phone haha. Not even near dog creek lol. It's a circus up there btw. I just picked up a berkley IM8 9'6" med-lgt 6-10 rod I've been drifting uv corky's with since I got it Friday. I've hooked 4 banked 3 and lost the one trying to do a soft landing on a Nate.*
**I hooked one an lost it on spoon. I've not been able to hook up with a jig. I might try 1/4 oz heads cuz I think they are presenting wrong..... Idk
**And last night I snapped a selfy with a feisty lil' Nate. The magic in being able to feel my drift is amazing. I was happy not to snag up before lol let alone hook a fish. Now.. Well time will tell

Last edited:
D
dozer365
DrTheopolis said:
As always, the Clack is a fickle mistress.

"Red hot" days are few and far between.

And there was a new snag in the Secret Hole, which made it difficult to float a jig through. And yes, we do have a "secret hole" on the Clack.
there are no secret holes just less known ones :harhar:

D
dozer365
ChezJfrey said:
Whatever you do, don't go fishing with Dozer...he's got the hot hand right now with 4 hookups in two days and if you fish two days in a row with that guy and get nothing to show for it, while he's hooking fish, you will just get depressed at how much you suck...I speak with experience over the last couple days. LOL

P.S. Dozer, you forgot to show 'em that husky fish from higher up...that thing had some mass I could feel holding the rod while you unhooked it :)

well u didn't go with me.... so u had the hot hand yesterday! let's see em.. I want fish pic's lol and thanx for the ego boost.. but this year is treating me rough compared to last year

D
DrTheopolis
dozer365 said:
there are no secret holes just less known ones

We have a place where we never see signs of other people fishing (tackle, garbage, whatever). Boat access only. If the river is anything but high, we have to drag the boat into it (always a treat), and it seems to have new snags/submerged trees that have made it tough to fish. Got a brief hookup last weekend, and it immediately found a snag. Not what it was last year, when it was just about a guaranteed hookup every time (sometimes more than one). Got greenhorns into their first fish there. But the river always changes, and those secret holes always seem to go away in time.

D
DrTheopolis
I suppose it's encouraging that the actual water level is 3 feet below the prediction right now. Might fish better than we think in the coming days.

C
ChezJfrey
dozer365 said:
well u didn't go with me.... so u had the hot hand yesterday! let's see em.. I want fish pic's lol and thanx for the ego boost.. but this year is treating me rough compared to last year

OK, OK...

2 for 3 yesterday, with one wild that was set free sans photo; thing already had gear down its throat, so figured less hassle was warranted.

2014-03-27_12-42-28_308.jpg

C
ChezJfrey
15 ft.? Pffffft...

Have tried drifting more, to better myself. But, finally caved today and went back to the magic spoon...of course that is where my true steelhead mojo lies :)

2014-03-30_18-53-16_191.jpg

D
DrTheopolis
Landing one at that river level makes you a certified STUD.

C
ChezJfrey
Hooked another one tonight down low. Hit a copper spoon and got one aerial and two runs, but after a minute on the line, came unbuttoned. That gives me a hookup streak of 5 consecutive outings, with a tally of 6 for 8 on three different rivers...call me cool hand Luke ;)

B
bigboy70
Ha LOL!

O
outdoorgb
Nice work ChezJ...I tried some spoons a few days ago with no luck. How large, weight, are the spoons? No problem if your technique is top secret....
I was using 1/2 oz silver with some pink stripes (shrimp color)...

C
ChezJfrey
outdoorgb said:
Nice work ChezJ...I tried some spoons a few days ago with no luck. How large, weight, are the spoons? No problem if your technique is top secret....
I was using 1/2 oz silver with some pink stripes (shrimp color)...

Both spoons were 2/5 oz Lil Cleos. The higher, colored water was a chrome/blue and the one yesterday was copper. The technique is simple, I drift them with a mostly slack line. As it starts to swing toward shore, I lower the rod to reduce the line tension. I find that the spoon merely moving through the water itself creates a very slow wobble; you want it barely wafting in the water...too much tension creates action that is too fast.

The 3/30 fish hit when the spoon was just over half way through the swing. The fish last night, I was letting it hang for a couple seconds at the very end of the swing and was just sitting stationary. A guy was quitting for the day and walking out. He stopped to ask me how things were going and I turned to talk to him, while letting the spoon hang for a couple seconds at the end, when my rod double-pumped, then the line started running and I set the hook. He exclaimed, "I was watching the whole thing and saw your rod just go down!" Pretty cool.

But really, learn to just drift it through with little to no tension on the line and just watch it for bumps and hesitations...super effective. Of course the fish last night was unmistakable when the rod just pumps and line takes off :)

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
You could tell he was boiling with envy lol happy and PO at the same time.

C
ChezJfrey
bigboy70 said:
You could tell he was boiling with envy lol happy and PO at the same time.

LOL, yeah, I got that vibe from him too. Excited and PO at the same time...hehehehe.

O
outdoorgb
Thanks for the help...looks like I have a new technique to try out.